Subject: "Want an example?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #775
Show all folders

Mostly HarmlessTue 10-May-05 12:22 AM
Member since 30th Nov 2003
20 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#782, "Want an example?"

I'll admit, I am a grammar nazi, but there are reasons. Take this:

"I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse..."
and
"I had to help my uncle jack off a horse..."

Obviously, there is a HUGE difference between the two. In CF particularly, words like Herald and Empire could have entirely different meanings depending on the capitalization.

As far as punctuation, there is a difference between:

"I want to eat Jack"
and
"I want to eat, Jack" (sorry for the poor example - it's late)

One of my favorite is the difference between:

"A woman, without her man, is nothing."
and
"A woman: without her, man is nothing."

Hyphens are equally important. It's easier to read re-enter than reenter. A man-eating bacteria is a nasty germ, but a man eating bacteria needs to clean out his fridge more often.

Of course, I'm the type of person who yells at the "10 items or less" sign, but still. Proper grammar and punctuation is, believe it or not, important.

-----
"In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women, and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri."

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicEffective communication in Thera [View all] , Pro (inactive user), Mon 09-May-05 10:18 AM
Reply RE: Effective communication in Thera, Aarn, 09-May-05 03:48 PM, #4
Reply Thirdinated., Odrirg, 09-May-05 08:13 PM, #5
Reply Not to mention capital letters making it easier to read..., DurNominator, 09-May-05 01:19 PM, #1
     Reply I am more concerned with the rp, incognito, 09-May-05 02:00 PM, #2
          Reply Capitalization is a fairly small thing., DurNominator, 09-May-05 02:17 PM, #3
          Reply Want an example?, Mostly Harmless, 10-May-05 12:22 AM #6
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #775 Previous topic | Next topic