Subject: "Holy Stuff!" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Events & Contests Topic #2776
Show all folders

ValguarneraFri 08-Aug-14 03:00 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2776, "Holy Stuff!"

As you may know, some objects respond to Detect Evil or Detect Good. Many more respond to Detect Evil, largely because it was a ROM flag and it's been around since the first day of CF. We only made the corresponding flag to respond to Detect Good several years ago, and while we've been pretty good about sticking it on things, we keep finding objects that should be "good" but aren't flagged accordingly.

Now that both flags are becoming more mechanically relevant (see the help file on Conviction, but other examples exist), we're on the lookout for items that should have one or the other, but don't.

Rules of the contest:
1) The only viable entries are emails sent to valguarnera@carrionfields.com with (Holy Stuff!) in the subject line.
2) You get +1 to +3 ValgPoints for each item you convince me to change. +1 if I hedge a little but can see it, and +2 if it's clear-cut, and +3 if I feel embarrassed that we didn't already catch it.
3) Scoring is per email address.
4) Each item should be identified by its full name. Ideally, it would also include the area it is from. It should include a sentence about why it should be changed. (A quote from a description will do.) If I can't figure out what item you're talking about, I will get bored and move on to the next email.
5) Submitting many items that don't need to be changed is worth -1,000,004 ValgPoints. Look at the object first, and pick only the solid cases.
6) All submissions will be reviewed chronologically. If an item is changed because of your email, you get the ValgPoint(s) and all future submissions that call out the same item do not. Speed matters!
7) My decisions are final, regardless of consistency or wisdom.
8) The contest closes on August 30th. After that, please feel free to submit other items, but don't expect ValgPoints.
9) Whoever has the second-most ValgPoints at the close of the contest can suggest a brand-new "holy" item (we have plenty of "unholy" items), where it can be found, and rough specifications/descriptions. The item will be added to the game once we're in agreement about it. If the item is really dumb, it won't be added, and I'll either request a new submission or go to the person with the next-most ValgPoints.
10) Current staff members are ineligible.
11) I just changed a lot of items, so you probably want to wait for the first reboot after this one, since I've already claimed those ValgPoints for myself.

Guidelines:
1) Items should have a thematic reason to be changed. Descriptions, properties, its purpose in an area, etc. all count.
2) Any item can count. Even one you can't take, like a fountain.
3) An otherwise ordinary item in the possession of a holy/good person does not necessarily count.
4) Nature is generally deemed neither good nor evil.

FAQs:
1) Isn't this scoring capricious, subjective, and unfair? Yes.
2) Why does the person with the second-most ValgPoints get to design the item? It turns out that I get +4 ValgPoints for each item changed.
3) Can I find out how many ValgPoints I have? Yes, by coming in second and getting the prize. Coffee is for closers.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote
Top General Discussions Events & Contests Topic #2776 Previous topic | Next topic