Subject: "I'm sleep deprived and getting ideas" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74600
Show all folders

Navarone1984Tue 19-Oct-21 07:53 AM
Member since 12th Nov 2016
76 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74600, "I'm sleep deprived and getting ideas"

So let me just start this post by saying god bless the people still playing this game and sticking through these times. You are doing god's work my brothers and sisters.

I just wanted to post about my experiences coming back to the game, and trying to learn about PK. I should start by saying that I am not new to CF but I am certainly new to PK. Just to give you some perspective on my situation, you could literally count the number of PK's I've had on all my characters combined with one hand, and you wouldn't need all your fingers. I don't mind telling you that I am BAD at PK. Whether it's from lack of knowledge or talent I haven't quite figured out yet, but anyway.

As said, I came back to the game after about 4 years wanting to learn how to PK. Let me just say that the playerbase (PB) is really awesome and the culture has changed a lot since I started playing over ten years ago. I never ran into someone that tried to grief me, I never had someone take and gear that they didn't need (no one took my academy leathers) and everyone has been super helpful as far as sharing knowledge. Those are the good things.

The bad?

Obviously the count sucks. It's between 10 and 15 most times and around 20 at it's peak. Which seem odd to me when I see all the obvious effort that has been placed into making the game more newbie friendly. I mean, between the in game stuff and the FAQs on this site and Dio's, anyone that wants to put in the effort shouldn't lack for basic knowledge on how to play your class, areas, etc. However, there is an problem with the playerbase that I have seen and again this is just my perspective as someone that is new to this aspect of the game. The knowledge gap between the vets and the newbies is ridiculous. It seriously feels, as a newbie, that you are playing a different game. Between the skill level, area knowledge and the gear a very real problem emerges. Newbies stop learning because they get beat down so fast and hard that they have no idea what is happening. Let me explain it like this : You can't learn anything if you get killed in two or three rounds by some guy with hero-level gear AND a skill level gained through hours and hours of gameplay, right?(Or the thing you learn is to not engage that guy again and just run away when you see him next. A bad lesson and one that is a detriment to the game IMO) However, if the fight lasts for 10 or 15 rounds, you can start to see what works and what doesn't. (All of this is predicated on the newbie actually giving a crap about getting better and not wanting the game handed to him/her) I know this may seem like a small thing, but getting beaten down over and over is fine as long as you learn something about the encounter and as long as you learned something then you just got better as the game.

Now, this game should incentivize interaction right? So how do you incentivize pk interaction. How do you make it to where Vets want to play (the game needs vets) and new players that want to get better and can handle getting beat down as long as they learned something?(the game need new players too)? Well..I have an idea.

1. We have to bring back edge points for PK. Gotta do it guys. I am sure that the staff has been hearing people complain about this since it was implemented, but just hear me out. I really don't need to explain the appeal of edges to anyone here, I think. But I just want to highlight that EPs for PK not only incentivizes PK interaction (good for the game and appealing to everyone especially vets) but makes you enjoy your character more (again good for the game and especially everyone). Now was it does do is incentivize something very very bad for the game. Multikilling WITHOUT LEARNING. I want to make sure that that is stressed. Getting killed is fine as long as you learn something. The Vets are going to kill as many people as possible to get those sweet sweet edge points as well as clout, imm recognition, and so on which leaves them that much more powerful. This in turn means that the gap between newbie and vet grows (no inherently bad), but what do the newbies get out of getting beaten down constantly? Well it should be experience and getting a little better with each encounter, right. Well not if the fights go to fast which brings me to my second thing.

2. Leveled gear. I don't if this is even do-able or if the effort to do it would even be worth it, but I think that we something like this to balance the HUGE skill level gap between the Vets and the newbies. Basically you can't wear gear that is above your pk range. So, as it is now, if you are a vet and you know the ins and outs of this game and you can get some nice high-level gear in the lowbie ranks. This again leads to newbies not learning anything. Vets don't need gear to win fights, right? Good gear only makes thing easier for them. You dont have to chase as much, you dont have account for as much stuff with a 2-3 round beatdown than with a 15 round chess/checkers match, right? Put a vet and a newbie in academy leathers and the Vet is going to win barring some RNG anomaly and the Vet gets his/her edge points and the newbie gets knowledge. This also keeps people from being carried by good gear which is a bad thing for the game as well. Also, it's less of a morale hit if/when you get looted, because the gear in that you can wear should, at lowbie ranks, be relatively easy to get, you know? You want that bawling hero gear? Rank up to hero levels.

3. Get rid of con loss for pk. Don't understand why this is a thing. I'll tell you this. For me? Nothing makes me want to log off more than getting beatdown and seeing you con reduced. It's punitive for what? Not being good at the game? It may have made since at a different time in CF history but now it just seems out of place and wrong. And it really only affects newbies.

The End Game.
So what do I think this will do? At low ranks, you'll see Vets in sh^t gear with a lot of edges beating down newbie with sh*t gear. but the newbies will be staying logged in more and getting better much faster because of the nature of the battles. Minimal looting. Mid ranks? same as before with a little bit more looting. Hero ranks? The same as it is now but with a lot more edges for everyone. Most importantly, you have everyone, win or loss, getting something real out of the fight.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT TopicI'm sleep deprived and getting ideas [View all] , Navarone1984, Tue 19-Oct-21 07:53 AM
Reply I agree, but don't, Valkenar, 12-Nov-21 09:35 PM, #30
Reply Imms should pay attention to this. Especially no 2., vorian, 31-Oct-21 02:24 PM, #5
Reply How to git gud, jalbrin, 19-Oct-21 01:15 PM, #3
Reply How to git CF better, vorian, 31-Oct-21 02:46 PM, #6
Reply Meh, Destuvius, 31-Oct-21 03:19 PM, #7
     Reply RE: Meh, vorian, 31-Oct-21 08:27 PM, #8
          Reply Logical fallacy, Destuvius, 01-Nov-21 10:31 AM, #9
               Reply shifting attention away from the real subject , vorian, 01-Nov-21 06:46 PM, #10
                    Reply You not liking an answer doesnt mean its not an answer, Destuvius, 02-Nov-21 04:27 PM, #11
                         Reply I have to chime in here., Navarone1984, 02-Nov-21 06:58 PM, #12
                              Reply RE: I have to chime in here., Destuvius, 04-Nov-21 10:05 AM, #13
                                   Reply The question remains: why people stop playing CF?, vorian, 05-Nov-21 06:49 PM, #16
                                        Reply RE: The question remains: why people stop playing CF?, Ishuli, 06-Nov-21 09:51 AM, #17
                                             Reply Just wondering., Navarone1984, 06-Nov-21 01:01 PM, #18
                                                  Reply My take on this, Destuvius, 06-Nov-21 01:48 PM, #19
                                                  Reply I agree about this game being niche., Navarone1984, 06-Nov-21 02:30 PM, #22
                                                  Reply Everyone else grew up and started adulting regularly. n..., Lhydia, 06-Nov-21 02:06 PM, #20
                                                       Reply What?, Navarone1984, 06-Nov-21 02:16 PM, #21
                                                       Reply Two or three for sure, thanks. n/t, Lhydia, 06-Nov-21 02:31 PM, #23
                                                            Reply You don't actually have anything constructive to say do..., Navarone1984, 06-Nov-21 02:57 PM, #24
                                                                 Reply no i will never play again n/t, Lhydia, 06-Nov-21 03:22 PM, #25
                                                                      Reply You should nt, Navarone1984, 06-Nov-21 04:05 PM, #26
                                                                           Reply maybe once the bugs on the bug board are gone n/t, Lhydia, 06-Nov-21 06:03 PM, #28
                                                       Reply Pretty much., Ishuli, 06-Nov-21 04:26 PM, #27
                                                            Reply Just publicity is not enough, vorian, 12-Nov-21 03:44 PM, #29
Reply RE: How to git gud, vorian, 04-Nov-21 03:11 PM, #14
     Reply RE: How to git gud, jalbrin, 05-Nov-21 06:17 AM, #15
Reply Stopped reading at pk edge points helps newbies. n/t, Lhydia, 19-Oct-21 10:14 AM, #1
     Reply You should have kept reading. There's more stuff in the..., Navarone1984, 19-Oct-21 10:21 AM, #2
          Reply RE: You should have kept reading. There's more stuff in..., Jagre (Anonymous), 21-Oct-21 01:49 PM, #4
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74600 Previous topic | Next topic