Subject: "Eh, you fired up my obsessiveness, too." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #69637
Show all folders

JormyrThu 04-Jan-18 02:33 AM
Member since 31st Dec 2014
419 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69648, "Eh, you fired up my obsessiveness, too."

If Ishuli forgets, I'll nag him.

That said, I used a few extra tools and checked on a number of these items. There's a *lot* of these that I'd be uncomfortable or unable to change due to one (or more) of the following reasons.

1) Progs or quests involving the items which for whatever reason might require duplicate items.
2) Some of these are duplicate items, but within different (though often nearby) areas. There's not really a safe way to do this without just duplicating the item within the new area, otherwise it risks the game crashing if you're not careful. Think...random Udgaardian patrolman who happens to be visiting Seantryn Modan or something, vs. being on the trails.
3) Many of these are *truly* different items, just writer A and writer B both decided they wanted a pair of blue leggings in their area, or a steel sword, for example. Particularly with simple gear, it's not surprising that four different areas have "a steel sword" in them.
4) The classic example of the pitch-black ring. These are three different items of different mobs, and it's sorta the treasure hunt/prize that the tougher mob has an upgraded version of the item. Any area written today probably wouldn't let this fly, but I'm loathe to suddenly change decades-old areas and muck around in someone else's creative works.

Finally, there *are* the cases where it does appear that the writer used copy/paste to create individual vnum gear for each NPC, and those I wouldn't mind clearing up. I'll check back when I have a little more time myself, and/or check in with Ishuli, but sofar there's been maybe...two that appear to truly be duplicated gear.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicItem Cleanup [View all] , Tac, Wed 03-Jan-18 12:40 PM
Reply RE: Item Cleanup, Ishuli, 03-Jan-18 02:26 PM, #2
Reply One more thing, but would require coder..., Tac, 03-Jan-18 03:20 PM, #4
Reply Also, Thank you!, Tac, 03-Jan-18 03:24 PM, #5
     Reply RE: Also, Thank you!, Thaedan (Anonymous), 03-Jan-18 10:24 PM, #6
     Reply You should seriously consider dumping long descs for it..., Tac, 04-Jan-18 10:00 AM, #9
     Reply Eh, you fired up my obsessiveness, too., Jormyr, 04-Jan-18 02:33 AM #7
          Reply RE: Eh, you fired up my obsessiveness, too., Thaedan (Anonymous), 04-Jan-18 08:30 AM, #8
          Reply RE: Eh, you fired up my obsessiveness, too., Tac, 04-Jan-18 10:05 AM, #10
               Reply RE: Eh, you fired up my obsessiveness, too., Thaedan (Anonymous), 04-Jan-18 11:51 AM, #11
               Reply RE: Eh, you fired up my obsessiveness, too., Jormyr, 04-Jan-18 06:57 PM, #12
Reply A small thing to point out., ice king, 03-Jan-18 01:21 PM, #1
     Reply Yea. Ideally those would be distinguishable though..., Tac, 03-Jan-18 03:19 PM, #3
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #69637 Previous topic | Next topic