Subject: "The hardcore playerkillers have left the game" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #73098
Show all folders

-flsoThu 02-May-19 05:42 PM
Member since 02nd Oct 2007
296 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73099, "The hardcore playerkillers have left the game"

bring them back and you probably have a game again.

CF was first and foremost an RP-enforced _player-killing_ game. Reading some of the recent posts,
I can't believe how out of touch with reality some IMMs are when they think that RP flair and a Steam client will make any difference.
What would make a difference, is going back to what made CF fun for the vast majority.

Some personal notes:

I've never been accused of cheating or had any problems with the IMMs.
I've always played long-lived characters, one at a time.
I've had multiple cabal leaders, been tattooed and rewarded in different ways and to the best of my knowledge others enjoyed playing with and against me. Most of my CF buddies have left the game for similar reasons:

+ PK edge points were a way for players to guide their own character development without depending on IMMs, doing what the game is built for: Killing other players. They promoted constant fighting and increased strife. This led to an active, immersive, emergent game. Yes there may have been downsides, but I clearly believe the good (far) outweighed the bad. Plus, everyone had an incentive to play regardless of timezone or presence of IMMs. If there were enemies logged-in, you had reasons to play since you could grow your character via edges.

+ Taking away skills and spells/scrolls/abilities that had an emergent quality to them and led
to interesting situations while encouraging player interaction. Transmute metal to wood was a GREAT ability. It was removed. Big mistake.

+ The absence of immortals who contributed to dynamism/asymmetry in various ways. Ray/Nep were great for the game. Ray had a big following and lots of players logged on just because of her and Nep contributed in various ways. Introducing broken, overpowered skills and taking advantage of weird builds were great for the game since they cause strife and ultimately induce players to play more.

+ The closing down of areas that attracted lots of players. What did you expect would happen?

So basically, the game has moved in a more IMM-controlled, shoehorned, sterile direction with predictable effects. If you want a dynamic, healthy game you need to tilt the balance towards players. Encourage unpredictability and emergent situations that do not require IMM oversight. Give people reasons to play. Let them grow their characters by doing what the game was built for: Playerkilling.
I won't hold my breath.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy

Locked Topicwhat would bring uou back topic [View all] , dro, Thu 02-May-19 05:03 PM
Reply The hardcore playerkillers have left the game, -flso, 02-May-19 05:42 PM #1
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #73098 Previous topic | Next topic