Subject: "Are you drunk?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #17982
Show all folders

DaevrynWed 30-May-07 12:39 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#18006, "Are you drunk?"

Just curious. I don't remember this kind of "What is he smoking?" reaction to your posts in the past.

But let's discuss:

>Cause I do not want to waste time ranking because I have to
>wait for the boneshatter, bleeding, whatever other #### to
>wear off.

Group with a healer, then. Group with a character good at disarming who can get that mace out of the guy's hand before he boneshatters you.

Or, level somewhere else.

>Hard enough for some roles to find groups no need to
>make it even harder on those who get sporadic group leveling
>opportunities. And solo ranking just became 100* more
>dangerous. Thanks a lot!

I feel like you've lost sight of the fact that there are a ton of non-special-stuff-doing mobs worth normal XP in the game. I'd say they're a safe majority of mobs.

You've got options. You can level on cattle mobs, and that's as fast as it is, or you can level on those scary dual-mace-wielding mace spec mobs, and that might be a lot faster with the right group. Options = good.

>With respect to Bartle's paper: note how you are managing to
>alienate Explorers, Achievers, and Killers.. maybe you are
>just in need of a BIG SOCIAL hug?

I don't agree with that, actually:

Your hypothetical pure explorers aren't really about grinding mobs for XP. They're going to be interested in getting XP from exploring and figuring quests and stuff out, which they increasingly can on CF. They're going to be more interested in XP-getting that's about figuring out a clever way to do so something than pure time spent... such as figuring out a way to make killing those spear spec mobs work so XP is faster, or such as keeping a group alive in a dangerous situation like the Mausoleum.

Your hypothetical pure achievers like seeking advancement. They get bored when there isn't any more advancement to do. They get upset if newer players can get the levels that they did easier than they did. To an extent, CF has never especially catered to achievers; there's a finite amount of levelling you can do, there's no such thing as amassing a perfect set of gear, and if you did, you can easily lose it in all in PK. A pure achiever would probably rather take a soldering gun to their groin than play CF. But, hey, if you want to grind dumb mobs or practice skills or try to get the biggest bank account or whatever, you can do those things. I think people with some achiever aspect can and do enjoy CF, just not people for whom it's most of their fun.

A pure killer probably isn't out getting XP at all. He's out killing people. And, you know? Between small amounts of commerce XP / exploration XP / cabal raiding XP / etc. that an active killer character constantly accrues whether they want to or not, a killer really does not need to do a lot of grouping or mob-killing in order to advance, as long as they are interested in trying to PK with their character at any level.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicYet another view on changes to ranking areas (YAVCRA) [View all] , elmeri_, Mon 28-May-07 05:13 AM
Reply I agree., Daning, 28-May-07 05:54 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Fearsome mage mobs:, Valguarnera, 28-May-07 08:46 AM, #2
          Reply RE: Fearsome mage mobs:, Daning, 28-May-07 10:13 AM, #3
          Reply Thanks Valg, deleting is easy now!, Caleban, 30-May-07 11:47 AM, #11
               Reply Nice troll, Valkenar, 30-May-07 12:20 PM, #12
               Reply Are you drunk?, Daevryn, 30-May-07 12:39 PM #13
               Reply Laughing., Dallevian, 30-May-07 01:54 PM, #15
                    Reply RE: Laughing., Daevryn, 30-May-07 02:11 PM, #16
                    Reply What?!?, Valkenar, 30-May-07 03:22 PM, #19
                         Reply RE: What?!?, Daevryn, 30-May-07 04:01 PM, #20
                    Reply RE: Laughing., Valguarnera, 30-May-07 02:15 PM, #17
                         Reply Re:, Dallevian, 30-May-07 02:56 PM, #18
               Reply Not sure you understand the Bartle system., Valguarnera, 30-May-07 12:45 PM, #14
          Reply My take, Valkenar, 28-May-07 02:11 PM, #4
               Reply RE: My take, DurNominator, 29-May-07 09:28 AM, #5
                    Reply Same here, Valkenar, 29-May-07 10:02 AM, #6
                         Reply RE: Spellcasters, Valguarnera, 29-May-07 10:51 AM, #7
                         Reply Combined responses., Valkenar, 29-May-07 01:34 PM, #9
                         Reply Awesome post. Endorsed! ~, _Magus_, 29-May-07 01:49 PM, #10
                         Reply RE: Same here, Daevryn, 29-May-07 11:31 AM, #8
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #17982 Previous topic | Next topic