Subject: "Yes and no..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4691
Show all folders

TwistWed 25-Jan-17 10:28 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4694, "Yes and no..."

Many people now write roles largely to get rolexp from them. If I saw a role entry that was essentially just a log of a conversation, I personally wouldn't award rolexp for it. I'd mark it as having been read, and move on.

However, I've often wrote role entries that are ABOUT a conversation I've had. And included snippets of the conversation within it.

The easiest comparison I can make is the difference between how a screenplay is written and how a scene of that same dialogue might be written in book form.

Here's a really simplistic example of the difference.

Log Format:
Joebob says 'You must die because you are a mage and mages burned my village!'
You say 'Fool! I draw my power from the Gods! I'm no pathetic magician.'

Role format:
Mycharname had a conversation with an idiot battlerager today, who swore to kill Mycharname.

"You must die because you are a mage and mages burned my village!" said Joebob.

Mycharname retorted that Joebob should take note of the fact that he was actually a shaman, not a magician of any sort.

"Fool! I draw my power from the Gods! I'm no pathetic magician.'

The "role format" version above lets you keep track of that conversation, but can be part of a role update that shows why that conversation had an effect on your character (and what that effect might be).

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicIs it ever appropriate to put a log of an in-game conve... [View all] , Newish to CF (Anonymous), Tue 24-Jan-17 09:06 PM
Reply Yes and no..., Twist, 25-Jan-17 10:28 AM #3
Reply Yeah we know you're harsh, Kstatida, 25-Jan-17 12:26 PM, #4
Reply I think I did a pretty good job of this with Yllonis., SPN, 28-Jan-17 02:19 PM, #5
Reply We have a great history of drug trip impressious being ..., Kstatida, 25-Jan-17 07:45 AM, #2
Reply Roles can be written in any way, Murphy, 24-Jan-17 09:34 PM, #1
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4691 Previous topic | Next topic