Subject: "You make some interesting points.." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Marketing CF Topic #769
Show all folders

MendosMon 13-Jul-15 07:34 PM
Member since 16th Oct 2013
180 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#775, "You make some interesting points.."
Edited on Mon 13-Jul-15 07:38 PM

MUDs still have an edge over graphical games in some ways. Social interaction is a big one.

If I go on WoW and I interact with other people, I pick from a bunch of predefined actions. The same is true of any graphical game. With stuff like say, emotes and so on, literally the exact thing I type is input into the MUD*. People can interpret that imagery in their brains however they like. The same with areas and exploration. My idea of somewhere like Organia, and yours (if we explored it together) are highly personalized. That's the beauty of text over graphics. The issue is that market trends seem to have moved against MUDs, which is to be expected. We are talking about a steam engine when companies are considering 100% electric engines, or hydrogen fuel cells.

Market tastes have deviated from text-heavy into graphical in general. So despite what we might reel off as benefits of MUDs, we need to focus on the reality of modern market tastes.

Either we identify niches where MUD playing would be accepted or (more difficult, I know) we need to convince the conventional market that MUDs still have their charm. In that sense we would need to distinguish ourselves from a graphic game, and sell/convince people that there is merit in it.

*Part of the reason why:
-Herald is important, even though a lot of Vets don't enjoy it.
-Immteraction is a good thing for the game (regardless of Imm Xp).

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicThe time honored "Invite players to help market" thread... [View all] , Mendos, Fri 10-Jul-15 12:08 PM
Reply RE: The time honored , Retan, 17-Jul-15 08:38 PM, #7
Reply MUDs niche, Kstatida, 12-Jul-15 04:37 AM, #3
Reply You make some interesting points.., Mendos, 13-Jul-15 07:38 PM #6
Reply Wiki, Tsunami, 10-Jul-15 12:20 PM, #1
     Reply Targeted adds, Zargu, 11-Jul-15 04:57 AM, #2
     Reply We're looking into this., Mendos, 13-Jul-15 07:28 PM, #5
     Reply If you are serious about contributing., Raltevio, 13-Jul-15 09:03 AM, #4
Top General Discussions Marketing CF Topic #769 Previous topic | Next topic