Subject: "The count command, and counting players you cannot see. Discuss." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74444
Show all folders

GaplemoFri 05-Feb-21 09:51 PM
Member since 06th May 2010
618 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74444, "The count command, and counting players you cannot see. Discuss."

So recently on the Discord a discussion came up, that I think would make for a good discussion here.

Currently, you can use the count command and it will show you how many users there are currently online, and how many of them you can see.

I think this is a detriment to the game, and a massive disadvantage to hiding classes, camo classes, even invisible classes. It is an inherent OOC way for you to know weather it is safe to raid, to defend, and it by default causes people to behave a certain way when their character should have no idea if that assassin is still around to stalk them, that ranger to ambush them, that thief to steal from them, and so on.

Finding out if someone is hidden, camo, etc should be an IC thing. You want to know? Ask an assassin, ask a thief, ask a ranger, and hope they don't lie to you. I think the count command and knowing how many players are online that you cannot see is a clear disadvantage to any class with a way to shroud themselves, it will cause people to be overly cautious and maybe even avoid activities that would put themselves in any danger until they can type count and be sure there is no danger to them.

What are the chances we can get that command removed? Let the hiders hide, the rangers roam, the mages become invisible and so forth. You shouldn't know if there is some unseen threat lurking around by using an ooc game command. I think it is bad for the game and bad for the mechanics of CF as a hole. I think a lot of players would agree with me, and I hope we can have a discussion or perhaps some immortal input on possibly getting this changed and removed so the game has a feeling of danger and excitement again from always having to expect the unexpected.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicThe count command, and counting players you cannot see.... [View all] , Gaplemo, Fri 05-Feb-21 09:51 PM
Reply More assassins to the Fields of Assassins!, Assassin (Anonymous), 10-Feb-21 07:03 PM, #10
Reply The count command can easily be IC if you want it to be..., rex spangler, 10-Feb-21 04:37 PM, #9
Reply RE: The count command, and counting players you cannot ..., lasentia, 08-Feb-21 02:50 PM, #8
Reply Cheesy Feature, Amora, 08-Feb-21 09:45 AM, #5
Reply RE: Cheesy Feature, Jhyrbian, 08-Feb-21 10:06 AM, #6
Reply RE: Cheesy Feature, lasentia, 08-Feb-21 10:47 AM, #7
Reply RE: The count command, and counting players you cannot ..., Jhyrbian, 08-Feb-21 08:57 AM, #3
Reply Count command rebuttle, Blkdrgn, 06-Feb-21 07:44 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Count command rebuttle, Duergar (Anonymous), 06-Feb-21 08:25 AM, #2
     Reply I liked the count command, lasentia, 08-Feb-21 09:18 AM, #4
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74444 Previous topic | Next topic