Subject: "Longwinded Good-bye Post" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #145697
Show all folders

AradynFri 01-Dec-23 08:45 PM
Member since 11th Feb 2007
30 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#145702, "Longwinded Good-bye Post"

It almost seems like no one does good-bye forum posts anymore. But all you lovely people deserve one! The first part is just a ramble, and I’ll mark proper goodbyes afterwards.

The original idea for Damil was for a dolphin souled human(a human possessed by a dolphin spirit, essentially), but since I couldn’t guarantee I’d get a dolphin form in the shifter lottery, I ended up making something a lot more generic. I did keep some of that “dolphin-like” personality. The character wanted to be the best seafood chef, with some focus on running events, exploration and just generally vibing with folks. Damil was very interested in what made people tick while being an emotional puddle himself.

While I thought I had a fun idea, the first half of this character’s life was painful. Eralastorn and Merthoc were cool, but often times I was just alone in the cabal online. It felt like I was an uncaballed character – which is an experience I find alienating. But I did make a few friends, though when Celedyl deleted I was very close to pulling the plug then. It would have been the last straw. However around this time I ate those grapes, and while it wasn’t planned, my first thought was: Maybe I could do something with this.

A little more feminine, stronger emotions and more focus on creating actual hooks for people. Among those hooks was to have a crush on Zicdorgle in a sort of, traumatized girl falls for a bad boy and she thinks she “can totally fix him” way. It wasn’t meant to be a huge thing, but the RP that ensued from it became character defining for both characters. He was receptive to interactions and our characters just…worked. And this idea saved my character. It then opened up a lot of other good things too! I ran more events, made loads more friends, encouraged others in their RP goals, got lots of kudos, etc.

At the end of more than six hundred hours, I can truly say it was worth suffering through the first half just to see what was on the other side. But it was a risk, since if my character died at 400 hours(for whatever reason), I would have said it wasn’t worth it. Not sure if there is a moral in there or not.

PROPER GOOD BYES

I have a terrible memory. I am not going to remember you all. I’ll reply to posts. But as a generic: If you interacted with me, or went to my events, or otherwise had some sort of direct influence in my character’s life, you were cool! The IC population of the MUD is overall a classy bunch.

Heralds –

Eralastorn – Always fun to just talk with, when you were around. Appreciated going on some exploration trips with you! And thanks for going over the riddles for my event, though I learned you were too smart!

Merthoc – Good to have you around for our verbal conflicts or just hanging out. Damil initially thought they were kindred spirits(both empty) but quickly realized how wrong he was. He wasn’t the empty one. In a terrible twist, you ended up con dying on my RL birthday.

Pititti – I am glad I was able to help you escape the Grinning Skulls, and I got to kidnap you! So much effort in all those decorations! I should have paid more attention to the wedding ones. Bit sad I’ll probably miss your next flurry of activity, but keep it up anyway! It makes things colorful.

Zicdorgle – Hard to know where to begin with this. I love slow development with deep personal connections of all kinds. And Zic was ultimately Damil’s “source of feeling.” No Zic. No feeling. It was that important. And outside that, you did quite a lot as a Herald(or a pretend Herald), with the Issues and running events, and now painting! I really did like that. An unique trajectory in this character.

Gherod, Han, Winya, Theo, etc. I didn’t interact with the rest of the Heralds as much as I would like, but I am glad for all of them anyway! Good talks with Winya, Appreciate you showing me a few new tricks, Gherod and so on.

Others:

Vartin – Turns out you freaking out about my near death experience was a false alarm – the age gear never even worked in form. You made an excellent pawn in my Slaughterhouse event even though I am pretty sure I press-ganged you into it. Liked having our debates, and being your bartender where you can tell me all! Damil did want to help Vartin be more content.

Iskrith – Damil thought about kidnapping you like she kidnapped Pititti! Very sad and evil saurian, that Damil just thought as a confused and naïve child. And she could be the best mother! But she didn’t have time for that. I hope you aren’t too heartbroken.

Yfetris – I realize what you were talking about when I got you killed. I think I tried to warn you, and once that happened, it was probably you or me(for reasons I shouldn’t get into) and I just made sure it was you. I felt a little bad. And yes, you looked pretty hurt. Still, fun times for the little bit of exploration! Glad you held on to that orb. Also appreciated that you went out of your way to help me with -age gear, though that necklace was just a bit too much for her.

Celedyl and Mysti. I know two different characters, but same player. Mysti nudged Damil to Rarywey, so that was a pretty big deal, and Celedyl was probably the first person Damil thought “oh this might be a friend.” Also a big deal! He was mad about Celedyl leaving, and it didn’t help Vethi was whispering in his ears about how elves could never value a human.

Vethi was cool too! Pretty funny writing relationship advice to him.

Viera – thanks for being my “master.” It wasn’t really my intention, since I was more just looking for basic knowledge to work with on the Veil, but Damil wasn’t going to say no to a scary fire giant. Besides, he thought it could give him a chance to learn about what those untrustworthy Scions were up to!

So many others! I will never be done if I keep going! Suliyre and probably other Imperials! Atrael, Remnli(thanks for being a cool officiate), Iroephyne, Tennexa! Croder! All my adoring fans in the Villagers! Skarrmak!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Topic(AGE DEATH) [HERALD] Damil Fischer the Breathless Rumin... [View all] , Death_Angel, Fri 01-Dec-23 01:05 AM
Reply RE: (AGE DEATH) [HERALD] Damil Fischer the Breathless R..., ZeoShifter, 14-Dec-23 04:15 PM, #6
Reply This is your last one., Ishuli, 14-Dec-23 04:33 PM, #7
     Reply RE: This is your last one., ZeoShifter, 14-Dec-23 09:18 PM, #8
          Reply RE: This is your last one., ZeoShifter, 14-Dec-23 09:18 PM, #9
               Reply RE: This is your last one., Ishuli, 14-Dec-23 09:53 PM, #10
                    Reply RE: This is your last one., Arjaby, 15-Dec-23 02:35 PM, #11
Reply Longwinded Good-bye Post, Aradyn, 01-Dec-23 08:45 PM #2
Reply RE: Longwinded Good-bye Post, RaryweyImm, 01-Dec-23 09:45 PM, #3
Reply Croder, Rogue, 04-Dec-23 11:37 AM, #4
Reply RE: Longwinded Good-bye Post, Remnli Renqe, Efficient Officiant (Anonymous), 12-Dec-23 10:38 AM, #5
Reply I miss you already, Pititti (Anonymous), 01-Dec-23 04:26 PM, #1
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #145697 Previous topic | Next topic