Subject: "The problem with poisoners" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #25229
Show all folders

DaeDrougTue 16-Jun-09 02:41 AM
Member since 23rd Oct 2006
46 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#25229, "The problem with poisoners"
Edited on Tue 16-Jun-09 03:32 AM

1. First of all their pretty much the most expensive class to train and use even without the decaying vials the costs are astronomical and yet it's even worse because you have to keep making vials over and over when the old ones fade away. You could just carry the ingredients and concoct when you need but forget about doing that in the middle of being attacked and expect to miss any opportunity you might have hade to use it whil you where busy brewing.

2. Until you get grenade (I'm assuming that grenade makes it actually viable) Emetic poison is pretty much useless against PCs and NPCs alike. the best you can do is poison something and drop or plant it on them hoping that they'll eat/drink/wear it and that they don't run off too fast/into the wilderness before that happens.

3. Knock-out while being the most useful poison is prone to the fact that even mastered inhaled poison is pretty unreliable. might as well just get blackjack and try to get what your doing done in that hour.

4. Psychological poison sounds good but after testing it, it's hardly disorienting at all with it only misdirecting you a fraction of the time (half of which is just into walls).

5. Fear poison another poison that sounds good in theory but put quite simply if your afraid, why would you be attacking. sure it's nice that they flee whenever you hit them but short of a ####ty mage your gonna be half dead by the time you get that hit in and then they can just return to get the job done. Even if you to make it so they couldn't attack they could just sit there and if the thief takes the initiative they're get their chance again to pound on them.

6. Finally mind control poison has pretty much the same problem as fear poison, sure you can control them, but only once per hour and they can still do whatever they want, aka you poison them and try to stick around to suggest and they just go ahead and kill you, or run away.

Now I'm sure there will be plenty of people that will say their plenty playable and all which I'm not saying their completely unplayable but but that they could be much more fun without being overpowered even if you fixed all of these things they still wouldn't be the top dog by any means even for people attacking thieves it would give an added challenge instead of just seeing a thief and knowing for certain they'll get owned. A warrior, or conjurer, or shapeshifter or antipaladin, or assassin, or ranger all on seeing a poisoner thief right now can pretty much be guaranteed victory even if they get hit by every single poison the thief has, which even if I was the attacker sounds altogether boring. On the other hand being turned away because I'm too afraid to chase after them, or because my vision/sense of direction is so bad that It's like I'm actually in a maze and even when I do catch up to the thief they look like a pink elephant rather then a thief, or becuase they managed to get off a lucky inhaled poison and managed to get mind control into my system, All of these sound more entertaining then what it's like now. Even with that chance of these thieves would hardly be that dangerous because howmany hits would a thief truly get on them? and how many of those would actually manage to transfer poison? Not many.

I would say remove the restrictions on what poisons can be used how, remove the decay from vials, make it so people affected by fear poison can't attack, increase the effects of neurological poison, and either take away the lag on suggest or make it so a mind controled victim can't attack or move and after all that you'd have a wild card class that would be fun to play whil still by no means be the top of the food chain. Even so I realize that's alot to ask and I's pretty much be happy with even half of them.

PS I know I made another thread before but it was getting a bit spread out with scattered thoughts and ideas, thus the clean slate.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicThe problem with poisoners [View all] , DaeDroug, Tue 16-Jun-09 02:41 AM
Reply RE: The problem with poisoners, DaeDroug, 19-Jun-09 01:39 AM, #10
Reply RE: The problem with poisoners, DaeDroug, 19-Jun-09 04:32 AM, #11
Reply As a sad person who actually played the first incarnati..., Torak, 17-Jun-09 11:35 PM, #8
Reply RE: As a sad person who actually played the first incar..., DaeDroug, 18-Jun-09 06:16 AM, #9
Reply Poisoners are different, Amortis, 17-Jun-09 03:29 PM, #7
Reply I pretty much agree, NMTW, 16-Jun-09 12:31 PM, #3
Reply RE: I pretty much agree, Daevryn, 16-Jun-09 12:45 PM, #4
Reply RE: I pretty much agree, Sebeok, 16-Jun-09 01:05 PM, #5
Reply Check my Migra log here on officials or on QHCF, Quixotic, 16-Jun-09 11:06 AM, #2
Reply your not using the build well, laxman, 16-Jun-09 08:12 AM, #1
     Reply RE: your not using the build well, DaeDroug, 16-Jun-09 03:53 PM, #6
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #25229 Previous topic | Next topic