Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectA modest change to the thief skill tree.
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=9834
9834, A modest change to the thief skill tree.
Posted by Mekantos on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I was checking out the thief skill tree over on Dio's when I noticed something that seemed a bit peculiar regarding the skills 'plant' and 'advanced picklock'. To be more to the point, these skills don't seem like they should be reserved for one type of thief. Plant would be quite useful for trappers and poisoners, and as the skill really seems like a natural "reverse" of stealing, I could see every thief having this ability. Advanced picklock also seems like just a plain ol' thief thing, not just the pickpocket variety. See, other classes can pick locks, and any thief should be innately better at picking locks than assassins or anti-paladins. Also, since pickpockets already exceed every other thief path when it comes to having custom abilities, I think this would help to even things up.

Abilities based upon Thief Paths:
Pickpocket: 19
Binder: 12
Poisoner: 17
Thug: 14
Trapper: 14

Questions, comments, concerns and complaints will not be tolerated. :P
9846, RE: A modest change to the thief skill tree.
Posted by Qaledus on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thieves need some work beyond moving advanced pickpocket around.

On the list.

Qaledus
9873, Some pointers for thieves discussion
Posted by NNNick on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I would like to say I played many thieves. All kinds except trappers.

I always thought thieves were kinda f*cked up in fighting department.
How about giving 'knife' as a general ability somewhere 30+.
May be swap it with 'rogue awareness', so only thugs would have it.

Also I would not mind if you moved cheap_shot highter up skill tree for thugs. This is most powerful skill for thugs. It is only third one to be learned.

I know you guys are re-visiting locks.
But as a general rule I would rather see most locks to be pickable and selected few are pick_proof. Because right now it is total opposite. Makes pick_lock skill almost useless.
9874, RE: Some pointers for thieves discussion
Posted by Nivek1 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I would love to see knife as a general ability.

Cheapshot already takes a lot of "points." For example, if you are a binder and want cheap shot, you lose truss, drag, and (not a biggie here) shadow drag.

What I would like is to *know.* I want to know what skills I can mix and match.
9875, Amen. Wasting your last points like an idiot really hurts *wince* nt
Posted by Aodh on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Not that I've ever done *THAT*...
9877, RE: Some pointers for thieves discussion
Posted by Enbuergo on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thugs have 4 things going for them:

Cheapshot, knife, third attack, sucker hit (which, along with gutshot, kinda as it misses waaaay to often for what it does).

If you nerf two of those, I would be irritated. Especially since they are the best two.
9880, Grapple and separate (or was it isolate)
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Those skills were nice, for a felar, at least.
9837, Unless it is no longer possible
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You can be a full trapper and have plant. My full trapper had plant and discerning gaze.
9845, That's not the point.
Posted by Mekantos on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The point is that plant and advanced picklock look like they belong in the class's standard skill tree, rather than the specialized pickpocket path. They shouldn't use "thief points". At least, that's the issue I'm raising.