Subject: "RE: Evolution of the human mind" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #1445
Show all folders

DaevrynThu 13-Sep-07 01:38 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1451, "RE: Evolution of the human mind"

I don't know, it mostly makes sense to me.

Intelligence is an evolutionarily adaptive trait, but it's not necessarily the most important evolutionarily adaptive trait.

You figure all the good traits have opportunity costs. Intelligence probably is reasonably 'expensive' in multiple ways -- tends to need a larger organism that can support a big brain, tends to be able to gather excess food/resources to support it, tends to need a longer lifespan to develop/function than some other traits, etc. Probably an organism needs to be past certain thresholds in mobility, defense, food gathering, etc. before intelligence becomes a 'good buy'.

I assume if life on earth was somehow left alone long enough a variety of highly intelligent species would develop; the reason that hasn't happened is that once you get a first (presumably?) species on that level, in a lot of ways they step outside of / alter the course of normal evolution* such that the balance of trait value is all shaken up again. For example, now for squirrels 'instincts that avoid being hit by cars' or 'ability to scavenge Cool Ranch Doritos'** might suddenly have high evolutionary values as traits, whereas a thousand years ago those traits would have had no value at all.

* It's reasonable to say that humans are still evolving, but the pressures/choices of humans in modern human society, from an evolutionary standpoint, are vastly different than they would be for humans in the wild.

** I swear I have seen many squirrels forage these out of garbage and eat them.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicEvolution of the human mind [View all] , Leprechaun, Thu 13-Sep-07 08:55 AM
Reply I would add something to you list., Odrirg, 15-Sep-07 08:10 PM, #13
Reply You're mixing theories.., vargal, 15-Sep-07 08:57 PM, #14
Reply nope let me elaborate somewhat., Odrirg, 16-Sep-07 04:55 AM, #15
Reply That's a good point, Leprechaun, 17-Sep-07 02:35 AM, #16
Reply Part C, from primitive mind to modern man, Leprechaun, 14-Sep-07 03:11 AM, #8
Reply RE: Part C, from primitive mind to modern man, TheFrog, 14-Sep-07 05:03 PM, #11
     Reply Basically life has become too complex, Leprechaun, 17-Sep-07 03:39 AM, #17
Reply You should ask the dolphins., GinGa, 13-Sep-07 11:35 AM, #3
Reply I've been skipping the Dolphinese classes :( nt, Leprechaun, 13-Sep-07 11:55 AM, #4
Reply RE: Evolution of the human mind, Isildur, 13-Sep-07 11:08 AM, #1
     Reply Especially chimps would have to be superior, but they'r..., Leprechaun, 13-Sep-07 11:21 AM, #2
     Reply Chimps cannot speak, DurNominator, 13-Sep-07 12:57 PM, #5
          Reply RE: Chimps cannot speak, Leprechaun, 14-Sep-07 04:02 AM, #9
               Reply Re: chimps, DurNominator, 14-Sep-07 10:07 AM, #10
     Reply RE: Evolution of the human mind, Daevryn, 13-Sep-07 01:38 PM #6
          Reply RE: Evolution of the human mind, Leprechaun, 14-Sep-07 02:10 AM, #7
          Reply RE: Evolution of the human mind, Eskelian, 14-Sep-07 05:09 PM, #12
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #1445 Previous topic | Next topic