Subject: "Planar Sanctum Bugs/Bad Design/WTF?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #69099
Show all folders

TacThu 12-Oct-17 09:30 AM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69099, "Planar Sanctum Bugs/Bad Design/WTF?"

I can't decide if these are bugs, or bad design or what, so posting to gameplay to get some indication of what is what.

1) Some of the wands can be used outside the Sanctum. Some of them can only? be used outside (not 100% sure on this).

I strongly suspect this is a known issue and is by design. I only mention it because they break the general rules on # of charges and spell level vs. wand level.

2) Earth elementals stoneshatter

I get why this makes sense from a 'earth magic' perspective, but I don't think a being made of stone would cast the thing that shatters stone. That's just me. Not a major issue really except for 3.

3) Wand of marble does 'earth rift' spell, but is made of stone.

Making it pretty ineffective at it's purpose because of #2.

4) Wand of "acid" is no such thing. It also contains 'earth rift' spell.

Which makes the useable against the earth elementals, but makes a noticeable lack of acid spells for smoke plane. All the others have a polar opposite, and this wand clearly *should* be for smoke plane, but isn't. Virtiolic stream, acid blast, etc. would make more sense.

5) Fire elementals are opposed by ice, and magma by water.

Even though that should be reversed. It even makes sense, like with physics. Ice to cool magma and stop it, water to smother fire and stop it. I didn't double check this but I'm 95% sure I've checked in the past and this is the case. The other 5% says they're both double vuln ice and neither is overly vuln water.

6) Water elementals can't be struck by fire... because underwater.

Not clear answer for this one other than it's magic fire and maybe it works underwater? Seems odd that this element can't be opposed by it's opposite because the very plane prevents the opposite from being. If all planes prevented their polar opposite, or none of them, it would make more sense, but all-but-one seems silly.

Maybe just make them on top of water instead of submerged?

7) (Lightning, Radiance, Steam, Minerals, Dust, Salt, Ash, and
Vacuum)

Someone get their lazy bones on making the other planes.

8) Everything dispels.

This is just annoying for a place designed for mage ranking. It just feels unnecessarily punishing against the exact people meant to use the place.

9) Some? partial shifts can be dispelled.

which makes no sense and I don't think applies to all of them. I know paws of the cheetah can be dispelled, but I don't think horns of the bull can. Consistency would be nice. Also partial shifts shouldn't be dispellable as they are body modifications. Just IMO.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicPlanar Sanctum Bugs/Bad Design/WTF? [View all] , Tac, Thu 12-Oct-17 09:30 AM
Reply Just to answer a little bit, but not all of it., Ishuli, 12-Oct-17 11:58 AM, #1
     Reply Are we going by DnD rules now?, Tac, 12-Oct-17 12:20 PM, #2
          Reply Sometimes., Ishuli, 12-Oct-17 12:39 PM, #3
          Reply I actually submitted an area idea, mage, 23-Nov-17 08:35 AM, #8
          Reply Sanctum is fine, Kstatida, 13-Oct-17 03:13 AM, #4
               Reply Thank you for the feedback, Tac, 13-Oct-17 10:19 AM, #5
                    Reply Its a cool area., Lhydia, 13-Oct-17 12:50 PM, #6
                         Reply Criticism can be tough..., Saagkri, 14-Oct-17 02:24 PM, #7
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #69099 Previous topic | Next topic