Subject: "RE: Hey, I know we've got some chefs out here..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #1767
Show all folders

ValguarneraFri 02-May-08 09:30 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1768, "RE: Hey, I know we've got some chefs out here..."

Disclaimer: I am not at the professional chef level by a wide margin, just a run-of-the-mill good cook. (I'm also a chemist by training, which I swear helps.)

One thing we've enjoyed is taking cooking classes together. The good news is that if it works, you can plan subsequent (and less expensive) evenings at home as a couple or with friends.

Look around at local high-end restaurants, especially if you're near a bigger city which attracts 'name' chefs. If you can't find something like that, you might be able to find a cooking academy that offers courses for non-professionals at night. The one we use frequently does "date night" classes. Avoid the mechanics-oriented ones (knifework is fun, but not date-ish!), and look for something that comes with wine.

We've since had a lot of fun using our class skills to host sushi night for our friends. (And her parents. Valg is brave!) Sushi's quite expensive if you go out, but if you know how to make your own, it's very reasonable even when you're buying top-end fish, since a little goes a long way. (We've done sushi dinners for 4 for $30-$40 plus sake, and had more food than we could eat. If you go this route, make sure you buy your fish from a top place-- ask a reputable sushi restaurant where they buy their fish.)

On a lower budget, we've also made our own pasta and done some quality Italian stuff. This is time-consuming, but fun in a hands-on kind of way. Note: Italian chefs will try to pick up every lady at the class. That's not just my opinion, that's science.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicHey, I know we've got some chefs out here... [View all] , colospgsbryan, Fri 02-May-08 07:11 PM
Reply Late, sorry, but one of my favorites:, Rayihn, 07-May-08 07:24 AM, #4
Reply RE: Late, sorry, but one of my favorites:, Snarf, 07-May-08 04:34 PM, #5
Reply ubernecro post, Fjarn, 30-Mar-09 07:20 PM, #7
Reply RE: Hey, I know we've got some chefs out here..., Eskelian, 05-May-08 02:09 AM, #2
Reply Man, if I didn't know already, I could tell you're from..., TheLastMohican, 06-May-08 11:27 PM, #3
     Reply RE: Man, if I didn't know already, I could tell you're ..., Eskelian, 09-May-08 10:52 AM, #6
Reply RE: Hey, I know we've got some chefs out here..., Valguarnera, 02-May-08 09:30 PM #1
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #1767 Previous topic | Next topic