Subject: "ugh" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #2688
Show all folders

permanewbieWed 22-Oct-03 03:59 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
349 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2691, "ugh"

I must say I dislike this.

for many reasons.

the most glaring is...time.

In pk situations, especially if you have a slow connection, fractions of a second can be the difference between life, death, or victory.

To me, this sounds similar to the restriction on magistrates in town... they have to flag someone before they can fight him....well....sometimes taking that half a second to type "wanted criminal y" for each of the 7 sylvans/ragers coming at you translates into certain death as opposed to being able to flee or win.

Your idea seems to make this kind of thing hard-coded and for everyone...

Ick. I jut think it eliminates way too much of the "free will" behind playing a character on cf.

Then there is the "How do you explain this in game terms"....

...Unless you declare a grudge (to who?)....the gods won't let you fight?

cf has no "DM" to declare to...

Of course, I think there is the same problem with the existance of PK ranges.

I'd much prefer open pkranges....with automatic penalties applied to a pc if he initiates against a pc lower than would be in his normal touch range.

That way, you wouldn't have rank 1 chars spitting on and cursing heroes and low characters being WAY too big for their britches.

The higher rank char would have the option of deciding that the penalty for laying the smack down on this little ####ing punk who just spat on his face is worth it.

It would be easy to explain the penalties as well...as the gods frown on that sort of thing...or something.

Anyway...in my opinion, the less hard-coded restrictions to pk (and practicing for that matter...but that is a whole other can of worms*) the better and more "real" and more "fun" the rp side of cf can be.

*If it is postulated that 30-70% of the people in our culture has an erroneous idea that pizza = happiness, and that changing that belief would be good for the Culture....

Some people believe that the best way to convince those people that they don't need pizza to be happy, is to pass laws that make it nearly impossible for anyone to gather any number of pizzas (compared to how it was in the past).

Other people do not believe that that tactic is the most effective, fair, and just way to change people's notion on the importance of pizza (for various reasons), and have put forth other ideas that they believe would work just as well, if not better.

But, The first group is the one that makes the rules, and if anyone from the second group voices much of an opinion, he is often shouted down, accompanied by personal derisive comments about the mental capacity of the person who voiced the opinion.

Both sides have decent, well thought out arguments. But, both sides also have a deep ingrained belief that the other side is wrong and that all arguments that support the other side were born in either Hell, or worse, in some moron's brain who has no understanding of the true nature of Pizza and pizza desire. Thus, all discussion about "pizza desire", from the beginning, has been based upon the fact that each side perceives that the other side (and this is mostly true, and neither side is innocent) has a contempt for them in a personal way that goes beyond just disliking the idea...but to spiteful personal attacks. Thus all civilized discourse on the subject of Pizza and Pizza desire is, and always has been, and always will be, impossible.....

So it comes down to...
Q:"Who makes the rules?"
A:"They do."
Result:"Deal with it because you will never sway one opinion, either way"

"Death awaits ya all, wit nasteh big pointeh teeth!"

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicThe RP in PK. The idea of a "grudge" command [View all] , hidetora, Wed 22-Oct-03 01:17 PM
Reply RE: The RP in PK. The idea of a, Dervish, 23-Oct-03 01:28 PM, #7
Reply RE: The RP in PK. The idea of a, Zulghinlour, 23-Oct-03 01:33 PM, #8
     Reply RE: The RP in PK. The idea of a, Dervish, 23-Oct-03 06:28 PM, #9
     Reply RE: The RP in PK. The idea of a, nepenthe, 24-Oct-03 06:20 AM, #11
     Reply RE: The RP in PK. The idea of a, Boldereth, 23-Oct-03 06:46 PM, #10
Reply decent idea. not sure it is practical though, incognito, 22-Oct-03 05:27 PM, #3
Reply RE: decent idea. not sure it is practical though, hidetora, 22-Oct-03 05:53 PM, #4
Reply how about grudging -after- the fact?, Evil Genius (Anonymous), 22-Oct-03 07:40 PM, #6
Reply RE: Grudge, Valguarnera, 22-Oct-03 04:58 PM, #2
Reply RE: Grudge WITHDRAWN, hidetora, 22-Oct-03 06:14 PM, #5
Reply ugh, permanewbie, 22-Oct-03 03:59 PM #1
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #2688 Previous topic | Next topic