Subject: "RE: Lowbie Conjurer attacks" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #469
Show all folders

QuisletSun 30-Mar-03 10:18 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
240 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#592, "RE: Lowbie Conjurer attacks"

>>As for that spicy flavor, the Imms have said before, if you've
>>got an idea on just what that new spell should be, speak up.
>>I should do that more often myself, even if I think some of my
>>ideas suck maybe someone else can add a twist to make them
>>worthwhile.
>
>Okay. First off, conjurers are into other planar gates and
>stuff, right? How about these:
>
>Minor Drain (1 round): Opens a brief portal to the negative
>material plane over the target, causing some hp, mana, and
>move damage (doesn't heal the caster).

Although this isn't likely to be gained before the teens in level, it could be strategically useful at most levels, that use dependent on how much mana and movement are drained and whether those amounts increase. Mana drain's strategic uses are obvious, but movement drains are good for more than just keeping the target from running. I'm sure there are a few skills that use movement points, though only one comes to mind offhand.

>Energy Burst (1 round): A small gate to the positive material
>plane opens in front of the target, blasting them with raw
>force. Does minor damage (double versus undead), might blind
>them (33 percent chance) can possibly knock them out of the
>room (20 percent chance).

I like the damage increase to undead. I'm not sure about the percent on blinds, but it makes sense. Also, I'm not sure I like the idea of knocking them out of the room, but I can think of a case where that would be a good opening attack in the hopes that it works. In which case, I'd think a higher chance against evils could be nice.

If balanced just right, this spell alone could promote an increase in good aligned conjurers.

>Ethereal Strike (2 rounds): Conjurer opens a short rift to the
>Ethereal plane at his target that is centered on the middle of
>its body. The conjurer then sticks his weapon through,
>effectively striking at their innards and bypassing their
>armor and defenses.
>This can be dodged but can't be parried or shield blocked,
>basically giving an extra attack that's hard to avoid.

Due to that last sentence, I think this spell would be reserved til a relatively high level, at least 30 or so. It's a neat idea anyhow, and I'd expect malediction(s) involved.

>These, along with magic missile, would make a nice complement.
> What do you think?

Me, I like the basic concepts. Any Immortals care to comment?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicConjurer's need something to do in combat at low levels... [View all] , ORB, Sat 22-Mar-03 03:30 PM
Reply The line for 'things in combat' starts behind poisoners..., DwE, 23-Mar-03 12:15 PM, #9
Reply The line starts where the designers and coders say it d..., Quislet, 30-Mar-03 10:30 AM, #13
Reply Where the Cült of Äxe when you need them?, Valguarnera, 22-Mar-03 04:11 PM, #2
Reply RE: Where the Cült of Äxe when you need them?, ORB, 22-Mar-03 04:53 PM, #4
     Reply RE: Where the Cült of Äxe when you need them?, Valguarnera, 22-Mar-03 10:33 PM, #5
          Reply RE: Where the Cült of Äxe when you need them?, ORB, 23-Mar-03 03:18 AM, #6
               Reply Hmm..., Ululari, 23-Mar-03 08:13 AM, #8
Reply magic missile (n/t), Zulghinlour, 22-Mar-03 04:01 PM, #1
     Reply RE: magic missile (n/t), ORB, 22-Mar-03 04:51 PM, #3
          Reply RE: magic missile (n/t), Quislet, 23-Mar-03 07:43 AM, #7
               Reply RE: magic missile (n/t), Blinkdog2003, 24-Mar-03 03:22 AM, #10
               Reply RE: Lowbie Conjurer attacks, Sabiene, 29-Mar-03 03:49 AM, #11
                    Reply RE: Lowbie Conjurer attacks, Quislet, 30-Mar-03 10:18 AM #12
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #469 Previous topic | Next topic