Subject: "October Role Contest Results!" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Events & Contests Topic #2711
Show all folders

NnaeshukSat 16-Oct-10 11:17 PM
Member since 13th Apr 2010
141 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2711, "October Role Contest Results!"

There were some really good roles in this batch of contestants, but damn were there a lot of entries! Below you'll find my comments for those that entered. Hopefully no one gets there feelers hurt by anything I had to say. Please remember that I'm just one person and this is an opinion based thing. What I think is superb could be utter crap in someone else's opinion and vice versa.

I'd like to congratulate all of the winners for this role contest. There are three people that tied for first place (in no particular order): Growwlen, Onya, and Astire. There were also two people that tied for second place: Qwindlie and Thraris. I hope all of you enjoy your rewards!

Here are comments for the contestants:

1. Ohbehb
Good back story and updates. I like the love/hate dilemma.

2. Balta
Well written role and I like the description of the past, but it tells me very little of why you picked the sphere you did.

3. Cinndria
Really great progression of the character. I like how this character is evil, but in a totally believable way. Absolutely describes everything about the character from race, to class, to sphere, just really well done.

4. Seranna
I really liked the relation of harmony to your view of balance.

5. Qwindlie
Not only do I really enjoy your writing style, but the character seems to jump out at me from reading this role. Really, REALLY well written role.

6. Sraktya
While I understand what you were trying to get across, you kind of seemed to dance around some things that I think could have been more fleshed out. I don't mean a longer role, I just mean more to the point.

7. Uial
This role jumps from innocent, to completely vain, to innocent, to kinda vain again. While I got a good feel for the character, it kind of left me scratching my head thinking, “Is she really vain or is she just a scared little girl?”

8. Thrunna
I like the whole “strong woman” angle you worked, but I really wanted a little more about why you're evil and why you picked the sphere you did.

9. Mazura
You fleshed the character out well, but the whole time I was reading this, I couldn't help thinking, “this could easily be the role of an evil character.”

10. Tiria
Really well written. I'd have a question about something and what the character would do in a situation and it would be answered in the next entry. I also really enjoyed both how you left room for character growth and brought other characters into your role. Good job.

11. Jesmeus
This is a very well written role. Very good use of dogma existing in game. Also, put together in very concise entries.

12. Djuptyr
I like the explanation of how the character learned magic, but it didn't seem to be as important in the role as it should have been for some reason.

13. Bremm
Very interesting and well told story. I yearn to see more!

14. Pandol
This role was very concise and to the point. I was left thinking, “why/how did this character become an anti-paladin?”

15. Growwlen
Wow! This is a very well written role. I can tell you put a lot of effort into this. Very, very good work.

16. Mujarin
This role told a lot, but left me wanting more.

17. Cardum
I could really feel the spirit of the character in reading this role. I liked it.

18. Dahvel
This was a really fun and creative way to explain why a character decided to learn how to change into something else.

19. Herethon
DELETED before the contest was completed

20. Krathwohl
Really well told story. I really enjoyed reading this role.

21. Cawr
Super cool, creative points for the report card style in one of your entries. I really dug the creativity in how you incorporated that and thought it really did a good job in explaining things about the character.

22. Johanasen
Parts of this role really confused me. I'm was left wondering, “how/why is this guy good-hearted, again?”

23. Varuuz
Very well put together and concise role. You do a good job telling a lot of the story with few words.

24. Thnoumundin
At first this role had me scratching my head and asking a lot of questions, but I really like the way you fleshed out the character. This role shows a lot of growth. Good job.

25. Mhuurg

26. Jex
While I liked this role, I wanted more by the time I got to the end of it. I kept thinking, “but, but, but...?”

27. Ralek
While I understand the reason for the sphere you took, I wasn't convinced by the role that this was the thing that meant the most to the character. I think that could have used a little more explanation. I did really enjoy reading this role, though. It was very well put together and well told. I also enjoy people making their characters “human” with a little imperfection like you alluded to at the end of your role.

28. Lydia
For me, this role really rushed into why this character chose the profession she did. I would have liked to hear more about why you are the sphere you are and why you are the ethos you are.

29. Kezawk
While reading this role, I kept asking myself, “why/how is this character good-hearted?”

30. Kakola
While it makes for a good story, it just didn't seem to fit Thera. I'll quote the person that originally rated the role, because I think it's pretty much dead on: “This role seems to rely on a Darsylon where everyone is corrupt and looks the other way during rape.”

31. Kerdh
This role is well written and I like the story. I just couldn't figure out what made this character good. The role seemed to suggest a neutral walking in the skin of a goodie (because of the promise).

32. Gylertisch
Thumbsup on the use of different mediums for your entries. I dig the creativity. I think the whole father angle could have used a little more description/fleshing out.

33. Arkellin
You talk pretty mean in your roles and you tell a lot about what happens to the character in game, but there wasn't really ever anything that happened in the role that made me believe this character was evil. Also, out of 18 entries, you never once mentioned anything about being an arial and how that affected your life. It's definitely not at all necessary, I just figured it would have come up. I did enjoy taking a walk down memory lane with all the old characters. I like it when people put real events and characters into their roles.

34. Ebele
I would have liked to see something in this role about why you are the align/ethos/class you are.

35. Skezok
This was a very entertaining role to read. I liked the twist on the greed angle and the thirst to find a greater magic to protect him. Kudos on a very good role.

36. Dimmigron
This is a REALLY interesting role. I really like the idea you're flirting with here and am very interested to watch it progress and see where it goes. I could have used something in the role telling me why you are the class you are to really make it top notch for me.

37. Hzerliach
I really, really like this role, especially the first 3 entries.

38. Loslorean
I enjoyed how you pulled in an experience with death and put it into a very well written piece to expand and give more depth about the growth of the character up to this point. P.S. Thanks for deleting after I'd already read your role

39. Roland
I liked this role and thought you did a very good job describing who the character is and why he is the way he is. I'm looking forward to seeing this character down the road.

40. Shoshallah
This role made me laugh and that's a good thing. Daddy doesn't sound like a very nice person

41. Gerthak
This character sure seems to be filled with a lot of hate. I would have liked to see where that came from explained in a little bit more detail. For some reason, it just seemed like a leap to me (the reason you used just didn't seem like it would generate that much hate/rage in a being).

42. Kai
This is a good role.

43. Astire
This is a really good and creative role. I really, REALLY dig it.

44. Cala
This is a good role. I really liked the initial role and the updates as the character goes along.

45. Nysp
I could have used a LOT more of “the why” here. After almost every sentence, I found myself asking, “why?” Why are you a conjie? Why are you the ethos/align you are? Why are you the sphere you are? It did make me chuckle that your role shared a title with a Third-eye Blind song

46. Ishoro
This role got right to the point and I appreciate that. I'm curious to see how the little flaw that you've made for yourself plays out.

47. Qheldren
This was a good role, but lacked the flare that really pulls me into some roles.

48. Mayeena
This was a very well written role. I'm interested to see where it goes. I like how you worked the whole felar enslavement angle.

49. Janu
I liked this role, but for some reason, the sphere that you picked never really shone through in it for me. I get how you could get there and understand why you picked it, but I think it could have been fleshed out more thoroughly.

50. Chestav
While this role did a good job of explaining who the character is and it's character traits, I prefer reading story roles. You did do a good job in explaining the who/what/where/why/when's, though.

51. Uhk

52. Jhdelel
I liked this role, but thought that the part about him becoming a Paladin could have been fleshed out a little better. It seemed to be a little bit rushed and anti-climactic.

53. Alyssia
The whole time I was reading this role, I thought to myself, “why is this character a shaman?” I think that could have used a little fleshing out.

54. Gvantulak
The thing I had a problem with was that you assumed Storm giants ruthless murders and torturers. Storm giants are good and I just don't see them doing that. Now, had you explained how the Storm giants strayed from their path and were turned neutral or evil, this might have been okay-ish.

55. Tyridan
I really liked the unique use of rhyme and song in this role.

56. Thraris
This is a really good role. I like how you left room for growth in the beginning chapters and then go back and address things that you (seemingly) intentionally left blank and show how it has effected the characters life, as things have played out.

57. Kremend
This role got a lot better as it went on. The thing I wasn't sold on is why you took to shapeshifting. This seemed much more like a necromancer or maybe even an invoker role in the beginning chapters.

58. Chertgha
For some reason, this role was a little confusing to me. I got what you were trying to say, but I got hung up on which side you decided to travel with. It seemed to be a side that your character wouldn't like, but it was a little hazy to me for some reason.

59. Denawe
I liked this role and thought it was very well put together.

60. Onya
This is a really cool and interesting role. I liked it a whole lot!

61. Gutulk
This character has a good starter role and I like the updates as he moves along. I wasn't sold on his sphere choice at all, though.

62. Noraeth
This role just didn't seem to tell me a whole lot about the character. I would have liked to see the align/ethos/sphere choice fleshed out and described in some detail.

63. Fenlarhn
I liked the story, but the role seems kind of forced. What would make him decide to basically live his life for someone else? I think that could have been fleshed out a little bit more to make it more believable. I also wanted to hear a little more about why you are the ethos and align that you are.

64. Daummin
This was a really entertaining role, but it told me nothing about ethos or sphere. Also, it seemed like you addressed the whole evilness thing after the whole joining the necro guild and it didn't seem to fit, in my eyes. I'd like to reiterate that this role was really humorous and fun to read.

65. Jharazoul
Good role. Really solid and well put together.

66. Vinishi
This might be one of the best one entry roles I've read. It is very well done. The one snag I kept coming back to after reading it was, “would this guy really be this ethos/align after that?” I'm not saying you can't/aren't roleplaying that out just fine, I just couldn't help wonder.

67. Dhaecoru
This was a damned good role. It was hard not to include it in the winning group, there were just some really good roles out there.

68. Juliana
This is a damned good role. I really enjoyed it.

Nae-nae

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicOctober Role Contest Results! [View all] , Nnaeshuk, Sat 16-Oct-10 11:17 PM
Reply You're awesome for this, Stevers, 22-Oct-10 09:23 PM, #4
Reply Cool!, Daummin (Anonymous), 18-Oct-10 08:37 AM, #3
Reply Thank you very much for running it. , Cawr (Anonymous), 17-Oct-10 11:56 PM, #2
Reply Well gosh, Han (Anonymous), 17-Oct-10 10:41 AM, #1
Top General Discussions Events & Contests Topic #2711 Previous topic | Next topic