Subject: "How to Entropy" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #135735
Show all folders

RahsaelTue 04-Dec-18 02:36 AM
Member since 05th May 2017
232 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#135741, "How to Entropy"
Edited on Tue 04-Dec-18 02:37 AM

These are all great ideas.

I think people overthink Entropy and make it so much more complicated than it is, to the point that I almost have to explain what it isn't.

If anyone reading this rolls something for Entropy, keep in mind that being chaotic or being in Entropy is actually not very different from any other character. You must:

-Have an interesting personality.
-Have a goal that actually makes sense.
-I repeat: HAVE A GOAL THAT MAKES SENSE! (This is where the vast majority fail)

So, let's take the example of a mad scientist.

A mad scientist isn't going to be all like, "BING BONG! I AM GOING TO RESEARCH HOW TO TURN MY HEAD INTO A MUSHROOM AND MY FEET INTO KITTIES!"

Dr. Frankenstein, the archetypal mad scientist, didn't want to do something inane. He wanted to create life from death - which is a completely understandable goal that is only insane in its vanity, its ambition, and its taboo-ness.

So here's where an Entropy character is different:
You always do what your character WANTS to do.

Not what the character is supposed to do or sworn to do or is asked to do or even agrees to do. This will keep everyone else guessing about what you'll do next. Go ahead: Make all kinds of promises or agreements and break them whenever you feel like it. Raid or defend whoever or whatever you want, so long as it feels right for you at that moment. There is no difference in your eyes between the worth of the Emperor and that of a peasant child.

You don't have to be blind to the fact that everyone else reveres cabal leaders over others; in fact, you can play with that. Go bow before Bloodoaths and order around the Emperor (not because you're crazy, but to prove a point).

The Magic part is essentially that you don't respect any restrictions imposed upon magical power or study (except for enslavement). Nexus liked a thin Veil. Entropy is cool with wrecking the Veil and causing catastrophe, because magic oughta do what magic wants to do.

I thought Ikno did an amazing job in part, and an awful job in part. He had a really great role (won a RC, even!) and started doing some interesting notes (I REALLY liked the intent of the notes; the execution was another matter entirely). The problem was that he went a little too overboard on the wild eccentricity and didn't have enough of a personal goal to keep the character grounded.

I hope this helps.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT Topic(RAGE DELETE) [ENTROPY] Ikno the High Sorceress of the ... [View all] , Death_Angel, Mon 03-Dec-18 06:28 PM
Reply PSA: Current and future Entropy chars., Daphedee, 03-Dec-18 07:06 PM, #1
     Reply RE: PSA: Current and future Entropy chars., Rahsael, 03-Dec-18 11:02 PM, #2
     Reply I always wanted to try an Entropist, but never really k..., k-b, 03-Dec-18 11:43 PM, #3
     Reply Some Entropic role prompts, Reeking_Revolutionary_ (Anonymous), 04-Dec-18 01:32 AM, #5
          Reply How to Entropy, Rahsael, 04-Dec-18 02:37 AM #6
               Reply RE: How to Entropy, saam (Anonymous), 04-Dec-18 05:04 AM, #8
               Reply RE: How to Entropy, Patrisaurus, 04-Dec-18 11:09 AM, #12
               Reply Thank you. I think this does help. nt, k-b, 04-Dec-18 11:57 AM, #14
               Reply I don't see it., Java, 04-Dec-18 01:47 PM, #17
                    Reply RE: I don't see it., _Reeking_Revolutionary_ (Anonymous), 04-Dec-18 02:50 PM, #20
                         Reply Let's move this to Gameplay..., Rahsael, 04-Dec-18 03:01 PM, #21
                         Reply I think you're just being argumentative here., Java, 04-Dec-18 03:21 PM, #23
     Reply Couple things on that , TJHuron, 04-Dec-18 12:58 AM, #4
     Reply Yeah but, Daphedee, 04-Dec-18 07:39 AM, #9
          Reply RE: Pico, Jormyr, 04-Dec-18 02:46 PM, #19
     Reply RE: PSA: Current and future Entropy chars., galkabear, 04-Dec-18 04:54 AM, #7
          Reply I feel like you're trying to make a point, but I have n..., SPN, 04-Dec-18 10:50 AM, #11
               Reply RE: I feel like you're trying to make a point, but I ha..., saam (Anonymous), 04-Dec-18 01:56 PM, #18
     Reply RE: PSA: Current and future Entropy chars., Thaedan (Anonymous), 04-Dec-18 08:40 AM, #10
          Reply Joker from Batman, k-b, 04-Dec-18 11:56 AM, #13
          Reply RE: Joker from Batman, Thaedan (Anonymous), 04-Dec-18 12:31 PM, #15
               Reply RE: Joker from Batman, Patrisaurus, 04-Dec-18 01:31 PM, #16
          Reply Chaotic people, xyfa, 04-Dec-18 03:02 PM, #22
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #135735 Previous topic | Next topic