Subject: "RE: Math is very much a part of the Axis of Evil (n/t)" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #1594
Show all folders

IsildurWed 05-Dec-07 02:22 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1597, "RE: Math is very much a part of the Axis of Evil (n/t)"

Okay, you asked for it. I'm going to assume this means you want to help. Hopefully you can save me the shame of additional newbie-ish posts to the help-gsl mailing list.

I don't fully understand the GSL calls that allow the govern to test whether the iteration (all the solvers are iterative) should stop.

One is based on "absolute error" and "relative error", while the others use gradient values.

Relevant docs:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/manual/html_node/Search-Stopping-Parameters-for-Minimization-Algorithms.html

My question concerns the first method, gsl_multifit_test_delta(). When I pass in values for epsabs and epsrel, what exactly does the function compare them against?

If after j iterations my system is:

F_1(a_j, b_j, c_j) = error_1_j
F_2(a_j, b_j, c_j) = error_2_j
F_i(a_j, b_j, c_j) = error_i_j
F_m(a_j, b_j, c_j) = error_m_j

Then after the next iteration it will be:

F_1(a_k, b_k, c_k) = error_1_k
F_2(a_k, b_k, c_k) = error_2_k
F_i(a_k, b_k, c_k) = error_i_k
F_m(a_k, b_k, c_k) = error_m_k

where k = j + 1, each parameter (a,b,c) has been perturbed slightly, and the residual error values have (hopefully) decreased.

What I'm interested in minimizing is the root mean squared error, or the square root of the mean squared error over the set of residuals. Is that what the docs are talking about when they use the term "absolute error"?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Topicobscure question [View all] , Isildur, Wed 05-Dec-07 02:43 AM
Reply Math is very much a part of the Axis of Evil (n/t), Zulghinlour, 05-Dec-07 11:20 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Math is very much a part of the Axis of Evil (n/t), Isildur, 05-Dec-07 02:22 PM #2
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #1594 Previous topic | Next topic