Subject: "RE: Entropy discussion from Battlefields" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #72212
Show all folders

JavaTue 04-Dec-18 03:37 PM
Member since 07th Apr 2003
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#72213, "RE: Entropy discussion from Battlefields"

I'm going to quote a few pieces of the ENTROPY helpfile:
"Entropy strives to bring Thera to its natural state of disorder -- free from civilization"
"Entropists wage war on rules and societal mores"
"seek to hasten the collapse of the orderly systems"

That is three snippets from the Entropy helpfile, from three different paragraphs. As-written, Entropy IS about ending civilization (violently or otherwise).

And to compare, here are all of the lines about magic:
"referred to as Chaos Mages"
"Entropy accepts only chaotic anti-paladins, invokers, necromancers, shapeshifters, and transmuters. Conjurers are not allowed, as binding any creature into servitude is anathema to the Barons of Chaos."

I will trust you when you tell me the priorities and goals of the cabal. But if you're struggling to find players who adhere to your viewpoint, I recommend you re-write the helpfile (and possibly other in-game lore) to better define what you view Entropy as. Because as it stands right now, a player that can't see into your mind only has that helpfile to go off of.

What I would also recommend: Clarify what Entropy's goals are in-game. They need something concrete to do. "Do whatever the hell you want" is great and all, but it leads to pretty empty gameplay. Players need achievable goals to focus on, otherwise they're just wandering around.

Based on your explanation here though, I have a few questions:
1. Entropy needs a "why". You can say they want to disrupt social structure and expectations.. but why do they want to? What do they hope to accomplish?
2. Apart from casting spells, what does an Entropist actually contribute to Carrion Fields? I feel like the default is a fallback to the IC philosopher position of "they do whatever they feel like", but from an OOC perspective.. what is that supposed to be? What does the cabal actually add to the rest of the game?
3. You said there were some good Entropists with this new incarnation. Which characters actually "got it" and played Entropy the way you view it was meant to be played? Literally every other cabal has examples of the ideal, and I'm sure most of us could name them. I know, every character can have wrinkles, but who's come closest to the ideal Entropist?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT TopicEntropy discussion from Battlefields [View all] , Rahsael, Tue 04-Dec-18 03:00 PM
Reply Entropy in Practice, Pico’s Sugar Baby (Anonymous), 05-Dec-18 10:25 AM, #10
Reply RE: Entropy in Practice, Rahsael, 05-Dec-18 12:34 PM, #12
     Reply Fwiw, incognito, 05-Dec-18 03:07 PM, #16
     Reply RE: Entropy in Practice, Thaedan (Anonymous), 08-Dec-18 07:21 PM, #23
Reply It’s just too open ended, laxman, 05-Dec-18 10:16 AM, #9
Reply This. Magic focus cabal would make much (more) sense, Calion, 05-Dec-18 02:51 PM, #14
Reply Make powers work and RP will follow, Riigda (Anonymous), 05-Dec-18 09:41 AM, #8
Reply Like for real, Kstatida, 05-Dec-18 08:29 AM, #7
Reply Beacuse it was used to enslave a whole race (see felar)..., SPN, 05-Dec-18 11:46 AM, #11
     Reply Just wait until I tell you how many of them used swords..., Ishuli, 05-Dec-18 02:52 PM, #15
     Reply RE: Beacuse it was used to enslave a whole race (see fe..., Kstatida, 06-Dec-18 04:32 AM, #20
Reply Chaotic characters., Tesline, 04-Dec-18 05:13 PM, #2
Reply Nice list!, Rahsael, 04-Dec-18 06:53 PM, #4
Reply RE: Nice list!, Thaedan (Anonymous), 08-Dec-18 07:26 PM, #24
Reply WTF?, Jormyr, 06-Dec-18 12:13 AM, #19
     Reply Current MCU deadpool is chaotic good., Tesline, 08-Dec-18 03:28 PM, #22
          Reply RE: Current MCU deadpool is chaotic good., ice king, 09-Dec-18 08:06 AM, #25
Reply RE: Entropy discussion from Battlefields, Java, 04-Dec-18 03:37 PM #1
     Reply RE: Entropy discussion from Battlefields, Rahsael, 04-Dec-18 06:47 PM, #3
          Reply RE: Entropy discussion from Battlefields, Patrisaurus, 05-Dec-18 01:18 AM, #5
          Reply I get what you're saying, Java, 05-Dec-18 06:57 AM, #6
               Reply RE: I get what you're saying, Rahsael, 05-Dec-18 12:38 PM, #13
                    Reply The solution is simple (at least in my mind), TJHuron, 05-Dec-18 08:01 PM, #17
                         Reply Shameless plug:chaos rift, laxman, 05-Dec-18 08:22 PM, #18
                         Reply Despoil is broken, let's not repeat past mistakes, -flso, 06-Dec-18 08:03 AM, #21
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #72212 Previous topic | Next topic