Subject: "RE: New player starting out! Lots of questions " Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4782
Show all folders

Thaedan (Anonymous)Thu 14-Sep-17 10:51 PM
Charter member
#4788, "RE: New player starting out! Lots of questions "

>The characters I want to build quite frankly, will land me at
>the temples far too often as a brand new player.

If you want to list some builds you're interested in playing I could try to give feedback.

>* 1) What are some recommended race / class combinations that
>are recommended for new beginners?

People often say warrior, but I'm not sure I agree. Assassin gets mentioned a lot. I tend to think paladin and shaman are decent options. If you don't mind playing a support class, then possibly healer or transmuter. Transmuter is capable of much more, but if you're brand new you might not have the chops to pull that off. Possibly shapeshifter.

>* 2) Is there a discord server where I can ask questions in
>real time?

Can use the newbie channel in game for quick questions.

>* 4) How beginner friendly are cabals? Is that an aspect of
>the game I should hold off until I have a couple characters
>under my belt? Are there some that are more beginner friendly
>than others?

I would go for it. Just don't break cabal rules and/or chicken out and fail to defend against raids. That said, people will raid you with overwhelming numbers and will hit your outer to draw you into combat whenever they think they have the advantage. It's a fine line to walk between "being smart and not walking into traps" and "being a coward and not defending your cabal".

Fort and Empire are probably the most straightforward. As a newbie you probably won't be able to make full use of Outlander powers, but if you want to play an Outlander then don't let that stop you. Scarab might be hard to pull off. Tribunal seems boring to me, but if you really want to play ne then go for it.

>* 5) What should I prioritize for learning? This might be a
>silly question, but the knowledge gap in gigantic and
>intimidating for a new player in a game with heavy PvP as
>this. I'm essentially jumping in and fighting people with 20
>years experience on me. What areas of the game would you
>prioritize first?

Learn how to get around the game. Learn basic preps and detects to keep on hand. Figure out how to gather gold relatively efficiently. Figure out what gear is decent for your build. Know how your build's skills and powers work, and who you match up poorly against (and may want to avoid entirely).

>* 6) With regards to #5, a source of stress for me is finding
>gear after dying. I remember that death usually meant my stuff
>would get taken (the goodie bits anyway). How far into the
>game will the beginners gear get me? (leather academy gear,
>rings from the castle area off the main road etc)

The rings can last a while. The rest is usually replacable in the 10-15 range. Possibly using stuff you find on the ground, which may or may not always be there. You can search for basic gear at carrionfields.net now, which is helpful. On the plus side, the less impressive your gear is the more likely you are to keep it when you die.

>* 7) How much harder will I make it on myself if my first
>character(s) are empowered required classes?

Not that much harder. Empowerment isn't strictly required anymore. Your communes are just one level "waker" than normal if you're not empowered. I'd still recommend picking an active imm and getting empowered, though, because it's more fun and your character isn't fighting with one hand tied behind his or her back. Look at wizlist to see when people are active and who's dormant.

Put in a description and role at level one, and send your deity a note in game declaring your devotion to them. Gives them a heads up to look for you.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicNew player starting out! Lots of questions [View all] , LordCardigan, Wed 30-Aug-17 06:39 PM
Reply Trains and Practices, Seriphax, 15-Sep-17 08:58 PM, #7
Reply RE: New player starting out! Lots of questions , Thaedan (Anonymous), 14-Sep-17 10:51 PM #5
Reply Forget paths and virtues.., SPN, 15-Sep-17 08:40 AM, #6
Reply RE: New player starting out! Lots of questions , Seriphax, 14-Sep-17 10:48 PM, #4
Reply RE: New player starting out! Lots of questions , Demonwareltd, 12-Sep-17 11:49 AM, #2
Reply RE: New player starting out! Lots of questions , Kstatida, 12-Sep-17 12:53 PM, #3
Reply RE: New player starting out! Lots of questions , Kstatida, 31-Aug-17 06:38 AM, #1
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4782 Previous topic | Next topic