Subject: "RE: Awesome! Quick question for you." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #2260
Show all folders

ValguarneraMon 15-Feb-10 06:57 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2275, "RE: Awesome! Quick question for you."

In general, I agree it's a horrible idea for an orc to wear a shield, but I didn't see a logical reason to prevent Smear from working on it if you really wanted to. (That said, a shield affected by Smear is a suspiciously good shield.) The decision was based on surface area.

As for the full helm, I'd again invoke surface area, and I'm also partial to providing an advantage to a gear classification that is normally a drawback. If you aren't wearing a full helm, you get two pieces of gear with two sets of abilities, and there's already plenty of incentive to do that.

(As an aside, it was an oversight that full helms aren't better than they are for Armor Use skills. I'd like to remedy that at some point to create the kind of strategic decision I allude to above.)

Even if you decide that Smear-ing a shield is nigh-useless (I'd agree, FWIW), and that you'd prefer the spiked mask or whatever to a full helm, you still have four eligible slots-- on body, about body, arms, and legs. The combined impact of that, even at a low Smear skill, is worth the practice slots in my opinion. Note also that Smear boosts Armor Use in those slots, and that they are the best slots (neglecting Shield Block, which is for wussy defensive people anyway) for deflecting blows, especially from foes shorter than you.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicIt's Orctember 1st! [View all] , Valguarnera, Fri 12-Feb-10 07:44 PM
Reply RE: Warbanner, Tac, 15-Feb-10 06:59 PM, #4
Reply RE: Warbanner, Valguarnera, 15-Feb-10 07:01 PM, #7
Reply Awesome! Quick question for you., deBriguy, 15-Feb-10 09:20 AM, #3
Reply RE: Awesome! Quick question for you., incognito, 15-Feb-10 06:59 PM, #5
Reply RE: Awesome! Quick question for you., Valguarnera, 15-Feb-10 06:57 PM #6
Reply <3 so much. NT, Batman (Anonymous), 13-Feb-10 11:26 AM, #2
Reply Awesome news in so many ways!, Amberion, 12-Feb-10 11:47 PM, #1
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #2260 Previous topic | Next topic