Subject: "RE: Dwarves, bards and halflings" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #663
Show all folders

ValguarneraSun 06-Apr-03 02:13 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#669, "RE: Dwarves, bards and halflings"

Would some imm care to comment on why dwarven bards are not allowed? I can SO see drunken dwarven drummers singing rousing tunes to the troops, it seems like a fun role to play. Purely from a game mechanics point of view they'd appear pretty balanced without any special issues, sure they'd be the heartiest of all bards, but with their gruff voices poorer singers than the rest (least natural mana not to mention their only average charisma). Naturally they wouldn't be able to learn to sneak, either.

Not only are dwarves not exactly singers and artisans, but bards are finesse oriented. Combine the low racial dex with low racial charisma, and I don't see why they'd be any good at it.

In general, I'm not a fan of "Let every race be every class they'd be remotely half-good at." I think it dilutes the culture of a race.

I realize mechanics-wise they'd be quite similar to certain existing races, but that's irrelevant with regard to the new role opportunities they'd offer

Halflings have come up before, and they always sound exactly like dextrous gnomes to me. What role opportunities exist there that gnomes don't cover?

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicDwarves, bards and halflings [View all] , Calion, Sun 06-Apr-03 10:53 AM
Reply RE: Dwarves, bards and halflings, Valguarnera, 06-Apr-03 02:13 PM #4
Reply RE: Dwarves, bards and halflings, Calion, 06-Apr-03 03:59 PM, #5
Reply banging a drum does not a bard make., Evil Genius (Anonymous), 07-Apr-03 07:53 AM, #7
     Reply RE: banging a drum does not a bard make., Calion, 07-Apr-03 10:29 AM, #8
     Reply RE: banging a drum does not a bard make., Quislet, 07-Apr-03 10:36 AM, #9
Reply There are intrinsic differences between gnomes and hobb..., dwimmerling, 07-Apr-03 07:16 AM, #6
Reply RE: Dwarves, bards and halflings, Circuits Edge (Anonymous), 08-Apr-03 05:37 AM, #10
     Reply O YEAH! A whole choir of bards!, Xandrya, 10-Apr-03 02:58 PM, #11
Reply RE: Dwarves, bards and halflings, Ululari, 06-Apr-03 01:10 PM, #2
Reply RE: Dwarves, bards and halflings, Circuits Edge (Anonymous), 06-Apr-03 11:07 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Dwarves, bards and halflings, Racli, 06-Apr-03 01:37 PM, #3
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #663 Previous topic | Next topic