Subject: "rebuttle" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #13639
Show all folders

laxmanMon 26-Jun-06 11:26 PM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#13651, "rebuttle"

if you take this idea that as long as you follow a well defined moral code and 'believe' it is right than you are playing a goodie is that I can do the same thing and play a badass evil imperial. Goodies are not the only ones that 'believe' or can believe their moral codes are right and actualy follow them.

Obviously you have never read help empire but I will help you out with this one. Part of being an imperial is willing to do anything within imperial law to advance your cause. Those who are empire greater good oriented actually make lousy imperials because in doing so they often ignore the responsibility to advance the cause of their own sect. The motivation of most imperials (or good ones anyway) should almost always be, a world of order is good, especially a world of order in which I am king. No imperial makes it his goal to be a faceless soldier. My definition of good was adhering to a set of morals that are based around the furtherment of a greater good. Any imperial role should at its core involve some level of desire to get personal gain from the advancement of the empire so their true desires should be substantialy inward focused.

I agree completely with Wildgirl that there is not enough checks put on alignment, yeah, some people try and RP out remorse for their actions but being sorry that you did something because you knew it was wrong does not sound like good 'goodie' rp to me.

I am going to beat people with a bat over the head because the modern definition of GOODie is synominous (sp?) with pansy. Because I am striving for a greater good does not in any way mean I have to be nice, care about every single individual, or even care particularly much about the way in which you are trying to bring betterment to thera. Think of a drill seargent in boot camp. The definition of an asshole. But in the army he is one of the best players for good because while he might be riding you like an animal he is doing so in order to give you the skills that you will need to survive. Life isn't always easy and especially in a world like cf that is torn by so much war and violence I would expect more tough nosed goodie roles and less hippie saps.

Remember you have to keep the definition of alignments fairly broad in order to allow a variety of roles. Not everyone is going to play goodie like an elf healer acolyte. And just because they don't fit that mold doesn't mean they are any less good.

I think most people playing a goodie and attacking another goodie for 'rp' reasons are doing it because there are few if any real consequence for it. Sometimes it even gets mentioned in PBF's as bad rp but no evil flags etc.

This is a put yourself in their shoes situation. Jut because my philosophy does not exactly = yours in its execution does not mean its striving towards a similar goal. And goals are more important than actions because the meaning of actions is defined through the why's of how you did it. Otherwise we would have to neutralize every goodie that got wanted and attacked constantly by goodie guard mobs and the whitecloak encampment would have to go away.

I will finally add admitting your sorry seems a lot like realizing your actions have some fault to them, and would be a reason for negative actions towards the character not reason to let them off the hook.

My goodies I don't show remorse because I agree it shows weakness in their cause. Other people might show remorse, I mean if your starving and have to steal to eat your gonna feel bad for doing it even though you knew it was that or starve.

And even one more thing, as a player it doesn't bother me that much, I just kill them or die and say **** it they attacked me.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT TopicGoodie vs. Goodie [View all] , WildGirl, Mon 26-Jun-06 06:24 PM
Reply RE: Goodie vs. Goodie, Isildur, 27-Jun-06 12:59 PM, #12
Reply RE: Goodie vs. Goodie, Mylinos, 27-Jun-06 02:10 PM, #15
     Reply RE: Goodie vs. Goodie, Isildur, 27-Jun-06 11:32 PM, #16
          Reply My last post on this tired and worn out subject., Mylinos, 28-Jun-06 12:22 AM, #17
               Reply RE: My last post on this tired and worn out subject., Isildur, 28-Jun-06 01:34 AM, #18
Reply since I have played a couple of goodie villagers in the..., laxman, 26-Jun-06 09:22 PM, #7
Reply The problem with this is..., Mylinos, 26-Jun-06 10:19 PM, #8
Reply rebuttle, laxman, 26-Jun-06 11:26 PM #10
     Reply RE: rebuttle - Sorry long - original post edited out fo..., Mylinos, 27-Jun-06 12:34 AM, #11
Reply RE: since I have played a couple of goodie villagers in..., Aarn, 27-Jun-06 01:24 PM, #13
     Reply Just one thing..., Mylinos, 27-Jun-06 01:54 PM, #14
     Reply RE: since I have played a couple of goodie villagers in..., Isildur, 28-Jun-06 10:43 AM, #19
          Reply RE: since I have played a couple of goodie villagers in..., Aarn, 28-Jun-06 11:36 AM, #20
          Reply RE: since I have played a couple of goodie villagers in..., Isildur, 28-Jun-06 02:44 PM, #22
          Reply Another point regarding goodie Ragers, Aarn, 29-Jun-06 09:08 AM, #26
               Reply RE: Another point regarding goodie Ragers, Isildur, 29-Jun-06 03:37 PM, #28
                    Reply RE: Another point regarding goodie Ragers, Aarn, 29-Jun-06 04:05 PM, #30
          Reply a question for aarn, laxman, 28-Jun-06 04:12 PM, #23
               Reply I can hardly disagree more., Odrirg, 28-Jun-06 08:03 PM, #24
               Reply Real world vs CF world, Aarn, 28-Jun-06 09:50 PM, #25
          Reply Having some experience with this...., Odrirg, 28-Jun-06 01:17 PM, #21
          Reply Good Aligned Villagers, Kastellyn, 29-Jun-06 01:53 PM, #27
               Reply RE: Good Aligned Villagers, Isildur, 29-Jun-06 03:57 PM, #29
                    Reply RE: Good Aligned Villagers, Aarn, 29-Jun-06 04:12 PM, #31
                    Reply RE: Good Aligned Villagers, Isildur, 29-Jun-06 04:28 PM, #32
                         Reply RE: Good Aligned Villagers, nepenthe, 29-Jun-06 05:16 PM, #34
                         Reply RE: Good Aligned Villagers, Aarn, 29-Jun-06 06:31 PM, #35
                         Reply RE: Good Aligned Villagers, Isildur, 29-Jun-06 06:38 PM, #37
                              Reply RE: Good Aligned Villagers, DurNominator, 30-Jun-06 05:45 AM, #38
                                   Reply RE: Good Aligned Villagers, Isildur, 30-Jun-06 10:50 AM, #40
                                        Reply RE: Good Aligned Villagers, Aarn, 30-Jun-06 11:07 AM, #41
                                             Reply RE: Good Aligned Villagers, Isildur, 30-Jun-06 11:28 AM, #42
                                             Reply RE: Consistency and mobs., Adhelard, 30-Jun-06 04:49 PM, #43
                         Reply In CF, it's pretty simple, Theerkla, 29-Jun-06 06:26 PM, #36
                    Reply RE: Good Aligned Villagers, Kastellyn, 29-Jun-06 04:57 PM, #33
                         Reply RE: Good Aligned Villagers, Isildur, 30-Jun-06 10:43 AM, #39
                              Reply My contribution, Aodh, 30-Jun-06 04:57 PM, #44
                                   Reply RE: My contribution, Isildur, 30-Jun-06 06:29 PM, #45
Reply RE: Goodie vs. Goodie, Quixotic, 26-Jun-06 07:55 PM, #3
Reply RE: Goodie vs. Goodie, nepenthe, 26-Jun-06 08:03 PM, #4
     Reply Woot!, Quixotic, 26-Jun-06 08:13 PM, #5
          Reply RE: Woot!, nepenthe, 26-Jun-06 08:43 PM, #6
Reply roleplay, shokai, 26-Jun-06 06:57 PM, #2
Reply RE: roleplay, Mylinos, 26-Jun-06 10:34 PM, #9
Reply The imms shouldn't have to hardcode good RP checks, Theerkla, 26-Jun-06 06:35 PM, #1
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #13639 Previous topic | Next topic