Subject: "The short answer is..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3018
Show all folders

nepentheWed 19-Nov-03 10:42 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3021, "The short answer is..."
Edited on Wed 19-Nov-03 10:44 PM

It depends.

Obviously a guy who doesn't back away from any character-appropriate fight and somehow manages through skill or sheer chutzpah to keep winning is going to be a lot of fun for me to watch. There's a reason NBA basketball is televised and, say, me playing a pickup game at the Y is not. Excellence is, as a general trend, more fun to watch than mediocrity.

That sad, I neither expect nor desire all of CF's players to be like that.

I wouldn't think less of a player for ganging some people, unless it was anathema to their role. I think, however, we can agree that a player who gangs sometimes and a player who always, always, always gangs are in different piles.

I don't have the problem with the coward A-P or coward whatever role, honestly. I'd probably enjoy the hell out of a cowardly character with a well written role, and/or one played to comic effect. Imagine a paladin who really was all about hiding in the kitchen eating soup, but due to other things going on in their life still managed to be very virtuous and good overall. That's an interesting character.

What I would say I have a problem with (which doesn't imply everyone should) are players (not characters) who labor under the delusion they're something they're not.

To take Zodrimauk as an example (since he's been topical lately), if at any point I looked at the list of the last 20 people he killed, at least 18 of them would be the same 3 or 4 people. We're not talking about really tough people here, either. We're talking about Heralds that are so foofy, other Heralds make fun of their PK ability. In one of the non-Herald cases, it was a fairly cool character at the time that had, for role reasons, given up a lot of their major class features.

You tell me: Would it be fun to watch someone kill the same terrible PKers again and again and again, running from anyone who might put up some kind of real fight? #### no. That said, is it something we disallow? Also no. Was Zodrimauk crippled in terms of class abilities, etc. in any way? Still no. All he got was a somewhat demeaning title, which, whether anyone would like to admit it or not, completely fit the character and his typical style of play. If the character had been an intentional coward, that kind of title would really be a reward.

I'd say my bar for a true tactitian as far as CF is concerned would be that they can take any situation and turn it to their advantage rather than merely shining when the situation happens to favor them. This can, depending on your point of view, include engineering situations that are to your advantage, but it's hard to say where to draw the line there.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicUnca Floofy, Auntie Nep, Cousin Zuggy, let's have a bed... [View all] , Scrimbul, Wed 19-Nov-03 09:58 PM
Reply The short answer is..., nepenthe, 19-Nov-03 10:44 PM #1
     Reply Obviously.., Mayaletha, 20-Nov-03 12:14 AM, #2
          Reply Oh please, spare us your antagonism., Scrimbul, 20-Nov-03 12:35 AM, #3
          Reply The bottom line is:, Valguarnera, 20-Nov-03 12:39 AM, #4
               Reply RE: The bottom line is:, Mayaletha, 20-Nov-03 12:53 AM, #5
                    Reply Think of it in character, Yanoreth, 20-Nov-03 10:18 AM, #6
                    Reply RE: The bottom line is:, nepenthe, 20-Nov-03 10:21 PM, #7
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3018 Previous topic | Next topic