Subject: "this is strange, and what I think are some good ideas" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #19548
Show all folders

OdrirgSat 20-Oct-07 10:03 AM
Member since 16th Oct 2004
431 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19567, "this is strange, and what I think are some good ideas"

while I probably more agree than disagree with the premise of the post, I disagree with many of the points you used in your post to get to that premise.

the last one, stopping spellcasting.

mace specs have cranial.

axe specs have pincer.

all specs can choose the drive-lag legecy (although relying on this for perma lag, I hear, is a BIG mistake)

anyway, the main reason I agree with your main premise, is the whole a/b/s thing.

I really dislike it. for a number of reasons, I'll outline two of them.

one, either a mage class is balanced without a/b/s, then because a/b/s is so much of an insane boost to dam redux, any mage class balanced without it is overpowered with it. Or...a mage class is balanced for a/b/s. Then, by the same token, they are way way underpowered without it.

if the first case is true, I believe a/b/s is far too prevalent, and should be more limited. if the second case is true, I believe a/b/s is far too limited, and should be easier to find.

a second reason, is that I don't buy that the whole argument the imms have given in the past for the existance of abs is the optimal solution.

one thing I've heard often in the past,was that there should be some sort of benefit to those people who explore, who actually read room descs, and can pick out details. so a/b/s is also so that area creators can feel like people are looking at their work, which isn't a bad idea.

neither the "benefit for exploration" or "benefit for actually looking at the author's work" are bad ideas.

what is a bad idea, is a benefit that only effects mages (and trap/poison thieves to some extend), and has the pwer/availability so messed up (in my opinion).

I think a better solution, would be to have secret items that can be eaten, or worn, or invoked, or quaffed, or whatever, that would give a timed, tangible benefit to one or more skills/spells or class of skills/spells.

the coding basis for this is actually already there, kinda.

imagine, a wearable amulet of living fire that gives invokers/ap's stronger fire spells that lives and dies quickly, so doesn't last forever

a rune a warrior can attach to his shoulders that makes flurry/drum more likely to hit 8/5 hits that drains of power over uses or time.

a special book that exists in both this plane and the negative material plane that can sometimes make people get poisoned when a necro using this book casts crimson scourge on them, but use destroys it's connection between planes over time.

an amulet that can store communes for 10 hours (think the WOT terangreals that could store the power...called wells). the pally/shaman/healer prays up to 5 communes into the amulet. Then, if in the net 10 hours he is worldbound he can invoke the amulet and get Lilo output from the amulet (last in, last out, is lilo).

some gnomish inventor has created magical/mechanical gloves that increase finger strength for a fraction of a second, but only works a few times before breaking. Allows disarm protection 2 times, or allows an assassin a boosted chance that strangle will work 5 times.

the options are endless. and, I don't see a problem with moving these around like a/b/s does when they need to change positions when things get too well known.

and, this gives warriors/ranger/assassins/shaman/etc a reason to explore too. instead of it just 95% being a mage thing to fine a/b/s now.

the current a/b/s system is also I believe the main reason why mages are more often considered overpowered, because of the reason above, and also indirectly.

because the a/b/s system is the only really major way the game rewards game knowledge and exploration, the veterancs, when they want to play a pk badass, nearly always pick mages, because they know that a/b/s offers such a HUGE advantage.

why not share the exploration benefit love a bit? if every class can benefit from exploration like mages can now, then veterans will have more class options to choose from when they want to use their years of exploration knowledge to create a badass.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy

HOT Locked TopicSo who besides me thinks game balance is a laughable jo... [View all] , trewyn, Fri 19-Oct-07 04:50 PM
Reply Occams Razor says this thread is done, Zulghinlour, 21-Oct-07 08:49 PM, #49
Reply RE: So who besides me thinks game balance is a laughabl..., DurNominator, 21-Oct-07 01:08 PM, #38
Reply Some recent players and their stats prove you wrong., Lyristeon, 21-Oct-07 07:24 AM, #30
Reply Yeah but, geez..., Theerkla, 21-Oct-07 08:14 AM, #34
Reply RE: Some recent players and their stats prove you wrong..., trewyn, 21-Oct-07 01:04 PM, #37
Reply RE: Some recent players and their stats prove you wrong..., Lyristeon, 21-Oct-07 04:23 PM, #43
Reply Grapevine says Q is nep aka overpowered, nerf plz nt, snowlauncher, 21-Oct-07 05:10 PM, #46
     Reply RE: Grapevine says Q is nep aka overpowered, nerf plz n..., Lyristeon, 21-Oct-07 06:15 PM, #47
Reply RE: Some recent players and their stats prove you wrong..., Daevryn, 21-Oct-07 04:28 PM, #45
Reply RE: Some recent players and their stats prove you wrong..., Valguarnera, 21-Oct-07 07:03 PM, #48
Reply And similar stats for top magi are? nt, DurNominator, 21-Oct-07 01:09 PM, #39
     Reply RE: And similar stats for top magi are? nt, Lyristeon, 21-Oct-07 04:06 PM, #42
Reply Super prepped., Cerunnir, 20-Oct-07 10:41 AM, #15
Reply Their preps are generally harder to get than sleeks, Dervish, 21-Oct-07 03:48 AM, #28
Reply Not I!, Valguarnera, 20-Oct-07 10:17 AM, #13
Reply RE: Not I!, Isildur, 20-Oct-07 03:14 PM, #17
     Reply Present characters only., Valguarnera, 20-Oct-07 03:25 PM, #18
          Reply Do you have an all-time deadliest list?, Lightmage, 21-Oct-07 03:07 PM, #40
Reply this is strange, and what I think are some good ideas, Odrirg, 20-Oct-07 10:03 AM #12
Reply RE: this is strange, and what I think are some good ide..., Daevryn, 20-Oct-07 10:20 AM, #14
     Reply RE: this is strange, and what I think are some good ide..., _Magus_, 20-Oct-07 12:00 PM, #16
     Reply RE: this is strange, and what I think are some good ide..., Daevryn, 20-Oct-07 11:50 PM, #23
     Reply RE: this is strange, and what I think are some good ide..., Zulghinlour, 21-Oct-07 12:03 AM, #26
     Reply RE: this is strange, and what I think are some good ide..., Odrirg, 20-Oct-07 04:34 PM, #19
          Reply You're thinking about this in a very limited fashion, A2, 20-Oct-07 06:17 PM, #20
               Reply Yeah, on that note:, Daevryn, 20-Oct-07 11:53 PM, #24
Reply I should note, incognito, 20-Oct-07 09:16 AM, #9
Reply RE: So who besides me thinks game balance is a laughabl..., incognito, 20-Oct-07 09:04 AM, #8
Reply Short version:, Daevryn, 19-Oct-07 10:38 PM, #4
Reply I dunno..., trewyn, 19-Oct-07 10:55 PM, #6
Reply Not that I agree with the OP, Theerkla, 20-Oct-07 09:53 AM, #10
     Reply RE: Not that I agree with the OP, Daevryn, 20-Oct-07 10:01 AM, #11
     Reply Yeah, but with mael + META BOOSTED EVADE..., Xenoroyal, 20-Oct-07 10:30 PM, #21
          Reply RE: Yeah, but with mael + META BOOSTED EVADE..., Daevryn, 20-Oct-07 11:45 PM, #22
               Reply RE: Yeah, but with mael + META BOOSTED EVADE..., Xenoroyal, 21-Oct-07 01:39 AM, #27
               Reply RE: Yeah, but with mael + META BOOSTED EVADE..., Valguarnera, 21-Oct-07 07:36 AM, #31
                    Reply Is this from someone that looked at and knows the code?, Theerkla, 21-Oct-07 08:10 AM, #33
                         Reply Yes., Sebeok, 21-Oct-07 10:07 AM, #35
                              Reply You know, that really was an honest question, Theerkla, 21-Oct-07 11:08 AM, #36
                                   Reply Hey Mr. Black and White, trewyn, 21-Oct-07 03:44 PM, #41
                                        Reply RE: Hey Mr. Black and White, Daevryn, 21-Oct-07 04:25 PM, #44
               Reply Lvl difference vs. neuro save.., TheDude, 21-Oct-07 04:00 AM, #29
                    Reply RE: Lvl difference vs. neuro save.., Valguarnera, 21-Oct-07 07:40 AM, #32
     Reply On this vein from what I've seen as both the muter and ..., Drag0nSt0rm, 20-Oct-07 11:54 PM, #25
Reply As someone who plays a lot of different classes, A2, 19-Oct-07 06:41 PM, #2
Reply RE: As someone who plays a lot of different classes, Daevryn, 19-Oct-07 10:30 PM, #3
Reply I'm gonna go ahead and bite on this one., Kadsuane, 19-Oct-07 05:55 PM, #1
     Reply RE: I'm gonna go ahead and bite on this one., trewyn, 19-Oct-07 10:46 PM, #5
          Reply RE: I'm gonna go ahead and bite on this one., Daevryn, 20-Oct-07 12:05 AM, #7
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #19548 Previous topic | Next topic