Subject: "Accretion - Design by Landfill: A Longterm Strategy? - Extra Credits" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #68179
Show all folders

TacMon 22-May-17 08:42 AM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#68179, "Accretion - Design by Landfill: A Longterm Strategy? - Extra Credits"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL_bCwiUKNE&list=PLhyKYa0YJ_5CgpIEF_aJw2ABVhTDiCaSO&index=14

I really like this video as it talks about both the good and bad parts of this design philosophy. I'm not sure if CF falls into this design directly, or perhaps swaps between accretion and refinement. I tend toward the later, as the I see the edge point fix as a refinement... Basically taking something that went wildly out of control and fix it to be more in line with the original design, and yet it leaves those who are used to and enjoy the accretion style pretty off-put. You've taken that new content they were excited about and turned off the spigot. I know I've experienced both feelings with regard to edges myself.

It also has some interesting stuff to say about complexity, depth, and accessibility to new players. One thing that routinely prevents me from even attempting to introduce a new player to CF is that even if I could get them over the text and client hurdles, the amount of game knowledge I would need to dump into their heads to get them to the place where they can experience the fun parts (to me) is astronomical. I can't give a 1 hour tutorial and cover even what I would consider the basics. I actually tried during Orctober and the one person I got to clear the text/client hurdle just bogged down in the Academy and never actually played the game.

I'm not trying to say CF is patently wrong, as clearly veteran players like the accretion. They want the new. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited about enchanters, but at the same time how much does adding a new class raise the bar for a new player? I'm not sure, but I think it is something worth thinking about. And being intentional about. Is CF design by accretion? Is it refinement? If it is somewhere in the middle, how do we keep the good parts of both (new stuff to keep old players excited, and simple enough base gameplay to have a new player get engaged) while avoiding the bad parts of both? (ever increasing complexity, and stale gameplay for those who mastered the basics).

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicAccretion - Design by Landfill: A Longterm Strategy? - ... [View all] , Tac, Mon 22-May-17 08:42 AM
Reply Basic Game Literacy - Why It's Hard to Learn How to Pla..., Tac, 24-May-17 08:00 AM, #5
Reply Lifestyle Games - The Play's the Thing - Extra Credits, Tac, 24-May-17 07:58 AM, #4
Reply Just wanted to say I checked this out., TMNS, 23-May-17 03:20 AM, #1
     Reply Just wanted to say I read your post.., Lhydia, 23-May-17 06:06 AM, #2
     Reply Now check your inbox, Heynonymously (Anonymous), 23-May-17 06:19 AM, #3
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #68179 Previous topic | Next topic