Subject: "Dullameh's Strategic Plan (R)" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Marketing CF Topic #281
Show all folders

DullamehThu 05-Feb-09 04:08 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
11 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#451, "Dullameh's Strategic Plan (R)"

Hello again.

It's been a little while since I've posted here, but I wanted to throw my two cents into the ring.

Heroimm Process:

I tried the heroimm thing once, several years ago. I remember how happy and peppy I was. I even got some joy out of filling out and faxing in the NDA. But then I remember a bunch of great people in Immland, and, unfortunately, a couple of kind of stuffy ones (now long gone) who caused me a series of frustrations that caused me to pull out. Simply put, I didn't need to add stress to my already stressful life. I don't blame anyone for my decision to delete but myself. But if the heroimm process had a few more carrots and a little less stick than it did, say, in 2003-04, then that would be awesome.

Attracting More Players:

In real life, I'm a professional writer with a degree in online media. I have a pretty good grasp on how the media - both online and print - works. I hope that gives what I'm going to say some validity, somehow.

In short, a mission statement would be wonderful. An ethical guideline would be great.

But what we really need is to create something attractive and accessible to those outside the shrinking niche community of MUDding. In order to play CF, you have to either use a sorely lacking Java client or actually research and download a mudding client from a third-party site. Add to that the fact that CF has a pretty steep learning curve once you do finally start playing the game.

So, here is a list of things I would do, in the order I would do them (after the preliminary, mission statement-type stuff):

PHASE ONE - "Set 'em up":

- Start taking applications for talented volunteers -- IMM and non-IMM -- to help create at least a basic MUD client solely for CF. Preferably Flash or Java. Maybe even add special features to that client, i.e. a graphical character creation process and newbie guide. Hell, if a CFer has musical talent, we could incorporate music into the newbie guide. You want to know about Empire? Well, as you read the Empire helpfile, maybe you'd like to see a painting of the Imperial City and Palace and hear the Empire theme song.

Also, make CF support aliases... or hardcode an alias feature into CF itself, as many other MUDs have done.

As for employing non-IMM volunteers, I know it's something that CF has not traditionally done. But I've seen a few small steps being taken away from that old philosophy, like the short stories on the CF homepage. That said, not everyone has the time or, frankly, the RP prowess to be a good IMM. But that doesn't mean they don't have the skills to contribute. I say there's no harm in giving them any task that doesn't involve direct access to the CF code.

I've never seen or heard of an online community with more collective talent and smarts that failed so miserably to use them.

- Meanwhile, start looking for ways to bolster the IMM ranks. This may mean less bureaucratic stuff/area writing and more Immteraction and cabal management - things that are sorely and noticeably lacking as of right now. (Of course, they could also earn Imm Brownie Points working on the above client project...)

The reason: If we suddenly get a surge of players and we have only the current 5 active-ish IMMs are around to greet them, create memorable quests and activities, and address their concerns, then we can assume they'll probably just go and find something else to do, instead.

Once all of this is in place - a viable Flash client and several new, perky Imms - then it would be time to go on to the second phase.

PHASE TWO - "Knock 'em down":

Some of this seems lofty; it is not. Many media outlets are ALWAYS looking for a story. And on slow news days/weeks/months, you'd be surprised to see how easy it is to get into newspapers, magazines and online publications.

- That new, flashy Flash client? See if you can post it up on online Flash game Web sites. That would attract people who might not usually look for MUDs, or even know what a MUD is. The initial graphic interface for the character creation/optional newbie tutorial would hopefully be enough to inspire them.

- Next, start reaching out to news media. The bad economy is a PERFECT way in. People are blowing money on World of Warcraft every month. They aren't learning reading or typing skills. CF doesn't have a monthly fee or expansion packs to buy. And to be honest, I sucked at typing until I started MUDding (laughably badly) at the age of 11ish.

So now you'd send out a press release touting these qualities.

A good press release would mention World of Warcraft for two reasons - people searching WOW on the Internet might stumble across the press release. Also, everyone knows what WOW is, so journalists who know nothing about MUDs would be able understand basically what CF is right away. (I'll write up a sample press release when I have time.)

Reach out directly to comic book/fantasy shops across the U.S. (and world).

Comic book shops, the good ones, at least, are extremely close-knit communities. If you turn just a few on to CF, then holy crap, we'll see a huge and permanent increase in players.

Make catchy fliers with the CF logo and art. I vaguely recall the flier thing being done before, but I don't think it was executed well. Encourage CF players to print them out and hand deliver them to the comic book shops. Chat up the store owner. Many comic book/fantasy shops host regular tabletop roleplaying and strategy game tournaments. These are the types who could be easily wooed.

A possible reward for CF players: if a comic book store owner contacts you (providing proof that he or she really is a comic book store owner), maybe toss the player a free PBF or three.

More specifics and details later. I gotta get back to work.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT TopicStrategic Plan [View all] , Kastellyn, Tue 04-Dec-07 01:56 PM
Reply Eskelian's strategic plan., Eskelian, 14-Jul-10 08:26 PM, #27
Reply RE: Eskelian's strategic plan., HammerSong, 14-Jul-10 08:55 PM, #29
     Reply Cool., Eskelian, 14-Jul-10 10:28 PM, #30
Reply Dullameh's Strategic Plan (R), Dullameh, 05-Feb-09 04:08 PM #4
Reply You missed step one., Stunna, 06-Feb-09 10:52 AM, #6
Reply RE: You missed step one., Zulghinlour, 06-Feb-09 02:33 PM, #7
Reply Yup, Stunna, 06-Feb-09 02:59 PM, #8
     Reply RE: Yup, BaronMySoul (Anonymous), 06-Feb-09 03:54 PM, #9
     Reply Hard and Soft Marketing, Stunna, 06-Feb-09 05:33 PM, #10
          Reply RE: Hard and Soft Marketing, TheDude, 06-Feb-09 06:15 PM, #11
               Reply No argument, Stunna, 06-Feb-09 06:44 PM, #12
     Reply What do you need?, Valkenar, 07-Feb-09 01:12 AM, #15
          Reply That's borderline illegal, and I wouldn't do it. n/t, Stunna, 07-Feb-09 11:18 AM, #16
               Reply How is it borderline illegal?, Valkenar, 07-Feb-09 12:55 PM, #17
                    Reply You make a lot of assumptions., Stunna, 07-Feb-09 01:21 PM, #18
                         Reply You're blowing it out of proportion, Valkenar, 07-Feb-09 03:06 PM, #19
                              Reply CF is a real business, Zulghinlour, 07-Feb-09 04:03 PM, #20
                                   Reply RIght, Valkenar, 07-Feb-09 07:43 PM, #21
Reply RE: You missed step one., Adhelard, 06-Feb-09 07:05 PM, #14
Reply RE: You missed step one., GrahamC, 14-Mar-10 08:24 AM, #24
Reply RE: Dullameh's Strategic Plan (R), Hutto, 24-Feb-10 10:49 PM, #22
Reply RE: Dullameh's Strategic Plan (R), Hutto, 27-Feb-10 05:12 AM, #23
     Reply RE: Dullameh's Strategic Plan (R), -flso, 17-Mar-10 07:05 PM, #25
Reply Couldn't agree more with this, ORB, 18-Mar-10 12:44 PM, #26
Reply RE: Dullameh's Strategic Plan (R), Eskelian, 14-Jul-10 08:37 PM, #28
Reply Photography, Ghuljun, 04-Feb-09 02:56 PM, #3
Reply RE: Photography, Dullameh, 05-Feb-09 04:25 PM, #5
     Reply I've long advocated a 2nd purely promotional website. n..., Stunna, 06-Feb-09 06:54 PM, #13
     Reply RE: Photography, Rade, 20-Sep-10 09:50 PM, #31
Reply NAME RECOGNITION! TRADITION! STABILITY!, Moridin, 29-Dec-07 01:26 PM, #1
     Reply RE: NAME RECOGNITION! TRADITION! STABILITY!, Palaxurian, 23-Feb-08 05:45 PM, #2
          Reply I got PwN T-shirt!, SideStrider, 03-Dec-11 04:10 PM, #32
Top General Discussions Marketing CF Topic #281 Previous topic | Next topic