Subject: "RP. A bit too serious." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #301
Show all folders

RandiirThu 27-Nov-03 10:59 AM
Member since 04th Aug 2003
2 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#301, "RP. A bit too serious."

Im not new to mudding but I am new to this mud. I've been on for about 10 hours all up, and have got Randiir to level 10. So far, I think CF has got alot going for it as far as zones, skills and the diversification of playing styles amongst races, classes, etc. In fact CF is probably the best thought out and well planned mud on the net.

However, with all the different skills, spells, weapontypes, races, religions, spheres, paths, alignments, ethos, etc, etc, it is a bit daunting to new players trying to get along here.

In the short time I've been on CF. I've seen more newbs get flamed for being ooc than actually offered any help. I just saw a newb get rebuked on the newbie channel for saying 'OK', instead of 'Okay' because apparently 'We take our mud seriously.'
Heres the dialogue. (I've changed the names)

Player1: Newb to ask out of character questions use the newbie channel. newbie <text>
Newb: k thanks
Player1: Do not use shorthand here okay?
Newb: ok
Player1: Okay rather.
Newb: rofl
Newb: i can't even say OK
Newb: xxxxxxxxxx
Player1: We take our mud seriously. Just try it before you judge it.
Newb: mudding is a game, im not going to take it seriously
Newb: im out
Newb: xxxx
Player1: Good.

RP is important to a good mud and should be enforced...to an extent. But I do feel that it can go a bit far. Flaming a player for saying OK!! What's so wrong with 'OK' whether in char or out of char. I know that this is an extreme example, but the only thing really putting me off this mud is that it is very hard to ask for help or express yourself without getting jumped on for being OOC. I've never seen a mud with a newbie channel (or any channel) sooooo quiet. People are too scared to speak.

Perhaps, Carrion Fields would have a bigger player base, which generally means more interesting and dynamic game play, if we could all relax and loosen up a bit and stop pretending that there aren't real people behind the characters we are interacting with.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicRP. A bit too serious. [View all] , Randiir, Thu 27-Nov-03 10:59 AM
Reply In fact the more I read this., (NOT Pro), 12-Dec-03 03:13 PM, #9
Reply Something to keep in mind., Blachmianan, 27-Nov-03 02:15 PM, #5
Reply For what it's worth:, Valguarnera, 27-Nov-03 02:08 PM, #4
Reply either you misinterpreted or, incognito, 27-Nov-03 12:55 PM, #2
Reply I disagree on one point., (NOT Pro), 12-Dec-03 02:55 PM, #8
Reply I'm OK with OK., Sevarecan, 27-Nov-03 12:50 PM, #1
     Reply heh. an anagram?, incognito, 27-Nov-03 12:58 PM, #3
     Reply D'oh! Yeah, I meant acronym. (n/t), Sevarecan, 27-Nov-03 09:34 PM, #6
     Reply I'm ok with ok also, but I can understand people who ar..., Theerkla, 27-Nov-03 09:54 PM, #7
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #301 Previous topic | Next topic