Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #2096
Show all folders

incognitoMon 28-Nov-11 02:36 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2104, "Don't like them"
Edited on Mon 28-Nov-11 02:41 AM

Personally I consider them self-indulgent attention-seekers. If they wanted to make a difference and make society more equal, they could better achieve it by each doing small things for those less advantaged.

Also, I find their camps are basically squats, although in their defense they do seem to collect the litter nearby. The camp in the middle of our "green" is definitely becoming more wooden, and they've said they want to make it a permanent place built of wood. I find that to be little more than a grab of prime public land which previously the whole city could enjoy.

My main gripe is that it's difficult for me to speak out, because I'm one of the "1%". And yet, I probably do more for equality than any of them. I fund a place at a fee-paying school each year for a kid that can't afford it, as do many of my friends, to help ensure that kids without money can still benefit from the education we had. And I give a fair chunk of my time to my role as governor of a state school, which as well as handling their budget, health and safety, interviews etc. (all for free) also includes reading with kids whose parents can't be bothered.

On top of that, I rent out the only property I own (because I'm happy to rent where I live) for about 60% of market price, to enable a family to raise their kid in a family-friendly part of town that they otherwise couldn't afford.

Apparently though, this makes me a money-grabbing weasel responsible for all of society's ills.

The irony is, the reason my income went through the roof was the piles of complex red-tape introduced by the political party that allegedly fights for the masses. (Shame it won't achieve what they intended it to.) They also managed to massively increase the wages of GPs (also extremely well paid) while they were at it. Interestingly the top end of the teaching scale is also extremely well paid. (You've got head teachers on £150k plus per annum, and some heads of department on £70k+, and money is also being spent on things like "learning from other schools" which involved teachers being sent to africa to teach there at considerable expense. Where they observed the obvious.)

So yeah, I'm not a fan of people whose idea of helping society is to camp in public places for extended periods.

Rant over.

What I will add though is that my main gripe is that many of the people at the top are actually quite bad at their jobs. Of the many CEOs I've worked with, I'd say that 3 (literally) were outstanding and the rest (around a dozen) were mediocre. Yet they all got similarly generous packages. Exec pay has shot up because they have negotiating power, but many do a shabby job and benefit from a company cover-up, because no company can afford to admit that the CEO leaving it was actually doing a bad job for the last couple of years. So bad performers can continue to negotiate their salaries up equally well as good performers. That lacks justice.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicOccupy Movements [View all] , Straklaw, Thu 24-Nov-11 04:02 PM
Reply Don't like them, incognito, 28-Nov-11 02:41 AM #8
Reply I honestly don't care too much., Batman (Anonymous), 27-Nov-11 09:59 PM, #7
Reply Do not support., Homard, 24-Nov-11 06:23 PM, #1
     Reply I can refute your wall of text with one sentence, vargal, 24-Nov-11 10:19 PM, #2
          Reply Oversimplification., Homard, 25-Nov-11 11:10 AM, #3
               Reply So sayeth the "Good Germans". nt, vargal, 26-Nov-11 11:24 AM, #4
                    Reply What a well formulated argument., Homard, 26-Nov-11 11:47 AM, #5
                         Reply You're a nazi. I win. Nt, Batman (Anonymous), 27-Nov-11 09:47 PM, #6
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #2096 Previous topic | Next topic