Subject: "RE: A short introduction." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #1226
Show all folders

IsildurTue 07-Aug-07 03:03 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1235, "RE: A short introduction."

>Mmm, never had someone go through that much to try and take me
>out, but I'll keep that in mind. I imagine this stuff happens
>more in the higher levels?

It depends. It's slightly less of an issue for you as an elf, since you have autosneak. If you were human, then whenever you enter a room that someone's in they get an echo to that effect. So they can just camp outside your guild with a trigger to assassinate/blackjack/etc. you whenever you walk into the room.

Even as an elf, though, you're not immune. If I'm an assassin with assassinate and I see you sitting in your guild, I might just sit there in town building up stalks, spamming "where" periodically so that I noticed when you start to leave. As soon as you do, I run out onto the road and try to get my assassinate attempt before you get too far away. By teleporting/wording/gating away, you avoid that problem entirely.

Sidenote: I think it's not possible to gate from the inside of a guild. In that case you'd probably want to teleport out, or maybe word if you're not already in your hometown. Or just roll the dice and walk out: 9 times out of 10 nobody's there. It's other 1 time you have to worry about.

>Heh, I already have a bunch of aliases set up, I'll be sure to
>add this one. Can you use teleportation potions when you can't
>use the supplication?

Depends. If you can't use the supplication because you're worldbound, or because you're out of mana, then yes, you can still use a potion. If you can't teleport because you're in a cursed room...then the potion acts exactly as if you'd communed the supplication. Until you get close to perfecting teleport, quaffing a potion has a higher chance of success. Though, a recent change is that potions can fail as well, if the magic veil thingee is too weak (or strong- I forget the terminology).

>I'll do that. I've noticed that, when curing others, sometimes
>it can take quite a few attempts to break it. What determins
>that, the skill of the inflicter, or...?

The level of the curse spell or supplication that's affecting you vs. the level of the person communing remove curse. I had in mind the gold more for stuff like healing yourself when someone makes you bleed really bad, curing disease/poison, etc. It's not as important for you, as a healer, as it is for other classes.

>My biggest issue here is mp--I tried this once, and I tend to
>burn through it quickly and most supplications don't seem to
>last too long. More on this in a bit. I do always keep detect
>invis, good, and evil up, and sometimes protection. The first
>three let me know if I need to run at a glance. Heh.

Definitely keep protection up 24/7. It should last a while. Sanc and protective shield are more expensive, but they get cheaper (and last longer) as your character increases in rank.

>That's good know. Looking through the abilities of a healer,
>it looks like there're some rather nice defenses down the
>road, and some now even. Could you elaborate a little on this,
>though? Never hurts to know one's weaknesses--e.g., what
>circumstances allow for a successful assassination, what does
>worldbind do, and such?

There are helpfiles for these, so feel free to check them out. Briefly, assassinate kills you in a single strike. The assassin needs to "stalk" you first in order to have a decent chance of success. Worldbind is an anti-paladin spell that makes it so you can't commune at all. Dispel (from a shaman) is bad for you because most of your defense comes from supplications, and shaman dispel has the potential to remove all of those.

>My biggest problem when someone attacks is usually that I
>don't have much mp to work with. e.g., if I'm with a group in
>a crypt and a necromancer decides to jump us, my biggest
>problem isn't that I can't undo whatever he does to the party,

That's pretty normal for when you're ranking. One thing you can try doing is not assisting w/ the combat and just sleeping during the battles. Just wake when your party needs to move to the next mob, or when someone needs healing. This will make your mana last longer, but has the disadvantage of preventing you from learning melee-related skills (since you're not involved in the combat).

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT TopicA short introduction. [View all] , Lyeden, Sun 05-Aug-07 09:38 PM
Reply Hi, I'm Rayihn, Rayihn, 06-Aug-07 08:33 PM, #2
Reply RE: Hi, I'm Rayihn, Lyeden, 07-Aug-07 01:30 AM, #6
Reply RE: A short introduction., Isildur, 06-Aug-07 11:58 AM, #1
     Reply RE: A short introduction., Lyeden, 06-Aug-07 08:56 PM, #3
          Reply RE: A short introduction., Isildur, 06-Aug-07 10:01 PM, #4
               Reply RE: A short introduction., Lyeden, 07-Aug-07 01:28 AM, #5
               Reply RE: A short introduction., Daevryn, 07-Aug-07 08:56 AM, #7
               Reply RE: A short introduction., Isildur, 07-Aug-07 03:03 PM #8
                    Reply RE: A short introduction., Lyeden, 07-Aug-07 07:15 PM, #9
                         Reply RE: A short introduction., Isildur, 07-Aug-07 09:06 PM, #10
                              Reply RE: A short introduction., Lyeden, 09-Aug-07 12:57 PM, #15
                                   Reply RE: A short introduction., Isildur, 09-Aug-07 01:52 PM, #18
                                        Reply RE: A short introduction., Lyeden, 09-Aug-07 10:31 PM, #22
                                        Reply RE: A short introduction., Isildur, 10-Aug-07 08:27 AM, #26
                                             Reply RE: A short introduction., Lyeden, 10-Aug-07 09:41 AM, #27
                                                  Reply RE: A short introduction., Isildur, 10-Aug-07 07:30 PM, #32
                                        Reply Interaction, Lyeden, 10-Aug-07 01:52 AM, #24
                                             Reply RE: Interaction, Rayihn, 10-Aug-07 05:43 AM, #25
                                             Reply RE: Interaction, Lyeden, 10-Aug-07 02:26 PM, #28
                                                  Reply RE: Interaction, Rodriguez, 10-Aug-07 03:38 PM, #29
                                                       Reply RE: Interaction, Lyeden, 10-Aug-07 04:01 PM, #30
                                             Reply RE: Interaction, Daevryn, 10-Aug-07 04:09 PM, #31
               Reply On gating, DurNominator, 08-Aug-07 03:17 PM, #11
                    Reply RE: On gating, Daevryn, 08-Aug-07 04:04 PM, #12
                    Reply RE: On gating, Isildur, 08-Aug-07 05:08 PM, #13
                         Reply RE: On gating, Eskelian, 09-Aug-07 02:50 PM, #19
                              Reply RE: On gating, Daevryn, 09-Aug-07 02:56 PM, #20
                                   Reply RE: On gating, Isildur, 09-Aug-07 03:16 PM, #21
                                        Reply RE: On gating, Lyeden, 09-Aug-07 10:32 PM, #23
                    Reply RE: On gating, Lyeden, 09-Aug-07 01:01 PM, #14
                         Reply RE: On gating, Isildur, 09-Aug-07 01:39 PM, #16
                         Reply RE: On gating, Daevryn, 09-Aug-07 01:49 PM, #17
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #1226 Previous topic | Next topic