Subject: "heh" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #22781
Show all folders

permanewbieTue 16-Dec-03 06:52 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
349 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22807, "heh"

Kudos for sticking to your guns, like others said.

But. ....

It was clear you were working off of a defenition of "respect" that somewhat included only one line... "Truth = respect".

That's all fine and dandy. If that is your role...you stuck within that role very well....and you have a right to make whatever role you want.

My only beef...is how you took it ooc.

You refused to acknowledge that for the VAST majority of people...the defenition of "showing respect" is a bit more complex than the way your character viewed it. Many people include an element of "tact" or the idea of "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything" in the idea of respect.

What I think you refused to acknowledge in your post on that other forum....was that while it was OK for your character to have an "other than normal" definition of respect and thus act accordingly....it SHOULD have been OK for other characters to have a defenition of respect that was more in line with the accepted defenition....and for them to act accordingly.

Just because your role and your character's defenition of respect was INTERNALLY consistent. That does not mean all other characters need to bow down to that defenition and use it as their own.

It's obvious Sabiene and the retired commander (the characters)had different defenitions of respect than your character did.

So, while you acted internally consistent, that did not meant your internal consistency was consistent with THEIR ideas of what respect meant.

And because Sabiene is an Imm of the Village....it is that characters RIGHT to define respect how Sabiene thinks respect should be defined. She should not be forced to use YOUR version of respect.

I see this situation as similar to the "What is good, and what is evil" debate.

The imms have said that good and evil in Thera are not just ideas...but can be seen as absolutes...

That way....sure...you can play someone who THINKS they are doing good .....but if what they think is doing good includes murdering babies and raping cows....their alignment won't stay "good" for long...and he will be turned evil (or at least neutral).

It's fine for that character to BELIEVE he is doing the good thing. But a game such as this needs less malleable definitions for ideas such as good and evil (and respect) than if every single characters INTERNAL definitions were all seen as universally valid.

"Death awaits ya all, wit nasteh big pointeh teeth!"

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT Topic(####ed Over)[None] Correllia the Weaponsmistress, Fool... [View all] , Correllia (Guest), Sun 21-Dec-03 11:39 AM
Reply RE: (####ed Over)[None] Correllia the Weaponsmistress, ..., Sabiene, 17-Dec-03 06:40 PM, #16
Reply Why was my post deleted? n/t, Correllia (Guest), 20-Dec-03 11:53 AM, #17
     Reply Flame-y., Valguarnera, 20-Dec-03 03:26 PM, #18
          Reply Uh, you are a better reader than that., Correllia (Guest), 20-Dec-03 04:05 PM, #20
               Reply RE: My reading skills., Valguarnera, 20-Dec-03 09:25 PM, #19
               Reply Should have just send an email, Narissa, 21-Dec-03 12:27 AM, #21
Reply After reading the log, Cathoir, 17-Dec-03 04:51 PM, #15
Reply Goodbye, Oblain (Guest), 16-Dec-03 10:05 PM, #13
Reply RE: (####ed Over)[None] Correllia the Weaponsmistress, ..., Kalageadon, 16-Dec-03 07:20 PM, #12
Reply heh, permanewbie, 16-Dec-03 06:52 PM #11
Reply I liked what little I saw, Juktar (Guest), 16-Dec-03 05:40 PM, #9
Reply I am sorry I forgot you., Correllia (Guest), 16-Dec-03 05:49 PM, #10
Reply My view., Krivohan, 16-Dec-03 03:20 PM, #7
Reply RE: (####ed Over)[None] Correllia the Weaponsmistress, ..., Fahnrore, 16-Dec-03 03:53 AM, #4
Reply RE: (####ed Over)[None] Correllia the Weaponsmistress, ..., Sardinthal (Guest), 16-Dec-03 03:11 AM, #3
Reply Thank you., Correllia (Guest), 16-Dec-03 02:03 PM, #5
Reply RE: (####ed Over)[None] Correllia the Weaponsmistress, ..., Thatguy, 16-Dec-03 01:07 AM, #2
Reply RE: (####ed Over)[None] Correllia the Weaponsmistress, ..., Correllia (Guest), 16-Dec-03 02:06 PM, #6
Reply RE: (####ed Over)[None] Correllia the Weaponsmistress, ..., Riathiliano (Guest), 15-Dec-03 11:28 PM, #1
     Reply RE: (####ed Over)[None] Correllia the Weaponsmistress, ..., Sharidum (Guest), 16-Dec-03 03:31 PM, #8
          Reply RE: (####ed Over)[None] Correllia the Weaponsmistress, ..., Unamed (Guest), 16-Dec-03 10:31 PM, #14
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #22781 Previous topic | Next topic