Subject: "RE: 10,000 hours to expert and attracting/keeping new players" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #44246
Show all folders

TacFri 09-Mar-12 12:45 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#44251, "RE: 10,000 hours to expert and attracting/keeping new players"

I wasn't suggesting changing the game such that someone can sit down for 15 minutes and have a good time on a relatively even playing field to people who play a lot. Rather, I was suggesting that what we have is a bit like Chess, and what we need is an ever evolving game of Fischer Random Chess. Vets would still have an advantage. They know how the game works vs. newbies, but what they don't know is exactly how new thing X works. It is part of why underplayed race/class combos sometimes enjoy some really good success even from a player you wouldn't expect it. Their enemies don't realize their capabilities and die expecting a different kind of fight. I'd say there is a perfect example of this going on in-game right now.

I agree that we aren't hurting for new content. I think that what we are hurting for is "game changing" content. To use your MTG example. I'm suggesting right now we have monsters and traps, but what if the game introduce buff cards, and then what if they did de-buff cards, and then what if they introduced a new kind of monster that operated differently than other monsters, etc. etc. It wouldn't change the fact that having an awesome deck and the knowledge of how to use it would be an advantage, but it would mean your deck would have to be ever evolving and new players and vets alike would be struggling to learn the latest tactics and cards abilities etc. It doesn't even the playing field, but by moving the target, you make people re-aim.

I suppose my chess example looks better if you say, Fischer Random Chess, but every once in a while, we are going to add a new kind of piece, with different movement rules or something. Like the ninja-pawn. Capable of swapping with any friendly unit and moving directly forward only. Chess looks a lot different with that piece in play, even if you know how all the other ones work perfectly. It changes the dynamic.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Topic10,000 hours to expert and attracting/keeping new playe... [View all] , Tac, Fri 09-Mar-12 10:38 AM
Reply RE: 10,000 hours to expert and attracting/keeping new p..., Nreykre, 09-Mar-12 12:01 PM, #2
Reply RE: 10,000 hours to expert and attracting/keeping new p..., Tac, 09-Mar-12 12:45 PM #3
Reply Agree with much of what you wrote., Trouble, 09-Mar-12 11:53 AM, #1
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #44246 Previous topic | Next topic