Subject: "RE: IC Justification of the Tell system, and other IC/O..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #686
Show all folders

shokaiSat 09-Apr-05 10:24 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
519 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#691, "RE: IC Justification of the Tell system, and other IC/O..."

There are times when I think people look too hard at things. A classic example is the old '3d pictures' where you'd stare slightly behind the poster and ho and belold an image would appear created by the colors and blurs on the print. The people who have the hardest time seeing it are the people, who inevitably, stare and stare and stare trying to force it. I refer you to Willam in the Mallrats movie. "When god, when will I see the sailboat?!?"

I bring this up because while I beleive this is actually a valid and real question, I think you're staring too hard at the poster. I'll take your question a bit further in answer that it's been done so far...sorta, but keep in mind....the key to seeing the sailboat is to relax your eyes and stare. In terms of playing CF this means there are times when the best policy is to relax and just accept certain little abiguities for the sake of game balance or needed fucntionality.

Now to answer your questions in an IC way.

There are several ways you can see a 'who' working.
- Your character asks locals what adventurers they've seen wandering the area, and draws up a quick mental image (the who list) of who is around.
- Your character is amazing at tracking different races and takes an eductated guess on who is in town.
- Banners are posted upon the arrival of all great heros (even a level 1 bard is a pretty amazing person to the common peasant) in the city.
- etc etc etc

As for tell? The helpfile really covers it best. I't just an accepted part of everyday CF life....much like the multiple death syndrome that all CF characters suffer. There isn't a real IC explanation because we decided that any IC explanation lead into bad juju and cheestasticness that we decided to avoid.

Hope that helped and remember...relax and stare, don't force it.

"drink
until you forget
taste the fate of the rest
won't you have one more glass