Subject: "A Few Final Thoughts" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #110886
Show all folders

Salyeris (Anonymous)Thu 13-Sep-12 07:27 AM
Charter member
#110901, "A Few Final Thoughts"

On the Character:
Ultimately I rolled the character to see if i could make a battle character that was highly effective against all mages. I think I managed to hold my own against most of them, with a few notable exceptions like the chancellor and Nabigah completely shredded me and others like we were nothing. An overwhelming number of my deaths came to a few people (I'll mention them on goodbyes) But I'll say, village bard (unless you go arial) is so vuln-gang via trip & bash that I thought I would con die in a few hundred hours at most. Ultimately that was the big weakness of the char, a bard scout just can't be a balls out strike anything char, cause they just lose pathetically. Turned out I did very well in solo fights, but in any 2 v. 1 I would almost always die when people alternated lag commands unless evade saved me. Just how it goes, but it is certainly frustrating to just watch fights go by and know you really can't do anything in the fight but die. That's the price you pay for going Battle though, and so even if I said anything to a char, really, I don't expect people to not do it. Salyeris was a lot harder to fight for people if they tried alone I feel like and I ended up having 100s of awesome fights with people that got my heart pounding.

On the Rites and Drillmasters:
I was shocked I got named actually, and I actually only entered them because I heard they are awesome and I just wanted to see them. (this is my second villager- my first got wiped during the purge) Thror did an amazing job running them and it was every bit as fun as I hoped. I think anyone who plays CF should experience them once, so I am glad I finally got to. I envisioned things going slightly differently, and had no idea at the time I was named I would end up naming four Drillmasters in my time as Commander. I didn't name Xazzax for strict RP reasons and so Iepnier was my DM (Thror gave me a choice, Xazzax or Iepnier, for DM during the Rites- if I could have selected anyone it would have been Mauz actually) when he died, I passed over Xazzax again for Caitlyan- and it was great having Caitlyan as a DM and running around with a Twist mortal for the first time was genuinely awesome. Kelarin and Abiritha were also RP driven choices, Abiritha being basically the culmination of Salyeris's own acknowlement of what she was- more drow than wood elf because of what the toils of life, war and her past had done to her. She hated drow initially, and ultimately she was almost one of them. I just suck at Drow RP though, so I probably was not always getting that across enough, but if she seemed harsher later on, that's why.

On being Commander:
I looked to some past chars I really respected to inform how to run the cabal (cause I had no clue) in regards to other cabals and enemies. Woldrun, Borkahd, Knacnar and Akedeh were all recent exemplary villagers that I saw in my years of CF. So I would think, what would they do?. As I saw it, it's pretty simple. Kill mages. Kill scions. Kill Islanders. Akedeh had a very unique take on things, and I did not simply want to keep them going. Salyeris did not hate magic like most Battleragers after all and so killing a bunch of fort people on account of Eachainn just did not make sense to her, especially since killing Eachainn was still highly unlikely to occur and we'd just end up spam killing fort warriors and such. My view was the rest of Thera is not worth a battlerager focusing on. However, if a mage was hiding in a cabal, the villagers could go in and kill them, they simply could not place items with the destructor. (Caitlyan and I really sort of abused the tribunal mages with this for a while- good times) I declared war on empire my first day saying I would end it if Eleagra was removed because she was always raiding the village. She was, and that was the end of the war, and they formed their basic perma group and killed the crap out of me for it. Later on lots of people wanted a war with empire, but I just saw empire as having low numbers and really not a lot of mages. If imperials bothered you and you could not handle yourself as a Battlerager, that was your problem, but I was not going to declare war over it. I might have started another war when Cabakso was named, but I knew I was so close to dying that I figured that would be something for the next Commander to decide.

I also never burned one person's hut, there were a few I should have, but that's the past so need to go into that here. It is just because it is not my style to do that to people, not that these chars did not deserve it. That was why I always thought I was too soft to be commander, because basically my OOC ideas kept me from doing the right thing IC in regards to cabal booting. If I had any major flaw as a Commander in regards to handling the battleragers, that was it.

I set up a policy that battleragers needed to get ten mage kills total before their 31st title (If any asked for more time I gave it to them though) for one reason. At one point I looked and saw that pretty much no villager had any mage kills outside of myself. People joined, ranked, and then just died all the time. The policy was meant to get people hunting more and less concerned with powering to hero. I figured they should get used to PKing with their char for a bit before rushing to hero. I'm sorry to any mages if any battlerager multi-killed people or such in an effort to meet the goal, but I do think the policy has paid off as at my last look the village had more people than I can count that had a decent amount of mage kills.

Lastly, lots of Battleragers and enemies bitched to me about things I did, or that our enemies did to them, or that we did to them and my response was always pretty much What do you expect, you're a Battlerager, suck it up and keep going. I tried to dissuade ganging outside of raids & defenses, but I didn't think one instance was the end of the world either. Parity and all that is for a Battlerager to use to measure their own worth, it is not a tool for our enemies to use against us. As the char became really old, grizzled, and slightly evil (I took an align hit I believe) she became more like a drow- which was sort of intentional given her role. Generally speaking though, I tried to be polite and listen to anyone who had anything to say to me though and I hope I didn't let anyone down there. It's tiring work being Commander- if only for the amount of people you get talking to you about things and sometimes I just got burned out or flat out missed people telling me things.

On Char perks
I don't think I got many complaints about me being over rewarded or anything. I also feel like not a lot of people really feared me, which worked out well for me since people came to me for fights more often than I went to them. However, characters that age to gain perks just through edges and stuff, and so you can imagine I had a few by the end (28 edges I think I died with, non imm-given that I recall- I ended up taking some just because I wanted to see what they did), and that brings a lot of advantages compared to someone that is 100 hours. I did win an RC, for which I got Battlecry (works just like warcry with the same timer- except it can be done out of combat and can deafen anything in the room (even out of pk people which I bug boarded) for a 0 hour tick) and 2 con. I was also given a custom instrument and got a tattoo- even though this char was not a priest or even a direct follower. Neltouda and Salyeris just hit it off RP wise and the natural progression led to those things. I'll mention more in goodbyes on that. I think that was it in terms of perks, which, over 990 hours, is really not all that much. I was happy for everything I got though, and personally I would have been happy with just the 2 con for the RC win- battlecry was just a little perk

I'm sure there is more I could write, and I'll answer any questions or such, but I'm not going to engage in any debates about village practices or policies here since the village is a cabal that lots of people have very differing views on. I'll just say I led the village as I thought it should be led and tried my best to make the game more enjoyable for friends and enemies alike.

I imagine I died more with this char than I have any other too, which was nice. People were generally all class with me and treated my char with a degree of respect I was surprised to find, and I tried to show them the same to people, even if there were a few who really got under my skin at times.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT Topic(AGE DEATH) [BATTLE] Salyeris Nimkerta the Strummer of ... [View all] , Death_Angel, Wed 12-Sep-12 10:40 PM
Reply As Llonevia, CD, 16-Sep-12 04:32 PM, #59
Reply RE: As Llonevia, lasentia, 17-Sep-12 09:54 AM, #62
Reply Much Respect, Cainargen (Anonymous), 14-Sep-12 11:59 AM, #47
Reply RE: Much Respect, lasentia, 14-Sep-12 01:53 PM, #52
Reply RE: (AGE DEATH) [BATTLE] Salyeris Nimkerta the Strummer..., The-me, 13-Sep-12 11:06 AM, #27
Reply Glad you enjoyed the char, lasentia, 13-Sep-12 12:37 PM, #35
     Reply RE: Glad you enjoyed the char, The-me, 13-Sep-12 04:48 PM, #41
Reply A Few Final Thoughts, Salyeris (Anonymous), 13-Sep-12 07:27 AM #6
Reply Loved...then hated, Rayihn, 13-Sep-12 07:43 AM, #7
Reply That was the last bard, lasentia, 13-Sep-12 08:53 AM, #11
Reply RE: A Few Final Thoughts, orangepowered, 13-Sep-12 08:28 AM, #8
Reply You were tough as hell, lasentia, 13-Sep-12 09:03 AM, #14
     Reply RE: You were tough as hell, orangepowered, 13-Sep-12 01:41 PM, #39
Reply Goodbyes, Salyeris (Anonymous), 13-Sep-12 08:54 AM, #9
Reply Zameida loved her some Salyeris!, Zameida (Anonymous), 13-Sep-12 09:59 AM, #20
Reply As much as I could like a mage, lasentia, 13-Sep-12 10:04 AM, #22
Reply *grunt* Krunk is best. Dat right., KrunkTheOrc (Anonymous), 13-Sep-12 10:49 AM, #25
Reply The best orc at least :), lasentia, 13-Sep-12 12:22 PM, #31
     Reply Interested in these:, KrunkTheOrc (Anonymous), 24-Sep-12 01:21 PM, #70
          Reply Not really, lasentia, 24-Sep-12 08:40 PM, #71
Reply Thank you!, Narissorin,,,. (Anonymous), 13-Sep-12 11:03 AM, #26
Reply Just tell me you didn't take stonehearted, lasentia, 13-Sep-12 12:28 PM, #33
Reply Forgot me., Kontoln (Anonymous), 13-Sep-12 11:45 AM, #30
Reply Nah, I said that IC, lasentia, 13-Sep-12 12:25 PM, #32
     Reply More to say when I die., kontoln3 (Anonymous), 13-Sep-12 01:46 PM, #40
Reply Damn, I wish we had more time., Abiritha (Anonymous), 13-Sep-12 01:18 PM, #37
Reply RE: Damn, I wish we had more time., lasentia, 14-Sep-12 01:51 PM, #51
Reply Thanks for the compliment, Whiysdan, 13-Sep-12 01:33 PM, #38
Reply So long, Treyliu (Anonymous), 13-Sep-12 06:05 PM, #42
Reply RE: Goodbyes, Kelarin, 13-Sep-12 09:28 PM, #43
Reply RE: Goodbyes, lasentia, 13-Sep-12 10:34 PM, #45
Reply RE: Goodbyes, Bell (NOT Oryntohr), 13-Sep-12 10:12 PM, #44
Reply RE: Goodbyes, lasentia, 14-Sep-12 01:47 PM, #50
Reply Frustrating but necessary, Perr (Anonymous), 14-Sep-12 10:30 AM, #46
Reply That was one of my favorite fights in 990 hours., lasentia, 14-Sep-12 01:46 PM, #49
Reply RE: Goodbyes, Mylene (Anonymous), 14-Sep-12 01:37 PM, #48
Reply RE: Goodbyes, lasentia, 14-Sep-12 02:05 PM, #53
Reply Why would you stand around holding hands with Nexuns?, Namric (Anonymous), 14-Sep-12 02:26 PM, #54
Reply That's perfectly fine., lasentia, 14-Sep-12 03:26 PM, #55
Reply You were a huge part in the shaping of Iklahn, Iklahn (Anonymous), 14-Sep-12 05:12 PM, #56
Reply RE: You were a huge part in the shaping of Iklahn, lasentia, 14-Sep-12 05:30 PM, #57
Reply RE: Goodbyes, balete (Anonymous), 15-Sep-12 11:33 PM, #58
Reply Goodbye Old Friend, Neltouda, 16-Sep-12 08:17 PM, #60
Reply A bit of insight into the player re: the late chapters ..., lasentia, 17-Sep-12 09:38 AM, #61
     Reply Regarding that comment about showing again because the ..., Iklahn (Anonymous), 17-Sep-12 04:33 PM, #65
          Reply RE: Regarding that comment about showing again because ..., lasentia, 17-Sep-12 05:18 PM, #66
Reply RE: Goodbyes, Iunna, 17-Sep-12 10:34 AM, #63
Reply RE: Goodbyes, lasentia, 17-Sep-12 10:56 AM, #64
Reply You scoundrel! You will be missed., Ziruanja (Anonymous), 17-Sep-12 08:43 PM, #67
Reply RE: Goodbyes, Fjarn, 19-Sep-12 06:40 AM, #68
     Reply Means a lot to me to hear that from you., lasentia, 20-Sep-12 10:51 AM, #69
Reply RE: A Few Final Thoughts, Daevryn, 13-Sep-12 08:50 AM, #10
Reply It's shaken., lasentia, 13-Sep-12 09:01 AM, #12
Reply Absolutely one of my favorite characters of all time., Mauz (Anonymous), 13-Sep-12 09:03 AM, #13
Reply Mauz was simply stellar., lasentia, 13-Sep-12 09:13 AM, #15
Reply RE: A Few Final Thoughts, ghafler (Anonymous), 13-Sep-12 10:22 AM, #24
Reply Thanks, lasentia, 13-Sep-12 12:37 PM, #36
Reply We think the same..., TMNS, 13-Sep-12 11:09 AM, #28
Reply Well that was fun., Salyeris (Anonymous), 12-Sep-12 11:07 PM, #2
Reply Watched you as two characters. Was impressed both time..., TMNS, 12-Sep-12 11:43 PM, #3
Reply Thanks, lasentia, 13-Sep-12 09:25 AM, #18
     Reply I knew it was you., Mauz (Anonymous), 13-Sep-12 09:34 AM, #19
          Reply RE: I knew it was you., lasentia, 13-Sep-12 10:09 AM, #23
Reply RE: Well that was fun., Ezgrint (Anonymous), 13-Sep-12 01:58 AM, #4
Reply Ha., lasentia, 13-Sep-12 09:20 AM, #17
     Reply You hit an unkillable fiend on me once too :(, TMNS, 13-Sep-12 11:11 AM, #29
          Reply Ezgrint fought his for days, lasentia, 13-Sep-12 12:33 PM, #34
Reply RE: Well that was fun., Fenarum (Anonymous), 13-Sep-12 06:33 AM, #5
     Reply RE: Well that was fun., lasentia, 13-Sep-12 09:17 AM, #16
Reply RE: (AGE DEATH) [BATTLE] Salyeris Nimkerta the Strummer..., Inerayo (Anonymous), 12-Sep-12 10:58 PM, #1
     Reply Thanks, lasentia, 13-Sep-12 10:01 AM, #21
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #110886 Previous topic | Next topic