Subject: "Nostalgia + other things." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #1075
Show all folders

OdrirgSun 15-Apr-07 12:04 PM
Member since 16th Oct 2004
431 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1083, "Nostalgia + other things."

Most 12-16 year olds (the ages when most of us geeks were really into that stuff) aren't the worlds greatest literary critics.

You have to understand, those books were *TARGETED* at mainly that audience.

Great plot and character development is completely lost on 99.9% of human beings at that age.

Ask a 14 year old why "The Usual Suspects" is such a great film. And you won't get much response about plot twists, acting, cinematography, editing, the use of sound and music to heighten and release tension....you will probably get "Because there are guns and lots of cuss words", if you don't get "It was boring and too slow".

And, since those of us geeks and nerds who read them at those ages REALLY enjoyed them (mostly I think because at that age our imaginations are beyond measure off the scale, which makes up for *alot* in an average plot-line)...that warm glow that we associate with that memory carries over into adult-hood.

DON'T RUIN MY WARM FUZZIES MAN! WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT! IT WAS THE GREATEST!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DIDN'T READ THIS POST....I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!! LALALALALALALALALALALALAL I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!!!!!!!

heh.

That all being said. I myself have never read that series. I was too busy with Tolkein, and then Niven and Asimov and other hard sci-fi....then trying to write my own tolkien-rip-off. I had alot of friends that were into it though.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicWhy do people love Salvatore? [View all] , Valkenar, Fri 13-Apr-07 09:30 AM
Reply RE: Why do people love Salvatore?, incognito, 16-Jul-07 04:25 PM, #14
Reply It was good for early high school., Nivek1, 16-Jul-07 04:01 PM, #13
Reply Not everyone's looking for Dostoyevsky-esque depth. n/t, Eskelian, 20-May-07 11:50 PM, #9
Reply Nostalgia + other things., Odrirg, 15-Apr-07 12:04 PM #7
Reply RE: Why do people love Salvatore?, Daevryn, 13-Apr-07 11:52 AM, #2
Reply Re: Knight Rider and similar canon:, Valguarnera, 13-Apr-07 12:33 PM, #3
     Reply RE: Re: Knight Rider and similar canon:, Isildur, 13-Apr-07 06:44 PM, #4
     Reply They cancelled Rome?!!?!?!?, Cyradia, 13-Apr-07 09:28 PM, #5
     Reply RE: Re: Knight Rider and similar canon:, Java, 14-Apr-07 08:19 PM, #6
     Reply RE: Re: Knight Rider and similar canon:, Torak, 22-Apr-07 04:12 PM, #8
     Reply Just in case you missed Mr.T's latest ad..., GinGa, 28-May-07 06:13 PM, #10
     Reply That's where Carnivale went... now I'm sad...nt, Saith, 10-Jul-07 08:55 PM, #11
          Reply Move to John From Cincinnati, Valguarnera, 11-Jul-07 07:18 AM, #12
Reply It's good...., Tac, 13-Apr-07 11:28 AM, #1
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #1075 Previous topic | Next topic