Subject: " I remember Rhowyn" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #26444
Show all folders

Baendraa (Guest)Thu 22-Apr-04 02:03 PM

#26469, " I remember Rhowyn"

A good necro, from what I remember. Nice rp, and I remember he was a scion. I'll take back my suggestion of potential bias.

Instead, I'll explain why I think scion powers are better.

For getting the fights you want. Relevant power very limited in some circumstances but very useful in others (on grounds of what affects success rate).

For preventing flee/teleport (there is a way for a spectre scion to do this where other spectres cannot, though it may fail).

For flushing out concealed characters anywhere (unless this has changed), if you plan to be there long. Tribs on the other hand are as vulnerable as any if they stay still long outside of the city, and limited to seeing in civilised surroundings last I checked (i.e. can't see assassins in the wilds).

Nightwalker. Allows you to summon people back to you and have the nightwalker engage them. Special guards don't attack right away. Nightwalker comes anywhere.

Manacles. The trump card of a tribunal against a scion necro, but only if the scion necro is wanted. Otherwise useless, unless trib necro weathers a sleep spell first.

One of the things I think is best about a tribunal is that if criminals come for you, lots of mobs will warn you. However, that only works if they are criminals before they decide to attack you. In all honesty, I think the main power of the tribunal is the long term impact of killing one on duty. If you do, you are going to get an exp pen sub hero and likely find your hunting hampered if you don't die quickly. The danger isn't so much that the tribunal you attack kills you, it is more that you are likely to die to someone else from being wanted or be hampered in your attacks.

Volley. Admittedly, no scion has ever volleyed my sleep, and my scion necro didn't fight many other necromancers, but presumably volley can work against the sleep spell.

Dspl. Nice, particularly if you know of dam reducing preps.

Where a tribunal does hold the edge is that a tribunal can expect to have their powers almost all the time, whilst a scion can expect not to for substantial periods. A tribunal also has limited access to gear from those outside his or her pk.

Tribunal powers on the other hand don't always help a necromancer. For example, the use of guards against criminals means you put them to sleep.

I'm not saying trib powers are useless or weak by any means, because they aren't. However, mechanics-wise, if I could play a tribunal who was allowed to use scion powers instead of my own, I would. Tribunal powers are more raw force oriented. Scion powers are more tactically oriented. I've always seen necromancers as a class that doesn't benefit from raw force as much as flexibility of tactics. You can take the raw force approach, but in many ways, it limits you more than it empowers you.

I also agree that tribunal is strong right now. However, it only matters who is logged on at any point. You don't get the benefit of having many cabalmates if they don't play when you play. I've just been playing for some time and no others were on at any point.

I don't remember if Rhowyn had new scion powers. I didn't think he did, but they are better than the old ones in my view. Anyway, no point in me arguing it further. I imagine everyone has their opinion on this already. That's why I have mine though.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT Topic(DELETED) [None] Ufhram the Infernal [View all] , Death_Angel, Wed 21-Apr-04 01:36 PM
Reply RE: (DELETED) [None] Ufhram the Infernal, Kaeldran (Guest), 21-Apr-04 11:09 PM, #1
     Reply wtf are you saying here?, Baendraa (Guest), 22-Apr-04 04:19 AM, #2
     Reply Yes they are, Xaannix_ (Guest), 22-Apr-04 10:17 AM, #4
          Reply I agree nt, thornheart, 22-Apr-04 11:30 AM, #5
          Reply without second guessing you, Baendraa (Guest), 22-Apr-04 11:40 AM, #7
               Reply Hrm., thornheart, 22-Apr-04 12:19 PM, #8
               Reply I remember Rhowyn, Baendraa (Guest), 22-Apr-04 02:03 PM #12
                    Reply Your points are good, thornheart, 22-Apr-04 04:41 PM, #16
                         Reply Nope, permanewbie, 23-Apr-04 09:53 AM, #19
                              Reply Oops :), thornheart, 23-Apr-04 10:10 AM, #20
                              Reply Almost, Baendraa (Guest), 23-Apr-04 11:08 AM, #21
               Reply Go into another guild, Xaannix_ (Guest), 22-Apr-04 12:58 PM, #9
                    Reply that's a bootable offense, Baendraa (Guest), 22-Apr-04 01:37 PM, #10
                         Reply Um Ive played tribs too, Xaannix_ (Guest), 22-Apr-04 01:55 PM, #11
                              Reply we have different understandings of that then, Baendraa (Guest), 22-Apr-04 02:05 PM, #13
                                   Reply RE: we have different understandings of that then, Lochzan, 22-Apr-04 02:20 PM, #14
                                   Reply perhaps. There's a problem with that though, Baendraa (Guest), 22-Apr-04 02:27 PM, #15
                                   Reply RE: we have different understandings of that then, nepenthe, 23-Apr-04 07:09 AM, #18
          Reply a big plus, but not necessarily as big as you make it, Baendraa (Guest), 22-Apr-04 11:30 AM, #6
               Reply RE: a big plus, but not necessarily as big as you make ..., Rom (Guest), 23-Apr-04 12:52 AM, #17
     Reply RE: (DELETED) [None] Ufhram the Infernal, Ufhram (Guest), 22-Apr-04 09:26 AM, #3
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #26444 Previous topic | Next topic