Subject: "RE: The point is..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #6053
Show all folders

CuriousSun 17-Oct-04 04:45 PM
Member since 17th Oct 2004
10 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6126, "RE: The point is..."

Now with all the due respect to someone like you who has been around since nearly the dawn of cf time, I think that you might be having one of those "Ivory Tower" moments. Do you have some current characters that you are playing right now? Or have you had some current characters very recently since people have started taking advantage of this? Is it a huge problem, not really. But does this sort of thing seem to come up a lot, yes it does. I'm far from any sort of powergamer, in fact I'm not much of a pker really. But imagine a bit of frustration on the players part when you try to bash some thief and you end up bashing a guard and then that thief kills you. Or you try to hit someone you are hunting and you end up trying to hit yourself and they get away. The problem isn't typing the extra letter, the problem is that there are commands that we use all the time, like murder three letters of someone's name. And there are players that have chosen names to make them immune to other people's normal gaming style. They take advantage of the code. The real point is that one of Imms went through the trouble of implenting some cool code that let us abbreviate names, and now that is devalued to some extent. Now it's not the hugest deal in the world, and I just went back to using tab completion which works just fine. But the point is that it is coming up more and more often which means people are picking names on purpose to get a little bit of an edge in pking by using the code to their advantage. Since the Immstaff is always talking about how they don't want number crunchers and people trying to do all sorts of wacky weasily things to gain advantage and powergame, was it so unreasonable for someone to call attention to this behavior and think that it might be taken seriously? Because let's face it, picking one of these names is an Arolin-Style maneuver(take that as a compliment or insult as you will ). Is it a huge problem? Not really. But does it come up a lot? Well, it is coming up more and more, enough for someone to post a thread and enough for me to go back to using tab completion . Not that I mind tab completion, it worked well enough for a long time after all. Just my two cents.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT TopicSe-, Sel-, and Self- named characters. [View all] , Xenoroyal, Sat 09-Oct-04 04:36 PM
Reply Laugh all you want, folks, Manden, 11-Oct-04 10:27 PM, #13
Reply The point is..., shokai, 12-Oct-04 01:49 PM, #14
     Reply RE: The point is..., Straklaw, 12-Oct-04 03:06 PM, #15
     Reply RE: The point is..., Nivek1, 12-Oct-04 04:02 PM, #16
          Reply Guar, Manden, 12-Oct-04 09:41 PM, #17
               Reply Yes. It is a real character, incognito, 13-Oct-04 11:32 AM, #19
     Reply Yeah, back in My day, we had to type the whole name out..., Vladamir, 13-Oct-04 03:49 AM, #18
     Reply RE: Yeah, back in My day, we had to type the whole name..., Manden, 13-Oct-04 07:31 PM, #20
     Reply RE: The point is..., Curious, 17-Oct-04 04:45 PM #21
          Reply tab completion does not always help, incognito, 18-Oct-04 04:56 AM, #22
Reply RE: Se-, Sel-, and Self- named characters., Kah, 11-Oct-04 09:40 PM, #12
Reply Which gives me an idea, Kamuela_, 11-Oct-04 04:08 PM, #11
Reply You would have LOVED me!, (NOT Graatch), 11-Oct-04 03:01 PM, #9
Reply I blame Selric! That dirty powergamer! (n/t), Valguarnera, 11-Oct-04 02:49 PM, #8
Reply I've given this some thought..., shokai, 11-Oct-04 02:44 PM, #7
Reply There is a real problem with some characters, incognito, 11-Oct-04 04:06 PM, #10
Reply No, only if you type the 4 letter self does it...., GinGa, 09-Oct-04 05:10 PM, #2
Reply RE: No, only if you type the 4 letter self does it...., Xenoroyal, 09-Oct-04 05:33 PM, #3
Reply An easy solution to this problem, jasmin, 09-Oct-04 04:42 PM, #1
     Reply even better nt, Xenoroyal, 09-Oct-04 06:04 PM, #4
     Reply RE: An easy solution to this problem, Isildur, 10-Oct-04 03:31 PM, #5
          Reply My next character is going to start with O-u-t-e-r........, Nivek1, 11-Oct-04 09:21 AM, #6
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #6053 Previous topic | Next topic