Subject: "I can definitely relate" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3718
Show all folders

Still Learning (Anonymous)Sat 10-Mar-12 04:13 PM
Charter member
#3743, "I can definitely relate"

I've been playing about a year and a half. I've had several times over the first year+ where I was feeling exactly the same way--why am I even trying when it's so difficult and clearly everyone else knows so much more than I do? It beats you down, at times.

I started with a warrior and got destroyed after I got above level 30. The hidden enemy thing was very difficult to deal with and I nearly gave up after countless assassinations. But after keeping with it (I then tried an assassin and learned how to deal with them, then heroed for the first time as a shapeshifter), I can say you do get to a point where you'll be able to survive most fights. You may not pk others a lot, but you can definitely make a character that will survive pretty well, to a point where you can focus more on RP and exploring. That's the start- then you can really learn your way around, find gear and preps, and learn the strategy of different classes, fighting in different locations/situations, how to RP well, get a better understanding of cabal politics, game history, etc.

In addition to assassins and rangers, I'd suggest trying a defense major shapeshifter (you really don't have to worry about gear much, can learn wand locations). Nexus or Fort would fit well. Rank up quick, try to hide out in more obscure places (not just sitting in your Galadon guild), and always be ready to run.

You could also try a thief- gentlewalk and steal make thieves pretty good for exploring, peeking at others inventories and stealing gear has major perks. Just don't expect to kill a lot of people.

Races like drow, duergar, and elves will put a target on your back. Mages will always be hunted by villagers, so just be aware and always have a plan to get away. It won't always work, but usually it will. Spam your teleport and word spells until they are perfected, always be flying, etc.

I'd highly suggest getting into a cabal that is pretty active and flexible- Nexus or Fort (or maybe Battle, but it can be tough to not have the escape options you get from potions or spells). That will plug you into a network of friends who will help you get gear and can give you guidance along the way.

Most of all, just keep in mind that we all go through this frustration early on and that every class has it's weaknesses. This game has a very steep learning curve, but keep at it and you will find that there is some great RP and that with the right knowledge and character design you can definitely get to where you will survive pretty well. Then comes the really fun (and hard part)--being able to pk well and developing some great RP.

Take a break, think about your next strategy and an appealing role/class/cabal combo...and come back and try again! If you have friends to learn with, you're better off than I am and will likely learn a lot faster.

Good luck and hope to see you in the fields again.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT TopicAnother new player, turned off from game. [View all] , Eldras (Anonymous), Tue 06-Mar-12 12:18 PM
Reply I can definitely relate, Still Learning (Anonymous), 10-Mar-12 04:13 PM #23
Reply You should give it another go, making the right decisio..., -flso, 09-Mar-12 10:16 PM, #22
Reply RE: You should give it another go, making the right dec..., Illanthos, 10-Mar-12 05:50 PM, #24
Reply A couple of questions, Kongpin (NOT Qaledus), 06-Mar-12 07:42 PM, #16
Reply Are you specifically looking for new player feedback?, Straklaw, 06-Mar-12 07:55 PM, #17
Reply RE: A couple of questions, Eldras (Anonymous), 06-Mar-12 08:02 PM, #18
     Reply What level range were you getting slaughtered at?, TMNS, 06-Mar-12 11:08 PM, #20
          Reply I am going to agree with everyone else here..., Illanthos, 07-Mar-12 02:44 PM, #21
Reply I'm sorry to hear this., Homard, 06-Mar-12 02:37 PM, #11
Reply RE: Another new player, turned off from game., Daevryn, 06-Mar-12 01:44 PM, #5
Reply RE: Another new player, turned off from game., Eldras (Anonymous), 06-Mar-12 01:56 PM, #7
     Reply Unless you're applying to Battle, invis shouldn't matte..., Twist, 06-Mar-12 02:00 PM, #8
     Reply RE: Unless you're applying to Battle, invis shouldn't m..., Demonwareltd, 06-Mar-12 02:08 PM, #9
          Reply That's cool. CF isn't for everyone., TMNS, 06-Mar-12 11:04 PM, #19
               Reply Exactly right,, Obaznuk, 12-Mar-12 12:31 AM, #25
     Reply RE: Another new player, turned off from game., Daevryn, 06-Mar-12 02:08 PM, #10
          Reply the more, the merrier..., vorian, 09-Apr-12 10:57 PM, #26
               Reply RE: the more, the merrier..., Daevryn, 10-Apr-12 07:34 AM, #28
               Reply RE: the more, the merrier..., vorian, 10-Apr-12 09:51 PM, #30
               Reply Gear advantage., Shapa, 11-Apr-12 03:10 PM, #32
Reply It's a harsh game, believe me, Beer, 06-Mar-12 01:34 PM, #4
Reply Cf isn't for you., Tsunami, 06-Mar-12 01:28 PM, #3
Reply RE: Cf isn't for you., vorian, 09-Apr-12 11:04 PM, #27
     Reply Because, Tsunami, 10-Apr-12 11:35 AM, #29
          Reply RE: Because, vorian, 11-Apr-12 12:50 AM, #31
Reply what do you mean no logical reason to kill you?, laxman, 06-Mar-12 01:16 PM, #2
Reply Why not just learn to pk?, Lhydia, 06-Mar-12 01:15 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Why not just learn to pk?, Eldra (Anonymous), 06-Mar-12 01:53 PM, #6
          Reply RE: Why not just learn to pk?, Straklaw, 06-Mar-12 02:38 PM, #12
          Reply Pkilling is RP, Tac, 06-Mar-12 02:38 PM, #13
               Reply Fantasy v. Reality, Homard, 06-Mar-12 03:02 PM, #14
                    Reply The story doesn't end at death...., Tac, 06-Mar-12 06:04 PM, #15
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3718 Previous topic | Next topic