Subject: "Couple thoughts (my goodbyes as you call them are on Dio's)." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #129611
Show all folders

TMNSThu 17-Nov-16 04:19 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#129627, "Couple thoughts (my goodbyes as you call them are on Dio's)."
Edited on Thu 17-Nov-16 04:21 PM

1) CF still has amazing roleplayers and PKers. No one broke RP ever (though I had to quit out to keep it together a couple times), most people were relatively classy in all aspects, etc etc

2a) My goal was to get the playerbase excited about CF, and to try and break the "Team Evil" bandwagon that has existed the last 2 years +. Hence, posting a ton of logs and not quitting out when dealing with #### odds. I'd like to think I succeeded somewhat in that effort.

2b) Always been a proponent of not logging out when range is bad because it promotes fair-weather habits, not to mention it can become "a snowball rolling down the hill" affect. If you stay logged on who else might be like "#### self, I got one ally...let's see how this goes and stay logged on" and next thing you know that 7 on 1 became a 6 on 4 and you can accomplish things.

3) I was somewhat in-between jobs, so I put a ton of time in. Most of these 168 hours were in what, 17 days? Not my normal playstyle. Probably had more to do with the burnout than anything else to be honest.

4a) I don't feel like enough people challenge themselves. ####, I'm a great example of this. Roleplaying a dwarf warrior is pretty easy for me. I watch some Scottish films, I think "What if you were a foot shorter with a longer beard" and I try to act like a slightly racist hero That said, dwarf warrior has/is/will never be a power combo.

4b) Dwarf warriors are incredibly interesting to play, because the only thing they do well is take up damage and dish out damage (and the second one only if you gear correctly). I stand by my comment that they are a worse tank than an orc, because between elf/dwarf blood + slave, they have so many more options to regain health/tank. I don't know the solution, really. But 25 CON does not make up for the low int/wis/dex and relatively low str.

5) Edge point nerf makes sense in a vacuum, unfortunately I noticed a lot of my "peers" were relatively long-lived characters, so I felt a lot like I was dropped into a situation where I was already slightly behind the eight-ball. When you can only choose 3 edges and someone you're fighting has 13, you're always going to be fighting an uphill battle. Not sure what the solution is to that, because obviously you don't want to take something a character has already rightfully earned.

6) I feel like a lot of players take the path of least resistance, which makes sense but often leaves a sour taste in my mouth. That being said, I've always been the type to say "Do what makes you happy", so I don't know the solution to this problem.

7) I feel like lower player count numbers has allowed certain class/race/cabal combos to basically "have their run of the place", and I'm not sure what the solution is. To be honest, I've been beating the "Assassins are OP" drum for years. I played a lowbie one a while back and the thing that really shocked me was how many places they can hide. Basically all non-desert/non-water areas. I think that's their greatest attribute. Because choosing the terms of an engagement is probably the most powerful PK indicator IMHO. I disagree with other things, but I feel like that's the simplest solution, nerf their hiding ability in places like Mountains/Hills/etc.

8) I made a lot of PK mistakes due to not having a targetting system/aliases etc. I feel like I'm playing a different game when I misspell cranial etc, not that that is necessarily a bad thing. Technology is the future, I'm just a lazy dinosaur

9) End of the Age quest: Love the idea, love that Scarab gives a #### enough to quest mob/interact/etc, hated how it actually played out. That ring was straight #### The "coming end" meant that a seemingly coordinated login strategy by certain characters left me consistently outgunned and over-matched. It wasn't that they had odds, it was the fact they were decked to the #### synergistic classes that could cover 99% of the ways I had a chance against them. It becomes frustrating OOC to deal with that. I enjoy fighting 50/50 battles, I even get my adrenaline from 20/80 battles, but 1/99 are just brutal and soul-crushing to try and deal with. That's mostly on me though.

10a) Tried to spend 99% of my time "doing things" and I mostly succeeded, I believe I created a lot of "PK Chaos" simply by being on and banging my head on the brick wall as Ignolmeer said. However, I spent waaaaay too much time prepping/gathering gold and preps for my liking. It's the same complaint that ended my last 3 warrior deaththreads, that the never-ending prep/gold grind just gets old. On one hand, I don't need to do it (I don't), and on the other hand it raises a character's survivability and deathfulness considerable, so you'd be stupid NOT to do it.

10b) Lot of new stuff I did not know about that I discovered with this character (and I'm not just talking about learning how to get the mark, which I did too). Lot of characters willing to share IC CF knowledge. Of course, most of the time I was sharing something back, but still. That's a good sign.

11) Tried to gear up and "make time for" as many lowbies as I could. "Kids are the future" and all that. Bron liked to say "Kent expec' dem ter succeed if'n dey nah 'ave tha' right tools"...and I believe that. It doesn't necessarily mean the Fort Gear-Train needs to be in action at all times (you'd need numbers for that too heh), just means that hey, that mob you killed for gold might have something a lowbie pledge might need.

All in all, a very fun and very frustrating experience in the end. I likely would not have deleted had I just relaxed for a week or so, played shorter logins/less hours in the day, etc. But hell, I rolled the character to be a presence, so if I'm not going to be a presence what the #### am I doing and why I am playing?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Topic(RAGE DELETE) [FORTRESS] Brondalorm Brightflame the Leg... [View all] , Death_Angel, Thu 17-Nov-16 04:24 AM
Reply Kleiran promised himself he wouldn't cry..., Kleiran (Anonymous), 17-Nov-16 07:45 AM, #1
Reply RE: (RAGE DELETE) [FORTRESS] Brondalorm Brightflame the..., Garonav (Anonymous), 17-Nov-16 07:53 AM, #2
Reply Thought on BB, Ignolmeer, 17-Nov-16 03:07 PM, #3
Reply Couple thoughts (my goodbyes as you call them are on Di..., TMNS, 17-Nov-16 04:21 PM #4
Reply You were one of the reasons I tried to stick it out :), TMNS, 17-Nov-16 04:35 PM, #5
Reply I'm glad you're still sticking it out!, TMNS, 17-Nov-16 04:37 PM, #6
Reply Thanks for the kind words!, TMNS, 17-Nov-16 04:41 PM, #7
Reply I was sooo looking forward to running around at hero wi..., Sephira (Anonymous), 18-Nov-16 02:31 AM, #8
Reply A flame that burned hot and fast..., Aiwin (Anonymous), 18-Nov-16 09:46 PM, #9
Reply Brondalorm was great too., Arr (Anonymous), 19-Nov-16 04:27 PM, #10
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #129611 Previous topic | Next topic