Subject: "Upgrade the Web Page! Step 2: Home Page and Environs!" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Events & Contests Topic #997
Show all folders

DaevrynThu 22-Feb-07 01:46 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#997, "Upgrade the Web Page! Step 2: Home Page and Environs!"

Much boilerplate and text shamelessly lifted from Valg, in defiance of whatever we say about copying below. Do as I say, not as I do!

The Ridiculous Time Pressure:
Let's shoot for a finished product by Friday, March 2nd. That means you want to get submissions in ASAP! Rar! Whip-cracking!

The purpose of the contest:
The content of the main/home page of www.carrionfields.com badly needs replacement. The news information is great for existing players, but not really appropriate for enticing people who haven't played CF or may not even know what a MUD is.

Your goal is to provide that content. Something that someone could find from a web search, ad, or friend's recommendation that would help them decide if they wanted to play CF. Make the game sound cool, but equally, don't make it something it's not. Sell me on the coolness of this game and why I need to give it a try!

That's the main and most important task, and where, given equal quality/work, prizes will mostly go. A sub-task to consider, if you so choose, is writing one or more separate pages that might be linked either from the home page or elsewhere that would explain the differences / cool things about CF to a more specific audience. For example, a page angled at players of commercial MMORPGs that would explain to such a person what kinds of things about CF they might find familiar or attractive in their difference. "You've played X kind of game and you hated Y about it? In CF that's no problem because... " A lot of possibilities are there for people with different backgrounds to enjoy different things about CF and I think we can speak to that. Collectible card games, traditional RPGs, computer RPGs, strategy games, books, people interested in puzzles or problem solving, etc. Who knows? If you know why people who love bass fishing or yahtzee will love CF, get it out there!

But that big paragraph aside, the main, home page is by far the most important thing. Please focus on that first and primarily if you have even the slightest inspiration there.

The Prizes:
We're trying to give the site a facelift and involve the playerbase without breaking the bank. If you want to help, but don't feel like writing material, feel free to buy one or more PBFs and earmark them as "Contest Winner's Choice!" Once we're done, we'll make a decision as to who chipped in the most, and let them name PBFs they'd like published.

Standard boilerplate:
1) Carrion Fields reserves the right to clip, edit, dissect, mangle, fold, staple, merge, reject, re-word or otherwise alter entries based on user and staff feedback, in order to get the best final product possible.

2) All submissions become the property of Carrion Fields, LLC. We will credit all contributors on this forum.

3) Be respectful of the work of others. Any submissions found to be someone else's intellectual property will be rejected immediately, and the submitter possibly disqualified from future contests. Create, don't copy!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT TopicUpgrade the Web Page! Step 2: Home Page and Environs! [View all] , Daevryn, Thu 22-Feb-07 01:46 PM
Reply Belated Commentary..., Daevryn, 07-Mar-07 10:28 PM, #15
Reply My attempt for front page:, DurNominator, 22-Feb-07 04:44 PM, #1
     Reply If I don't know what a MUD is or have experience with g..., Daevryn, 22-Feb-07 04:46 PM, #2
          Reply This is from the hip, but here we go., DeathClaw-Lazy (Guest), 26-Feb-07 11:31 PM, #3
               Reply This is pretty cool., Daevryn, 27-Feb-07 03:16 PM, #4
                    Reply Re: HP, TheDudeWorks (Guest), 27-Feb-07 05:58 PM, #5
                    Reply RE: Re: HP, DeathClaw-lazy (Guest), 27-Feb-07 10:53 PM, #7
                    Reply Done!, Daevryn, 22-May-07 11:40 PM, #16
                         Reply Additionally, Mek (Guest), 23-May-07 12:29 AM, #17
                         Reply RE: Additionally, Daevryn, 23-May-07 12:33 AM, #19
                              Reply RE: Additionally, Mek (Guest), 23-May-07 08:09 AM, #20
                         Reply Oh man, cool., TheDude, 23-May-07 12:38 AM, #18
                         Reply Hrm I guess I'm retarded, TheDude, 24-May-07 04:11 PM, #25
                         Reply I want color, Tac, 24-May-07 01:58 PM, #21
                         Reply RE: I want color, Daevryn, 24-May-07 02:01 PM, #22
                         Reply Does not contain actual gameplay graphics, Tac, 24-May-07 04:11 PM, #23
                         Reply RE: I want color...., Viewer (Guest), 24-May-07 04:11 PM, #24
                              Reply I was under the impression tabletop gaming was dying......, Tac, 24-May-07 05:15 PM, #27
                                   Reply Doesn't really seem like it..., Daevryn, 24-May-07 06:54 PM, #28
                         Reply Cool! I knew Padgett and he killed me too :) (n/t), Maquiavel, 24-May-07 05:15 PM, #26
                         Reply My ego-tastic entry..., Tac, 29-May-07 08:46 AM, #29
                    Reply Also:, Valguarnera, 27-Feb-07 06:20 PM, #6
                    Reply RE: Story Type frontpage, Splntrd, 27-Feb-07 11:51 PM, #8
                         Reply I disagree...., Tac, 28-Feb-07 10:31 AM, #10
                              Reply RE: I disagree...., Splntrd, 28-Feb-07 04:36 PM, #11
                                   Reply I don't know what you mean then...., Tac, 28-Feb-07 07:36 PM, #12
                                   Reply RE: I disagree...., DurNominator, 01-Mar-07 01:07 AM, #13
                                        Reply RE: I disagree...., DC-Lazy (Guest), 01-Mar-07 03:34 PM, #14
                    Reply It's pretty cool, but not enough, DurNominator, 28-Feb-07 07:58 AM, #9
Top General Discussions Events & Contests Topic #997 Previous topic | Next topic