Subject: "A helpful suggestion, or a waste of finger energy." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #17107
Show all folders

ZepachuThu 24-Apr-03 10:12 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
223 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#17130, "A helpful suggestion, or a waste of finger energy."
Edited on Thu 24-Apr-03 10:16 AM

Perhaps for the general man this can be considered Zepachu's Guide To Forum Etiquette And How To Avoid it Influencing Your Current Character, Re: Carrion Fields

-----

I hope this is taken as a helpful suggestion, Thornarcrull, rather than a waste of my finger energy.

I learned a very long time ago when I first started frequenting these forums that to post with your current character's name is taking a big risk. Even as Zekasiq just recently when people died and mentioned me in their Goodbye notes I was apprehensive about replying with even a simple "Good job." or anything.

No matter how much the IMMs stress it, and no matter how hard people try to separate, it is absolutely impossible for your words on here to be completely disregarded once someone logs on their current character and is interacting with you.

We all know that the characters we interact with are, generally, different than the players themselves. That's why it's called roleplaying. So, on some level, if you see a cheery post on here from an evil bastard in the game, you understand that the two are separate, and hopefully don't use anything they post here against them in-game.

If you're an arrogant son-of-a-bitch in game and then you come and post a cheerful message on here, it will be remembered. If you're an arrogant son-of-a-bitch in game and then you come and post an arrogant son-of-a-bitchy message on here, people will think that both your character and you as a player are an arrogant son-of-a-bitch and that is a major turnoff for most.

Hell, even the IMMs go through this. I see posts from Zulg on the bug board or gameplay chewing someone up and I'm like... "Wow, what a mean hysterical makes-me-laugh-hard-consistently jerk." Then I notice he watches the same popular weekly publication that I do, and I say to myself, "Hey. That boy ain't half-bad." Because I know 'of some of his interests' OOC should I expect to be able to create a human shapeshifter named Trogdor who follows him and that he'll then code in a perma-almost-dragon form for me? No, but with every post he makes, the chances of people 'thinking' about them when they interact with him in game become greater. It's worse as a player. Much worse.

I don't know you personally, nor do I care to. At this point I'd like to reply to your Lettered list rebuttal to Valguarnera.

He was simply pointing out why your message was deleted. He could have just deleted it without any explanation. Whether or not you thought it was a flame is irrelevant.

So now, onto the analysis, shall we!

"A. Others doing the same exactly (you'll see)."

I still search for a meaning of the "you'll see." Perhaps it was you sitting in front of your computer, shaking your fist at the monitor, and in a low whisper saying "you'll see" because now you're going to contact anyone you know to come here and flame, thereby supporting your assertion that "Others doing the same exactly." Or, perhaps you are saying "you'll see" because you are disguising an insult regarding Valguarnera's observational skills and are suggesting He goes and Sees, because he's oblivious now.

Whatever the case may be, something about your post was worthy of being declared as a flame.

If you think someone else is posting an inappropriate message, contact the IMMs, maybe Valguarnera himself, and report it. Ultimately, though, realize that you are not the authority here on what can and cannot stay. They are. It's their forums, and they try their best to keep it clean and free of the BS of everyday life. Next.

"B. I wrote constructive recomendation: don't annoy, don't be standart, and the rest (i.e. don't be worthless)."

If I walked up to you on the street and said, "Yo man. Don't be so standard. Don't annoy. Don't be worthless." You would likely be quite upset. Also, I'm unsure if you know the meaning of constructive criticism.

To criticize someone is to do what I just mentioned. To give them constructive criticism is to say... "Yo man, don't be annoying... Like that time when you ____ and here's how you could have handled it differently." Constructive. Constructive. Hey, this message right now is CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Me replying and calling you a "jackass" would be an example of plain ol' CRITICISM. Get it?

"C. Bite me if I tried to flame! I didn't, honestly."

Are you sure you don't have a chemical imbalance, of sorts? Firstly, if YOU *KNOW* YOU did NOT flame... why tell Valguarnera to bite you? You're essentially saying, "Valguarnera, if you think I flamed, BITE ME!" What does that accomplish?

Oh, and, to tell you the truth... I rarely believe people when they use phrases like "honestly" and then refer to whatever they are referring to.

"D. I love you too."

This only serves as a means to egg Him on. A common playground tactic, of sorts. Valguarnera deleted your post. He wasn't conveying to you that he loved you.

"E. "

Again, only serves as yet another way for you to have your fingers run along the keys of the keyboard because you really like rambling on.

I, on the other hand, would have no clue about that.

(That's what we call 'sarcasm.')

At any rate. I hope this wasn't wasted. Even now, I want to delete this, because I know you won't take any of it as constructive criticism (you'll see) and you'll just disregard it. For a minute though, Thornarcrull, step back and think about it.

Is everyone else wrong, and you're the right one? Or are you just being incredibly arrogant and stubborn? These are questions you need to answer for yourself, and it is my hope that my time spent here wasn't a complete waste.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicThornarcrull: Deleted post. [View all] , Valguarnera, Thu 24-Apr-03 01:22 PM
Reply RE: Thornarcrull: Deleted post., Thornarcrull (Guest), 23-Apr-03 04:08 PM, #2
     Reply (The character didn't delete. T was replying on anothe..., Valguarnera, 23-Apr-03 06:47 PM, #1
     Reply Damnit man don't toy with my emotions like that! n/t, Vlad (Guest), 25-Apr-03 01:19 PM, #5
     Reply A helpful suggestion, or a waste of finger energy., Zepachu, 24-Apr-03 10:16 AM #3
     Reply a whole book! :), Thornarcrull (Guest), 29-Apr-03 02:31 AM, #6
          Reply Right., Zepachu, 29-Apr-03 11:01 AM, #7
               Reply RE: Right., Quislet, 30-Apr-03 03:21 AM, #8
     Reply it comes across as flaming, Daurwyn (Guest), 23-Apr-03 05:19 PM, #4
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #17107 Previous topic | Next topic