Subject: "For Nepenthe: Area Request (longish)" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3273
Show all folders

CathoirTue 16-Dec-03 05:11 AM
Member since 10th Nov 2003
34 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#3273, "For Nepenthe: Area Request (longish)"

I remember some old quote of yours where you stated you'd like to see the general ranking experience go more towards what the mausoleum is like for goodies between 20 and 30. Something extremely dangerous that requires constant attention and some degree of competence, the upside being a huge payoff. I recently played a goodie (first time in 3 years or so) and went through the maus with a couple different groups. Llevels and interesting new skills/spells came relatively quickly. Both trips ended in eventual mob deaths for most groupmembers as well as a fair number of close calls. Ranking actually became engrossing compared to the usual macro spamming of skills while skimming forums (the sort of thing i've become used to as a perennial player of evil characters.) The whole experience enhanced my interest in cf and the character.

While talking to other people I haven't come across a single person who dislikes the concept of ranking becoming more dangerous with a higher payoff (if anybody does please speak up, i'd be interested in hearing if anyone thinks this would negatively affect the mud and/or a player's cf experience). Recently I reconnected with some old high school friends who still casually play cf. When I talk to them and any of the newer players on irc the most common complaint I hear is that they'd really like to try that thief or anti-paladin, but they can't deal with the process of ranking them. A lot of novice and veteran players (myself included) default to a tanking class because they either don't have the time or patience to look for competent groupmates who can tank. I know that mages and other classes are supposed to have a harder time ranking, but I think that would still hold true. Anybody who's ever played a mage in the mausoleum knows it's a nerve racking experience. If anything goes bad you're usually the first to go.

I'd like to see a huge compound area go in that's specifically designed to make ranking more interactive. I honestly believe that you're one of the top couple of immortals who could do an excellent job on the area's design as well as creating a ranking environment that is challenging but not overwhelming. I think it'd be great if the area had a lot of different sets of mobs that favored different types of groups, especially ones containing classes that are generally passed over by most groups. Some mobs would favor excellent tanks with low hp by having a lot of attacks but no particularly great bonuses to hit. Other mobs would have only one powerful attack, favoring any ranking group that can reduce damage effectively. Some could be weaker mobs that cast spells for big damage. Other subtle factors could also be thrown in, like having invokers or necromancers be particularly useful in one particular area. It'd be a fairly big project but I think it could seriously improve the average mudder's cf experience, especially people with limited time available. Character's would have more time to devote to practice/exploration/roleplaying/playerkilling or whatever it is they particularly enjoy about cf (I think very few people would say ranking). I think roleplaying would actually improve. Players would have to spend more time finding and developing relationships with various types of classes that enable them to travel the various high payoff areas.

Anyways, I encourage any comments, suggestions, additions, or flames of this idea. Please post a mindless affirmation if you like it and want to see this sort of change to cf. Any other immortals who would be interested in coding this sort of area are encouraged to comment too... Nepenthe is just the first one to come to mind after seeing how cool the Silent Tower is and remembering that quote.

-Cathoir

As an afterthought, the area should be nosum too. I'd like to see it be dangerous in both mobs and other pk's... but i'd also like to see it be dangerous to the pk groups as well. Huge cheesy summoning groups could ruin it.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicFor Nepenthe: Area Request (longish) [View all] , Cathoir, Tue 16-Dec-03 05:11 AM
Reply What kind of procedures does Team:Area have?, Evil Genius (Anonymous), 17-Dec-03 06:08 AM, #11
Reply RE: For Nepenthe: Area Request (longish), Laearrist, 16-Dec-03 06:58 PM, #9
Reply Agree. Totally. n/t, Little Timmy (Anonymous), 17-Dec-03 08:14 AM, #12
Reply I think there is already the scope for what you suggest, incognito, 16-Dec-03 08:38 AM, #3
Reply RE: I think there is already the scope for what you sug..., Isildur, 16-Dec-03 10:19 AM, #4
Reply there are other areas like that, incognito, 16-Dec-03 12:28 PM, #5
     Reply RE: there are other areas like that, Isildur, 16-Dec-03 01:41 PM, #6
Reply not really, Cathoir, 16-Dec-03 05:13 PM, #7
     Reply I agree with much of that but, incognito, 16-Dec-03 07:21 PM, #10
Reply RE: For Nepenthe: Area Request (longish), nepenthe, 16-Dec-03 08:17 AM, #2
Reply RE: For Nepenthe: Area Request (longish), Cathoir, 16-Dec-03 05:42 PM, #8
Reply RE: For Nepenthe: Area Request (longish), ORB, 16-Dec-03 07:51 AM, #1
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3273 Previous topic | Next topic