Subject: "Battleragers and magic" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #2194
Show all folders

laxmanSun 07-Sep-03 07:36 PM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#2194, "Battleragers and magic"

Okie dokie then so here is my little pet peeve of the village. Mind you this is no rant saying blah blah is over powered or underpowered and what not just my own little observaton about game mechanics. It seems to me that the battleragers are haters of magic, and catious of everything else that is magic-like, such as communing and calling of powers on them. It always perplexed me then why the battlerager powers are what they are.

Reading the story of where the powers come from spellbane is actually a magical technique made up by those loveable mages you can find in the area explore that is right by the vilage. Now if they don't use potions to fight mages with why would they use a power given to them by mages? I agree that the power is neccesary but I just think poerhaps it should be rethought out cause in its poresent form it seems like it clashes with the way the ragers are.

The second beef i have is with resist and bloodthirst Now ragers just don't like calling powers so why are these two powrs called. It would make more sense for them to just be skills just because their is nothing mystical about them. Theydraw on the fortitude and resolve for resist and their anger for bloodthirst, simple as that no need to call.

I also like the ideas of the paths in the vilage but I think they should be a bit more interesting. I mean scout don't scout really, defenders are healers moreso then defenders and berserkers are spilling out of huts left and right. here are my sugestion.

keep truesight, hell its neccesary otherwise just invis your outter and the village is helpless without assassins and svirfs.

berserkers, as machines of death they kinda sacrifice defense for their goals.

fortitude- the fortitude of a berserker causes them to be able to withstand blows that would outright kill others. Using their raw emotion they are also better able to resist the affects of magic cast upon them.

Basically this is resist and it also adds a buncha saves and adds a second check for saves sometimes. Replacing spellbaning with a second check for saves. goes off as spellbane would and gives an emote like blah grits his teeth and prepares to take spell blah then it gives a second check for saves. So can half invoker damage twice possibly 2 chances to fail sleep so on and so forth.

bloodthirst - same as before

trophy same as before

death charge- the barbarian goes all out completly gives up selfregard and beats their opponent to death.

breakdown wwarrior stops using defenses and gets a massive bonus to hitting opponent and increases lag, gets extra attacks, resists lagging more and so forth, it is exhausting and each round it is up saps mv, also makes it tough for victim to flee and impossible for rager. If victim is strong enough he can just stop the rager or if deft enough can just evade the charge. once a death charge begins the rager cannot stop it himself. this would replace deathblow.

scouts are just plain sneaky guys that serve as support units

heightened senses- due to their long time scouting they have the ability to more accutly use one of their senses. with this comes automatic affects and manual abilities.

hearing - hear sneaking people and whisperto's and rustling of people checking equipment. as a side effect fights as well blind as when not blind or almost as well. COMMAND listenfor: by concetrating really hard they can listen for an attack and turn it against their opponent. basicallyt its a way to avoid combat starting skills. downside is you can't due many things while lkistening due to the concentration involved.

sight - can scan farther notice non hidden people sneaking,
COMMAND: lookat, can lookat in a direction to see what you would see standing in that room also can lookat direction and person to lookat someone in a room in that direction.

smell - can smell magic, automatically smells weaknesses in magical protections, get automatic critical hits, not neccesarily negating all protections but some. note this would only work on magical ones, armadillos would still be beasts. COMMAND: sniff sniff at a player to determine all the magics affecting them. sniffing an orc does lots of damage to you... ok i am kidding but that might be a funny touch.

spell eveasion - change it to evade both area and targeting spells, replacing spellbane for scouts

scout tactics - basically this is a bunch of like mini-skills for the scout that represent how a scout should be used. The first affect is that an attack made by the scout has a chance not to trigger a yell. the second is that if the scout is not tanking they will automatically begin flanking the target, basically improving chances to hit drastically and pulling them out of the way of area spells. if you really want you could even let them use cb without coming out of shadows with this...

defenders these guys defend and keep the villagers healthy

tend - compine poultice and field dressing, make it a stage skill, possibly also add knitting closed wounds to staunch bleeding and maybe setting broken bones and such.

defend - not sure if the new dawn has this, but this skill from dawn screams defender, hell its even named defend. Protect another villager by jumping between him and danger, make you auto-double block at a certain level too so you can do other things besides spam double block while yiou rank.

martyrs stand - rescue everyone in your group and blood thirst, can't flee, penalties to attacks bonuses to defense. only able to be used if the defender is low on health or the groups percent health is low. the exhaustion from this skill does big damage when it wears off so any crippled person will die once its effects wear off unless they heal. If they die all those in their group get a surge of strength and such as they are inspired by the sacrifice. nobody can rescue or redirect from the martry for more then a round. lag on all the martyrs skills is increased on himself.

prevention - this replaces spellbane for the defender they notice someone cast8ing a spell and they prevent them from finishing. side effects may be mana burn on the caster, works well against the person they fight and suffers a penalty for however many people the defender has to be trying to distract. will also distract people casting on his group, including those out of his own ppersonal range but not as likely to.

all villagers would also get truesight becvause well its just neccesary. Hope you guys like my thoughs Sorry that they are not that well organized but in the end the village has basically the same powers and they are more neat-o like the scions powers

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicBattleragers and magic [View all] , laxman, Sun 07-Sep-03 07:36 PM
Reply RE: Battleragers and magic, Circuits Edge (Anonymous), 07-Sep-03 09:18 PM, #2
Reply I'd be happy if they just stopped ganging and logging i..., Vladamir, 07-Sep-03 08:58 PM, #1
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #2194 Previous topic | Next topic