Subject: "My additional commentary:" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #1156
Show all folders

DaevrynSat 24-Feb-07 07:07 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1158, "My additional commentary:"

>4) The "top end" (23+) of the DEX scale got adjusted upwards
>for Dodge perhaps a week ago. (Nep?) Previously,
>DEX's impact on Dodge was more 'flat' than how we like
>attributes to work, so the difference between, say, 23 and 24
>was not all that large.

The change was made a week or so ago, but it probably wasn't live until Thursday or Friday.

The difference here still isn't all that enormous -- I'd still say the difference between 23 and 24 or 23 and 25 is bigger in strength, constitution, wisdom, etc. -- but it is a bit of a difference. When Cador and I last really monkeyed with dodge probably 10 years ago, arial warrior was an iconic build and dex meant less than it might have as a result. Ten years pass, most classes has a skill to deal direct damage better than kick, and things look a little different.

>5) Nep reformulated encumbrance somewhat. Previously, if your
>Strength was dropped a good bit, odds are even with very light
>armor you Dodged like a house because you were terribly
>encumbered. (Ironically, the most efficient strategy for
>stopping someone from dodging generally wasn't to hit their
>Dexterity.) The new math still lets you derive some benefit
>from having a high Dexterity even if your Strength has
>dropped. (Very low DEX or letting both STR and DEX drop
>somewhat is still very bad for Dodge.)

Yeah, and really... if you're an arial warrior with a reasonable load and your strength is 3 and your dexterity is 25... you're still probably not dodging anything. The problem previously was more that if you were an arial warrior with a reasonable load and were dropped to, let's say, 14 strength (i.e... you had racial max strength and no +str gear, and someone poisoned or plagued or mid-level-weakened or whirled you or whatever) you would damn near stop dodging entirely. +str gear was much, much more important to preserve your dodging as a dodgy character than +dex.

Now? Well, lowering strength still does hurt dodging a significant amount, but it's probably not more important than lowering dexterity. Obviously, this has some ramifications in that kind of matchup for classes that are built on all -str maledictions and no -dex maledictions and we're aware of that and will be keeping an eye on them and adjusting them accordingly.

I think that's it. Commentary on this post also should go to Gameplay!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicMaking Stuff Count, Part One: Dexterity/Evade [View all] , Valguarnera, Sat 24-Feb-07 06:52 PM
Reply When is hitroll getting done? nt, Larcat, 26-Feb-07 01:04 AM, #3
Reply Careful what you wish for. (n/t), Valguarnera, 26-Feb-07 01:04 AM, #4
Reply Thank you txt, Larcat, 24-Feb-07 07:29 PM, #2
Reply My additional commentary:, Daevryn, 24-Feb-07 07:07 PM #1
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #1156 Previous topic | Next topic