Subject: "RE: Shifter Class Ideas" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3617
Show all folders

IsildurTue 27-Jan-04 10:32 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3635, "RE: Shifter Class Ideas"

>1. Let shifter have air/water/land forms.

This is already possible. The reason shifters only get two focii is so they have to choose where they want to be strong. If you want to explore land and water then go utility/water and live with the fact that you can't flyto;murder.

>2. Let shifter speak thru' cabal channels.

Lack of speech is an intentional limitation to shifters. At least, the staff has said as much in the past.

>3. Give them enliven detect invis.

This I could maybe see happening. Not like it'd be super-overpowered. Then again, how hard is it to revert and cast?

>4. As a shifter I can pick major and minor. However, if I pick
>water major, I'll get a more powerful form than one who picked
>a land major but has a water form.

So you're saying shifters would only get 4th-tier forms in their primary focus? Or they'd still get two 4th-tier forms, but one of them would be souped-up above that form's current incarnation? The first seems like a major downgrade, and the second subject to all sorts of balance issues.

>5. Re-code the lower forms to beef them up, like ferret, boar,
>tortoise, bat, etc. to last at higher ranks. Maybe give them
>better damage reduction for defense.

I agree, the low-ranking forms suck. Then again, so does a warrior with crappy gear and un-practiced skills. At least with the shifter your usefulness isn't as much a product of your gear or skill percentages. I'm not sure I'd want low-ranking shifters to be as powerful as well-geared well-practiced low-ranking warriors (even given their lack of lagging skills).

>6. The damage each form gives is relative to the level of the
>shifter. With this in mind, a major focus will have another
>new form, much more powerful.

I don't necessarily agree with how you envision this being implemented, but at its core it's actually a good idea. Having form effectiveness increase with level would give shifters an incentive not to level sit at whatever rank they get their first major form. It would also help "even out" shifters usefulness across the ranks. It sucks when you're still using timber wolf at lvl45.

>7. I find shifters limited to shapeshift, murder/special
>attack victim. Revert. Cast slow. There could be more to their
>skills too.

Maybe, but that would incur balance issues. I'm sure one of the assumptions in setting shifters' damage/defense levels is that most forms can't reliably lag, disarm, maledict, etc. Adding that stuff would likely result in their damage/defense being toned down.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicShifter Class Ideas [View all] , Narissa, Mon 26-Jan-04 11:06 PM
Reply RE: Shifter Class Ideas, Isildur, 27-Jan-04 10:32 AM #1
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3617 Previous topic | Next topic