Subject: "I don't understand the upside of the age penalty." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74009
Show all folders

JavaMon 24-Feb-20 04:18 PM
Member since 07th Apr 2003
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#74015, "I don't understand the upside of the age penalty."

I agree that obstacles and challenges are good for the game. If permanent con-loss wasn't a thing, dying (especially to mobs) would lose pretty much all meaning, and the challenge of trying to stay alive would be meaningless and boring. So that's where I'm coming from. Challenges are good. Obstacles and disincentives to risky behavior are very much necessary.

But the age-loss of wither doesn't actually do that, because its so rare to actually land, and even rarer for that to truly impact a character (since age-deaths are so very rare). It's a non-obstacle, because no one is concerned that it will land. Nor should they be, because the chances of it actually mattering are so close to zero it isn't worth it. Just do the math.. how many times is the wither commune used, and how often does someone age-die prematurely because of it? It isn't even worth considering.

So if it doesn't provide that feeling of "risk" and make the game more fun by introducing a different challenge, what DOES it provide to the game?

All it really does is make it possible that a long-lived and established character will disappear somewhat earlier than normal. Typically, I think we all WANT these long-lived and established characters around. We celebrate characters like Gilversplitz that lived for years, don't we? Wouldn't we have done the same for a well-respected character like Andaluvion? So I don't see how that character disappearing earlier (even if it isn't as dramatic difference as we think) can be seen as a positive.

In short.. the only actual result of the current aging aspect of wither is a negative for the game and for the players. So why keep it as-is?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicRegarding wither - Move longevity? [View all] , Adrigon, Thu 20-Feb-20 01:26 PM
Reply RE: Regarding wither - Move longevity?, Ishuli, 20-Feb-20 01:46 PM, #1
     Reply I don't understand the upside of the age penalty., Java, 24-Feb-20 04:18 PM #2
          Reply RE: I don't understand the upside of the age penalty., incognito, 25-Feb-20 04:03 AM, #3
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74009 Previous topic | Next topic