Subject: "I laughed so hard I litterally almost crapped myself!" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #2105
Show all folders

mageSun 09-Dec-12 11:55 PM
Member since 05th Apr 2008
248 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2161, "I laughed so hard I litterally almost crapped myself!"

The reason this was so unbearably hilarious is that I grew up on a farm myself and have had a number of varied experience with wild deer. For starters, my uncle found a very small fawn curled up by its dead mother along the road, and took it in to care for. They named it Ming Ming and raised him to adulthood. He could be somewhat skittish around people he didn't know, but was quite friendly if someone he trusted introduced them. They had him for two or three years and allowed him to wander around their property freely. He stayed voluntarily with no need for a pen once he reached adulthood (except as a safe place to sleep, protected from coyotes). Sadly, because he had no fear of humans, some hunter shot him one hunting season.

Those few years were not much for educating me about wild deer, though, since that one was domesticated at a very young age. However, I have observed wild deer fighting each other just a couple hundred feet away from me, in the corn field across the road from my house in my childhood home. They are quite vicious when they rear up and start boxing with their hooves. I have seen them tear bark and even sizable chips of wood from tree trunks when they fight next to a tree.

Thirdly, I've personally watched deer jump a good 10 feet vertically to clear a fence when good food was on the other side. I've also watched a running deer jump a good 25+ feet to clear a river with deep banks with a coyote hot on her tail (at least until she cleared the river and left the coyote on the other side). So given how high and far they can potentially jump (when properly motivated), it stands to reason that, despite their sometimes small size, they are extremely strong animals.

In regards to biting, one of my dad's acquaintances tried to help a deer that was caught in a tangle of scrap barbed wire. It bit the crap out of him! He ended up with stitches all over his arm and still has the scars to prove it. He did manage to free the deer, and it ran off, leaving him bleeding profusely.

Having grown up with these types of experiences, both personal and second hand, I learned that, although they may look cute and harmless, and are not really the brightest animals out there, they are far from harmless, and I should maintain a healthy respect for what they can do in close quarters.

When I reached high school and started hunting, I had a chance to talk with various other hunters with more experience than me who confirmed the legitimacy of that healthy respect for what they can do. Several years later, when I was in basic training for the Army, there was a guy in platoon who we nicknamed, "Cowboy" because he could take his boot lace, tie it into a lasso, and literally lasso your foot as you walked by him, yank on it to make you stumble, then quickly tie the lace around your foot with a few flicks of his wrist (I watched him do it with several others, then asked him to do it to me. He was scary with a boot lace!). He liked to tell stories about the rodeos he competed in (and often won, with pictures of the trophies for proof), but one time he was talking about roping things on his ranch. One day while he was watching his family's herd, he saw some deer grazing with the cattle and decided to try to rope one. Like the farmer in your story, he didn't think the deer would provide much of a challenge, so when he got the rope around its neck, he wasn't nearly as quick to tie it off on the saddle horn of his horse as he would have been if it was a 900 lb steer. Consequently, as soon as that rope snugged up around the deer's neck, it bolted and yanked "Cowboy" right off his horse, dragging him across the ground a good 30 feet or so before he wised up and let go. Apparently the deer eventually managed to figure out how to remove the rope, because it was found several miles away a few days later. Having learned all I had about deer while I was growing up, I laughed my ass off as he was telling his story.

But this one totally trumps Cowboy's story!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicWhy we shoot deer in the wild... [View all] , Odrallag, Tue 13-Dec-11 10:23 AM
Reply The humor in the post aside, DurNominator, 11-Dec-12 04:36 PM, #3
Reply I laughed so hard I litterally almost crapped myself!, mage, 09-Dec-12 11:55 PM #2
Reply Nice one, Tsunami, 13-Dec-11 11:20 AM, #1
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #2105 Previous topic | Next topic