Subject: "Creeds" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #2784
Show all folders

AmarantheThu 21-Mar-13 11:20 AM
Member since 17th Mar 2003
536 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2784, "Creeds"

I have just launched a new but experimental approach to religion/empowerment in Thera called Creeds.

Creeds are organized or not-so-organized approaches to religion that may or may not be linked to individual immortals. The individual immortal-run religions with tattoos remain unchanged, but Creeds will allow empowerment classes to approach their roles in a more generalized manner than has been traditionally available.

For now, there is only one Creed. Additional Creeds may be added if this approach is well-received by both players and staff. I've chosen a nature-based Creed because as the only current formal nature-based imm, I am committing to handle the fallout if it fails. Good and Evil Creed concepts are already established if reception is favorable.

Creed Empowerment FAQ
(or probably more accurately-called the "PAQ" - Pre-Anticipated Questions]

Q: Why are you doing this?

A: It has always been my feeling that empowerment can too restrictive and/or onerous. This has gotten worse with time. Originally, the active pantheon offered a spread of generalized religion concepts that fit virtually any archetype a player might want to play. As time has progressed, religions have grown increasingly niche, and immortal play times have grown more sporadic. The result is a majority
of mortal priests following a few niche religions, and a lot of players avoiding playing empowerment classes altogether.

Q: So I don't need an immortal anymore for empowerment?

A: You DO still need an immortal for empowerment, just not a *specific* immortal, and the immortal who chooses to empower a pagan will likely do so in another guise, such as an NPC, dream, or disembodied nature spirit, unless they happen to be a pagan-affiliated
deity.

Q: Wasn't this approach to empowerment/religion *always* available?

A: Technically, yes, but the burden of creating a religion concept was completely on the player, and immortals were reluctant to take on such empowerment cases unless the player was extraordinarily persistent or and extraordinarily good roleplayer.

This method provides an in-game RP framework for diverse religion approaches, with documented RP guidelines for both players and staff. All imms capable of empowerment are encouraged to participate.

Q: Why is this option only for Nature-focused roles? I want a to worship a demon/angel/saint!

A: The Greenways/Paganism is an experiment in this empowerment model. At this time, I do not know how it will be received by the players, or what kind of participation rate we will get from the staff. Paganism was the natural (no pun intended) choice, as currently the only active immortal covering that kind of role is me, and I don't always do a good job of covering it.

Q: This sucks! Why can't we just keep the old empowerment method! I liked it!

A: Immortal religions with tattoos remain unchanged. If you still wish to pursue that path to empowerment, you are encouraged to do so. On the other hand, if you choose to follow an immortal like me, and I'm sleeping on the job, you now have an officially sanctioned path to empowerment that doesn't require me logging on. (Do note that immortals are completely free to demand that their followers follow them independent of a creed, if they choose.)

Q: Well, this seems awesome! Why would I ever choose to follow an immortal?

A: Some immortals - at their own descretion - may require direct empowerment from them. Also, choosing a role not linked to the worship of an immortal may completely eliminate the possibility of earning a tattoo.

Also, when choosing an empowerment relationship with a specific immortal, that immortal becomes your advocate, and you pretty much become hands-off for unempowerment except for at the hands of that immortal (barring any extreme RP violations.) If you choose creed-based empowerment, you do not necessarily have such an advocate, and any perceived role violation might result in unempowerment by any imm. If you plan on heavily outside-the-box behavior, you probably still want to seek out an imm advocate.

Q: Is there anything special I need to do to qualify for this empowerment method.

A: Yes. As indicated in the help file, you are required to have one role entry that does nothing but explain your religious beliefs and how they relate to the Creed of choice. (For now, with the Greenways, Paganism being the only choice.) You must choose one of the approved spheres for that Creed.

This role entry will be used to assess your behavior for empowerment
evaulation for the duration of your character's life.

You must also choose a sacred place of prayer appropriate to your creed.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #2784 Previous topic | Next topic